Sign in to follow this  
bagh

Will a cordless phone in the house harm Goldfishes?

With the slashing of landline rates, I was just thinking about buying a cordless phone for my home. I am just worried will the cordless phone do any harm to my fishes as the radiation will be there 24X7 in my home and surroundings.

Any day, fishes are my first concern, and I can do away well with a cordless phone. If it harms my fish just a bit then I shall not purchase one. I also turn off WiFi when I'm done working.

I had narrowed down to a 5.8 GHz cordless phone instead of a DECT one, which operates at 1.9 GHz. Because, as far as I know, 5.8 GHz waves would get absorbed more and won't penetrate the water as much as 1.9 GHz waves would.

The cordless phone can be kept at a maximum distance of 15 feet away from the aquarium, with no walls in between.

So kindly can anyone advise me whether I shall go out and purchase a cordless phone or shall I refrain from doing it? Thank you everyone!

I'm no scientist (so feel free to correct me with studies that say otherwise), but I think you're overthinking this, bagho. We've had wireless handsets and a slew of different fish (goldfish, tropicals, etc) over the years and they seemed fine. I think most people have wireless handsets nowadays anyway. :idont

I have never heard of 'cordless phone radiation' doing any harm to fish, or any other pets for that matter. 

I have had those phones and have one now.... no hard no foul with them hun... in fact I live about 4 blocks from a cell and power house :o

I'm no scientist (so feel free to correct me with studies that say otherwise), but I think you're overthinking this, bagho. We've had wireless handsets and a slew of different fish (goldfish, tropicals, etc) over the years and they seemed fine. I think most people have wireless handsets nowadays anyway. :idont

I have never heard of 'cordless phone radiation' doing any harm to fish, or any other pets for that matter. 

I have had those phones and have one now.... no hard no foul with them hun... in fact I live about 4 blocks from a cell and power house :o

Thank you very much for your assurance!

I read a few days ago that cordless phone base stations emit a huge amount of power continuously, even when you're not on a call. The article said old models of analog cordless phones emit very little radiation, compared to today's digital, high frequency phones. That's why I was worried, because they have a fraction of body weight than us, and might be susceptible to the radiation doses that might reach lethal levels in them.

Thanks a bunch for reassuring me.

I'm getting one straight away!  :D