Test kit expiration?

• Helper

API brand liquid test kits. If we haven't used all the bottles of reagents, do they ever go bad? Do they expire? Does humidity or ambient temperature make a difference?

Mine were printed on the front above the label on each bottle on my new ones. On my old ones, all that was there was a lot number.

• Helper

Yes, there is only a lot number. No other markings on the box or bottles. Any rule of thumb guide? I think I've had this kit four or five years, which is why I was wondering if it needs replacing soon.

Yes, I would think it needs replacing.  I just opened a new kit a few months ago and it gives me a 2020 expiry, BUUUT, I've seen a few comments around that they are very generous on their expiry dates, and my previous kit - which was always kept stored out of sunlight and intense heat, started giving inaccurate readings about 18 months prior to its expiry date.

Next kit you buy, take note of the expiry date somewhere - the numbers wear off really easily on these bottles.  Some of my few-month-old bottles have already lost the dates from smudging and are completely unreadable. 

• Helper

That's a good tip, thank you! I haven't noted any accuracy issues which was surprising to me when I thought about how long I've had my kit, and it's the older model in the cardboard box and not the plastic case, but it seems like replacing it here soon would be wise. So do we think the expiries are five years out? Seven?

My Prodac Test Kits were marked for use within 4 years after manufacture.

Another local brand marked that was good for 3 years.

Maybe we could take 4 years as a rule of thumb if stored as directed.

If it has not run out by then, I consider 3 years time for a replacement. The last four digits of your lot number are supposed to be the month and year that test was manufactured.

• Helper

I think 4 years sounds like a good, conservative rule of thumb, then. I'm pretty darn sure, if we are going by lot number, mine is closer to eight years old.

*ahem*

So I'm going to replace it soon.

What's amazing is that my test results appear totally accurate given observation of then sin and environmental parameters like the age of the filters. Maybe I just got a super kit!

Edited by Arctic Mama

• 2 weeks later...
  • Helper

Ahem.

Correction.

According to the lot numbers, my kit was manufactured in March of 2005. That would be when I got my first fish tank again after moving to Alaska. So more than ten years.

Soooooo.... We're replacing. But I have to say my results are stil spot on accurate among my different tanks and their chemistry, no wonky or inexplicable readings. I'm kind of impressed.

I think 4 years sounds like a good, conservative rule of thumb, then. I'm pretty darn sure, if we are going by lot number, mine is closer to eight years old.

*ahem*

So I'm going to replace it soon.

What's amazing is that my test results appear totally accurate given observation of then sin and environmental parameters like the age of the filters. Maybe I just got a super kit!

:doh11:

:wa

:rofl