Pearl scale lost eye?!?! How to treat?

So I left for work this am and all the fish were hunky dory.. Come home and my little 1.5" pearl was missing his button eye and some chunks of his fins... I'm pretty upset about it but wondering what to do to make sure I don't lose him:(

Also he is acting fine, swimming happily (well as happy as he can) and eating normal. The culprit has been caught and is finding a new home here shortly. Still not sure where to put said fish..

Edited by Mackenzie2193

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry about what happened to your fish.  Can you post some photo's of the fins.  Usually having clean fresh water should heal up the fins and keep the missing eye area from getting any kind of infection.   (keep up on your water changes by doing large ones and perhaps addng an extra one in during the week if you only do them once a week)  You might want to fill out the D&D form for the Mods.  They might want you to put your fish in qt while he heals.  

:hi

Sorry to hear about your fish's eye and fins.

Yes, do fill out the D&D form (see link below my signature) so that we can provide you further assistance.

I can post photos shortly, was really just curious on if he should be in qt for a bit. Also noticed he's got some small cuts on his face/gills and some of his pearl scales on same side are missing... This is what I get for having roommates put fish in my tank when I'm gone... P.s. Said culprit fish is a 2" large mouth bass the roommate put in yesterday.... Please don't ask. Lol

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Tank) About 15ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) haven't tested

* Nitrite Level(Tap) haven't tested

* Nitrate level(Tap) haven't tested

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api 5 in 1 strips

* Water temperature? 64 degrees

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gal long, about a year

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon quiet flow 50, size L? They're the ones that go with the filter you buy at petsmart

* How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly about 40%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Saturday 5/23/15 about 30-40%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 3. 1.5" pearl scale, 3" shubunkin, 4" sarasa comet. Previously a 2" large mouth (was the attacker, has been removed)

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Aqueon goldfish sinking pellets

* Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, bass, but as said is gone

* Any medications added to the tank? Not yet

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. No treatment started

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Missing EYE, shredded pectoral fins. Small cuts around face and gills

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? seems to be swimming around with good eye facing out. But not in circles.

I

I'm sorry this happened :(

Poor thing. Let's definitely get him into QT with .1% salt. A 10 gallon QT would be ideal. If using Mortons canning and pickling salt it is 3/4 TEAspoon. per gallon to get to .1% salt. If using aquarium salt it's 1 TEAspoon per gallon for .1% salt.

Also, please test the tap water when you can :hug

Ok. I don't currently have a qt tank as I haven't bought any new fish in over a year and these guys have been seriously healthy. :) so I will run to the store and get him his own qt tank and some aquarium salt. Really want him to make it through this. He's my rescue fish from petsmart.

Or is there any way I could use a rubber maid container or something to that effect? I have a bunch of the 25 gal storage containers. I could get one of those set up quick. I do have a spare 50 gal filter

Yes, any clean container of 10 gallons or more works fine.  We like 10 gallon quarantine/hospital tanks because many medicines come in 10 gallon doses, but you can put 10 gallons of water in a larger container.

Or is there any way I could use a rubber maid container or something to that effect? I have a bunch of the 25 gal storage containers. I could get one of those set up quick. I do have a spare 50 gal filter

of course!! :) just make sure they weren't used with any chemicals and are clean. If you wanted to make sure it's clean, I wiped mine down really quick with a Paper towel using a 1:10 bleach to water ratio and rinsed it out well until the bleach smell was gone. Which it goes away pretty quickly. Then you can fill it with some water and prime and wipe the walls with that and rinse and it should be good!

Get salt that doesn't have any additives in it, just plain salt as the one and only ingredient. It is much cheaper to do it like that than buying aquarium salt. Most members here use Mortons cannon and pickling salt. Fill it to either 10 or 20 gallons as dosing any meds if they are needed will be much easier :). You will want to be dosing prime daily if the ammonia and nitrites are less than 1ppm added together. If they are higher than 1ppm added together, then a 100% water change will need to be done. It is safe to do that as long as the pH and temperature are matched.

EDIT: Sniped by Sharon!

Edited by Mikey

I would also start checking around and see if you can find Seachem MetroPlex locally.  You may need it if a bacterial infection sets in . . . If you can't find it (the big chains do NOT carry them, you'd have to check a locally owned pet store), you can get it online.  Another med to look for would be either triple sulfa OR furan 2 which you should be able to find in a big chain store.

I guess the other fish are lucky to have not been injured.  :(

Oh no - how awful. Glad you're getting rid of the roommate.  :yikes  

Injuring a pet due to self-serving ignorance is  a serious offense.

Poor little guy. He's lucky to have you to take care of him.

Ok, so I'm going to have to go tomorrow to get salt and such as stores here closed at 7, but temporarily he is in my 2.5gal bow that was for my betta (RIP erple) also we don't have any lfs. Just PetCo and petsmart. But he's separated as the other fish were kinda picking at him occasionally, will he be ok in the 2.5 gal overnight until I can get everything set up?

You'll want to do a 100% water change of the 2.5 gallon before you go to bed and then another 100% water change first thing in the morning. Then soon after put him in the QT.

Edit: Also include regular salt at 0.1% concentration.

Edited by LisaCGold

Yeah, all i have for salt is generic iodized table salt. And some of the sea salt. But pretty sure that won't work. But I can double prime. Hopefully all of this doesn't stress him out even more...:( poor chubbs