Goldfish Rescue

This is what her time with me has looked like so far:

5/23/15 - 0.3% salt
5/24/15 - 50% WC, 0.3% salt
5/25/15 - 100% WC, 0.3% salt, double dose of Prazi
5/26/15 - 100% WC, 0.3% salt, normal dose of Prazi, 1.5% salt dip (30 seconds), 2 measures Kanaplex, 1 package furan 2
5/27/15 - 100% WC, 0.3% salt, double dose of Prazi, 1.5% salt dip, 2 measures Kanaplex, 1 package furan 2 
5/28/15 - 100% WC, 0.3% salt, double dose of Prazi, 1.5% salt dip, 2 measures Kanaplex, 1 package furan 2
5/29/15 - 100% WC, 0.3% salt, double dose of Prazi, 1.5% salt dip, 2 measures Kanaplex, 1 package furan 2
5/30/15 - 100% WC, 0.3% salt, double dose of Prazi, 1.8% salt dip, 2 measures Kanaplex, 1 package furan 2
6/1/15 - Wasn't feeling well this day and slept for 16 hours... didn't get her water changed or salt dip done or anything. :(
6/2/15 - 100% WC, 0.3% salt, double dose of Prazi, 2.0% salt dip, 2 measures Kanaplex, 1 package furan 2

I'm changing out 100% of the water daily so I'm just... replacing the prazi after the water changes; is this the correct thing to do?? How do you complete a 'round' of prazi when the water's constantly getting switched out?

Edited by Witticaster

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is amazing.  I can't believe how good she looks!  :hi5

Does she have any ich spots left?  Be sure to note the last day you see any spots then carry out the 0.3% salt for a week after that.  

Take the furan 2 and Kanaplex to 12 days.

As far as the prazi, you'll add prazi for four days, then give her 3 days off (no prazi but still add the other meds and salt).  That would be one round.

What salt are you using?  I'm hoping canning and pickling salt cuz aquarium salt would cost a fortune to change out every day.  :o

Also I think I'd give her a break from the salt dips.  See how she looks after a day off.  If she still looks good, give her another day off.  She may not need them anymore.  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all... unfortunately, this thread has an unhappy ending.

Clementine had been doing GREAT. Her ich had been gone for over a week so I gradually tapered off the salt. She got done with her antibiotics too. Her fins seemed to be regrowing a little bit. This last week, I started a new full-time job, so I was just quickly changing out out her water each morning and tossing some pellets in before I ran out the door, then collapsing into bed when I got home. I noticed she'd been less active since I took her off the antibiotics but was so distracted by life that I didn't pay as much attention as I should have. Over the last few days, I noticed that she was not eating all of her food, but wasn't sure what to do about it besides keeping her water clean. Yesterday, I noticed that she was hanging out at the top of the tank listlessly, and by the evening, I was starting to see pineconing. I added Epsom salts and went to sleep with a heavy heart, and this morning I came in to find that she had passed away. Testing showed no ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates (seems normal for daily 100% WCs) and the same PH as it'd always been (7.4). Her eyes seemed sunken towards the end, and her gills were very red. After she passed, I took a peek under her gill covers and her gills looked almost spikey... lots of rays with the tissue between them sunken away.

It was all very sudden but I feel like if I'd been more attentive I might have been able to do something sooner. Maybe I didn't properly temperature-match her water in all the rush this last week and shocked her already-stressed system? Maybe she needed to be on antibiotics longer? Maybe if I'd posted about it here yesterday or the day before someone might have been able to suggest something that could have saved her?

Thank you so much to everyone who gave their time and effort to try and help her. She was a wonderful fish and I'm so heartbroken that she died this young.