Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

Floaty Ranchu

Thanks for that Sharon.

That is so funny.  Just when I logged back on and I saw this post, I had just finished setting this up.

20150604_133950.jpg

He is swimming better but I think it's from not being deep enough to flip upside down.

If I fill it up any higher, he just flips upside down again.

I have been feeding the NLS Algae gel and frozen Brine shrimp minimally.

Fingers crossed.  He will finish the Kana in 3 days and metro in 5 days.

Should I keep going with the epsom salt?  I'm dosing 1/16 tsp for 5 gallons.

He is seeming regular.  He has the odd clear poop but mostly the color of the NLS gel.

Then you have the right depth for now.  The more he stays upright, the more he can swim, and exercise should help. Maintain the current depth for a week, then increase it by 1cm and see if he can still stay  upright.  

I suggest feeding greens.  Most goldfish like spinach.    Abdominal fat can lead to buoyancy problems, so think of a reducing diet.

Ah gotcha!

Very good idea Sharon.  

Spinach and peas?

Should I still supplement with the NLS gel and the frozen brine shrimp maybe once every 3 days?

His indoor "pond" looks good!

Perfect! You found a good depth for him, and that's very important :)

Thanks Lisa and Arctic mama. He is a bit more active. Hoping beyond hope! :thumbup2:

Edited by Eddie

Ah gotcha!

Very good idea Sharon.  

Spinach and peas?

Should I still supplement with the NLS gel and the frozen brine shrimp maybe once every 3 days?

I didn't mean that you should feed only greens,  just use them in place of some of the more fattening foods.  Like eating a salad instead of a sandwich.   Feed NLS gel, just don't feed a lot.  (He's on a diet.)  Also don't let him pig out on peas.   I probably wouldn't feed frozen brine shrimp as anything other that a treat.  .

Now I get it Sharon.

I will def do that for feeding.

Does he look big to you?

Just for reference for me to know.  Not sure if he is a tvr or svr.

He's always been rather...er all about the base, if you know what I mean.

Uh kinda J-Lo ' esque in the rear.  :teehee 

20150604_201935.jpg

Edited by Eddie

Definitely J-Lo'esque!

He looks very much like my red ranchu, but I almost wonder if he isn't a strong enough swimmer to overcome his imbalance and buoyancy issues because his body is both compact and rear heavy.

If this is the case (congenital issues exacerbated by his eating and activity) then essentially dieting him with greens is an intruiging idea. I'm looking forward to seeing if the tank issues and food change will help. He seems much happier not upside down and getting fin rot from it!

He looks very much like my red ranchu, but I almost wonder if he isn't a strong enough swimmer to overcome his imbalance and buoyancy issues because his body is both compact and rear heavy.

If this is the case (congenital issues exacerbated by his eating and activity) then essentially dieting him with greens is an intruiging idea. I'm looking forward to seeing if the tank issues and food change will help. He seems much happier not upside down and getting fin rot from it!

I agree.  

I will see if i can get a video of him scooting around.

I've noticed that Ranchus with very short bodies and little or no peduncle tend to have issues tilting or rolling forward when at rest.  They have to swim to right themselves.

One more day of metro an my Ranchu is done the meds. No sign of improvement. ???? Thanks for the help everyone. Glad to know I've tried everything.