Goldfish Rescue

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much, both of you. I've started her on the Furan 2 and Kanaplex. She has been MUCH more active ever since her salt dip--not bottom sitting at all! She still doesn't look healthy, but at least she's swimming/hovering around instead of laying motionless on the bottom of the tank. Most of the really thick patches of slime coat have also come off. I'll let you all know what she looks like in the morning!

(RIP biological filtration on the QT filter... it was nice knowing you)

• Helper

I hear you on the filter, I'm going through the own of reestablishing my own after it died in QT. Oh well, better the filter dies than the fish!

I don't use a biological filter in a hospital tank.  I do daily 100% water changes.  I may use a clean uncycled filter for circulation and mechanical filtration, but vigorously clean this daily.    

I don't use a biological filter in a hospital tank.  I do daily 100% water changes.  I may use a clean uncycled filter for circulation and mechanical filtration, but vigorously clean this daily.    

I think this is especially important in a case like this . . . .

Hey everyone! She's doing really well compared to yesterday!

a video of her right after she woke up, and
one about 30 minutes later. After her salt dip yesterday, she spent the rest of the day swimming around like in the second video which was so encouraging to see. Her dorsal was even raised a little! She didn't bottom sit at all that I know of, even during the night.

I can't see a lot of change to her fins compared to yesterday, but they haven't gotten any worse, either.

I'm about to go do a WC, clean out the sponge filter, and remove the HOB. In regards to daily 100% water changes - should I readminister the kanaplex immediately after any water change, or still wait two days between doses like it says on the packaging? Do antibiotics like this even linger in the water past the first day or so or do they recommend spacing out the doses to minimize stress to the fish?

Edited by Witticaster

Got it! Thanks. I'm dosing Furan 2 and Kanaplex as per the instructions on the packaging (1 package of Furan 2, and two level measures of kana). Her water has been at 0.3% salt for two days now (I started her at 0.1% when I first got her, and raised it up to 0.3% in 12-hour increments in order to combat her ich). I also put in a double dose of PraziPro the day before yesterday. I hesitate to keep using it now that she's on so many other meds, but I decided to add a normal dose of Prazi to her new water yesterday after her salt dip to avoid changing the water parameters too much. Do you think I should decrease the salt and/or stop the Prazi until she's fought off the more serious problems?

Wow!  She looks so good.  Considering that the fish had ich, you need to keep up the salt for a while longer.  We don't want that coming back.

Have you completed the current round of prazi?  Is that the first or second round?

In the interest of keeping the improvement going, we suggest doing daily salt dips (like the one you did) for a while longer.  Usually the fish will tolerate the high salt a little longer each day.  

Likewise, continue the antibiotic treatments for the duration indicated on the packages.

We believe Clementine, like most neglected fish, has a serious fluke infestation.  This requires prazi treatments.  Prazi is a very safe drug which you can use with other drugs.  Please complete 2 rounds of prazi, then stop prazi treatment for two weeks.  

Update! I've been doing 100% water changes as advised and I'll keep her on the prazi. Her ich came back with a vengeance this morning - she's covered in white dots, much worse than yesterday. However, yesterday's salt dip she managed to stay upright for just until the end of the one minute, and today she stayed upright the entire time! I'll take a photo of her in a few hours, once she's out of her salt dip isolation bucket. She's getting perkier and livelier every day and it's a wonderful thing to see. :')

• Helper

Thanks for the update. The dips will surely help, as will keeping up the salt and heat in conjunction with the prazi treatment. Her responsiveness is a great sign.

nOmsulN.png

CNXkjGY.png

She was much easier to photograph when she wasn't zooming all over the tank nonstop, but I'm glad she's so active. I feel so bad about the ich, though. It definitely looks worse than when I first got her.

You have maintained 0.3% salt for 5 days now, right?  

We've been using a lower than usual concentration of salt in the dips.  I've asked the mod team for recommendations on upping the concentration/duration of the dips.  

Edited by shakaho

It appears quite common to have a "bloom" of ich cysts at this stage of treatment, so we won't worry as long as she seems to be feeling well.

• Helper

It appears quite common to have a "bloom" of ich cysts at this stage of treatment, so we won't worry as long as she seems to be feeling well.

That's good to know it is common. I'd wondered about that, myself.

tumblr_inline_np5jnjD4v41rk6y2w_540.jpg

Well, the ich has vanished again aside from a few spots on her wen! (The 'speckles' in this picture are just air bubbles on the tank wall from the water change.) Talk about a drastic change. There even seems to be a small amount of fin regrowth! Also, you can't see it in this photo since she was busy nyooming everywhere, but she's had her dorsal raised up almost all day.

Um, also, I may have accidentally given her a 1.8% salt dip instead of a 1.5% today. Used some tank water for the dip and forgot to account for the salt already in there. But she had absolutely no problems staying upright.

You could increase the salt in the dip to 2%.  

Dnalex  said the return of the cysts was normal, and that the cysts should drop off within 3 days.  He also said to keep up the 0.3% salt until you have seen no ich spots at all for a full week.

Keeping this thread updated... I continue to go through salt at an astonishing rate and Clementine continues to look better and better. Her ich appears to have entirely vanished but I'll keep her on 0.3% salt for a week as advised. I increased the daily salt dips to 2%--she has to wiggle quite a bit to stay upright, but she makes the effort. I... don't know what to think about her fins? They're short where they 'disintegrated' but the edges seem clean and not ragged and even with photographs it's hard for me to tell if they've gotten any shorter in the last few days or if the disintegration has been stopped. She's still on Furan 2 and Kanaplex as of right now and I'm not exactly sure when to stop these medications.

Thank you again, everyone.

Wow, that's Clementine? What a happy fish!

Can you summarize for the moderators how many salt dips you have done, and how many dosages and days have been done for each of the antibiotics?