Sign in to follow this  
FishyMandy

Indoor Vs Outdoor (Pic Heavy!)

My fry are about 6 months old now. They are a lot smaller than what they should be at this age, and I've learned my lesson re keeping too many.

40 or so are outside in the pond, the other 10 are inside. I'm going to be rehoming the ones in the pond but and the 10 will go out there. But anway to my point! I love the colour differences between the outdoor and indoor ones. The outdoor ones have been out there for about 2 months. Its amazing to see the difference sunlight makes in action!

cH6Upgl.jpg

OO4z5MN.jpg

C8VTCra.jpg

LvekJwG.jpg

uQzHRZx.jpg

5QYZ0WZ.jpg

kUHo2ho.jpg

cW1GOhZ.jpg

0Sro8V7.jpg

DPIFb4o.jpg

04wcvoU.jpg

hYr0p3R.jpg

590FhPG.jpg

BQlbtaD.jpg

l6wpw7H.jpg

ClQct2B.jpg

SYU2GGI.jpg

BJ67rP2.jpg

8V2y9rZ.jpg

rSWQt4x.jpg

jnBJr0M.jpg

51nszZu.jpg

3y0rVxC.jpg

Rx7Ultb.jpg

Mandy they are cute!  Did you have any of the indoor ones develop the reds the outdoor ones have?

Mandy they are cute!  Did you have any of the indoor ones develop the reds the outdoor ones have?

Not really, one is a bright yellowy orange colour, like a deeper version of the golden comets in pet stores. One in the pond is like that too though. But here are the other five indoor babies, I only included photos of the five biggest in my original post

URckNbj.jpg

q9hixFI.jpg

ePUQwE6.jpg

5Fx7ohY.jpg

mSj3pLW.jpg

Tremendous difference!  This is really interesting to see.

Eating algae in the pond produces the color. Color-enhancing foods contain algae.

That is really interesting….and i thought it was due to the sun exposure.  Always learning….  :)

I've always heard that sunlight affects color.  I've also actually noticed some of my fish fish darkening up after changing the substrate from white to black.

They definitely change color with the substrate.  I moved fish from a black stock tank to a light gray one.  Within an hour the wild-colored fish went from having a dorsal side that was nearly black to bronzy-green.  The reverse happened with the reverse move.  

All my fish are outside, but I don't see any difference in color intensity depending on whether they have full or partial shade. (Full sun is out of the question).  I have observed that fish with a lot of white get what sure looks like sunburn in the summer.  (I asked a fish vet about this,  and he also thought it was sunburn.)   FL sun is something very different from what you have up north.  We describe it as vicious.