Sign in to follow this  
Ms. Moor

Pea stuck in throat

My smallest fancy goldfish has a pea stuck in its throat, I could not fit tweezers that far down to get it. The fish seems fine, but I can see the pea whenever he swims up toward the top of the tank. The peas were cooked and de shelled so I'm thinking it was just too big. Any advice? Do you think the pea will break down enough to swallow? Today is water change day, but not until later. Thanks to you all

I bought some prediction tweezers from the drug store and tried several times and can't get it out. I'm going to leave it there because I think I'm causing more stress than it's worth. Hopefully it will come out on its own.

He'll work it out one way or another. If it was a piece of gravel, that would be a problem if swallowed. But the pea will break down if swallowed. My guess is that it will get waterlogged enough to either spit out or swallow.

Ok, thanks. I'm a bit of a worry wort, lol. The fish seems to be looking for food and swimming fine with occasional stops as if to spit it out.

Have you considered chest compressions?

My smallest fancy goldfish has a pea stuck in its throat, I could not fit tweezers that far down to get it. The fish seems fine, but I can see the pea whenever he swims up toward the top of the tank. The peas were cooked and de shelled so I'm thinking it was just too big. Any advice? Do you think the pea will break down enough to swallow? Today is water change day, but not until later. Thanks to you all

Hi there ...

I experienced this problem some time ago. You can try inserting a few drops of olive oil into the little fella's mouth to aid removal with the tweezers.

Alternatively, instead of trying to remove the pea, break it up in place. If you are confident you have a steady hand, pick away and break it up using the point of a safety pin. If you do not have a steady hand ... blunt the tip first.

The bits of pea will either be digested, or the pieces spat out.

I hope this helps you with your plight.....nurse.gif

Edited by Phillyn17

Relax, the fish will get this chewed.  DP, your smarta__  remark was actually funny.  At least I laughed; (Actually I'm still laughing.)

I smirked, too, DP.

I have no experience removing things from fish. But children's' noses and ears? I'm an expert.

I've encountered a similar issue last year with a pond fish (born at home, looks like a white/red tiger with red vertical stripes on white body). I found him with jaws locked in "O" position with a black thing obstructing his mouth.

I caught him, inspected him carefully and discovered the black thing was a bug. While i was considering QT tank, the fish spited out the bug then immediately took it back in mouth and this time crushed it fair and square.

My opinion is your fish will chew this pea once it is waterlogged enough.

Have you considered chest compressions?

:lol::doh11:

10 points for dp

Thank you ladies. I chuckled a bit myself. If you gave the fish a little squeeze and the pea shot out, it would give new meaning to the term pea shooter!

You are in rare form, DP.

How's your fish doing now?

It was able to swallow it after about 1-2 hrs. In the future I will chop them up a lot smaller

Good to hear she is now alright. :)

It was able to swallow it after about 1-2 hrs. In the future I will chop them up a lot smaller

:thumbup2:

Whew!! :clapping: