An important summer reminder for dog lovers

jenzaar

Hey everyone. It's getting hot, and as summer approaches and outdoor excursions commence, it's important to know the signs of heat stroke for your dogs!

This chart was shared on the bulldog forum I use. There are plenty of smoosh-faced dog owners here, but this goes for all. Always be aware. [emoji14]lease

9c651242ba81cbf76089bd2a28afba2d.jpg

We had a scary moment on Monday. My daughter, Winslow, and I were headed home from about an hour away. The AC stopped working entirely, and then of course traffic stopped dead. This was in 90-ish degree weather. We did have water and a little ice in the car, but I was getting nervous. He was panting so hard. :(

I referred to this (it was saved to my phone) and had my daughter check his tongue and gums, and continue giving him water and ice when he wouldn't devour it.

Fortunately we were able to find an auto parts store that was not far off. He got to have a little field trip in there, and we had the AC recharged after a while.

I would have completely panicked and not known where he was at, if it weren't for this.

*please note

This may not be the most accurate information on overheating/heat stroke. It's just a quick referral tool. You can bet I will be brushing up on this information, as I hope you will, too. I am always careful with him, but things happen when you may not be prepared!

• Admin

That reminds me of what I saw the other week. bothered me a bit....

I took Justine to a Play Place and as we where leaving a lady and her family where coming w there dog... Well the dog cant come in and they tied him outside....no shade no water and it was already 78F outside... the dog was already panting.... :(

Great reminder... the heat can cause your pets to get over heated, even your cats... make sure you got water out all the time guys.... :)

In full agreement with Angie. If i have to, then i keep the car running with the AC on full blast, take the remote and lock him inside. Even that scares the crap outta me though :rofl

That's awful koko. Bluh people!! :mad:

Great post Jenna :thumb:

The heat hasn't hit us yet, but when it does I'll be keeping an eye on my buns too. As far as I know they can only lose heat through their ears (poor Dills!). Last summer, I misted their ears with water, put ice cubes in their water dishes and would leave frozen water bottles on the floor to lie next to if they wanted. I'm going to look out for large ceramic tiles for this year do they can lie on them :)

We take our cat with us in the vehicle lots of times and if it is a bit warm or hot outside, we go prepared. In her carrier and in her stroller we used to wrap frozen water bottles in hand towels and place inside with her. Now we bought a dog pad from the pet store that is filled with gel and you freeze it and it stays soft like those first aid gel packs for sprains etc. It has a puncture proof cover and we put a baby blanket over it and she stays cool by laying on it, she loves it! I think she believes it is a nice cool gel filled water bed :teehee And of course we bring cool water along for kitty and for us too. Our vehicle has air conditioning too so that is a plus. If I go into Wal mart or a different place where pets aren't allowed, my fiancé will stay with her with the air running or if it is just warm, have the windows unrolled all the way with her on leash of course buckled into the car seat belt. Only the Feed stores and the pet stores allow her inside and if she stays out with my guy then I hurry an get what I need even though I know they are staying cool ;)