Are these OK to add to a tank permanently?

Hi,

I know this is not your usual tank equipment... it is something I found online that I wanted to used for my fishless cycling to hold the fish food.  I thought it would make less mess than just adding the food to the water.   They are food grade, so I thought they might be ok.  Does anyone see any problems with having them in the tank?  I actually really like them...

I did try them without the tea strainer under them, but they float upside down... not quite what I was after, ie. upsidedown ducks.  I might be able to glue a rock to the bottom of them if the strainer is not good to have in the tank all the time...

SANY0858%202_zpsxihrcg2y.jpg

SANY0857%202_zpsn6qqjxek.jpg

Here is more info on where I got them from....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221687139828?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by Ree

The bottoms of those have the possibility of rusting, so please do check them daily. Rust isn't something you want in your aquarium.

Ok will do Chelsea, Ill pull them out at the slightest sign of corrosion.  Thanks for the heads up!  :hi

Those little duckies are ridiculously cute! I want one for my tea...

LOL I couldn't bring myself to dunk them in boiling water.... thought it might scald their little rear ends!  Silly I know, but I couldn't do it !  :no:  :teehee

Dawwwwwwww! I want one too for my tank! :D So cute!

If it's labelled food grade HDPE, you are fine.

OK thanks bagho!  :hi

I'm guessing the strainer is made of stainless steel, which is very resistant to rust. As Chelsea said, keeping an eye on it won't hurt.

I've had plenty a stainless steel tea strainer rust on me from keeping it in water for too long, so I thought I would say something just in case. :)

Awwww cute little quackers!!

I had water bottles for my ferret, hamster and guinea pigs that had a floating duck inside to show the water level :teehee

AAAADDmPXCIAAAAAAAX2Bg.jpg

How cute!  :goodjob

• Supporter

Awwww cute little quackers!!

I had water bottles for my ferret, hamster and guinea pigs that had a floating duck inside to show the water level :teehee

AAAADDmPXCIAAAAAAAX2Bg.jpg

How cute!  :goodjob

Haha I had them for my rats too! So cute