Goldfish Rescue

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10-20ppm (it is seriously difficult to tell which is which on the liquid test kit... any tips on telling the two apart?)
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master test kit, liquid
  • * Water temperature? 78 degrees (to combat ich - is this too high?)
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon quarantine, set up two days ago
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penguin 100 filled with cycled media from my main tank (baffled), and a cycled sponge filter that's about 4" x 6".
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? I'm doing 5-day-round Prazi treatments as outlined in this thread, so 50% every five days.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, 50% WC
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? One two-inch (body length) oranda
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Algaemax and peas, once a day and very sparingly
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Well, kind of. She's the only one in there but she's also new!
  • * Any medications added to the tank? 0.3% salt and double dosed Prazi
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Two days ago, I drip acclimated her to her new tank which was set up with 0.1% salt, then gradually upped the dosage to 3% over the next 24 hours. Yesterday, I did a WC and double dosed Prazi; I'm intending to start her on 5-day-round treatments for a month or so.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? "Grains of salt" EVERYWHERE, rips and pinholes in tail, perma-clamped dorsal, what may be ammonia burns visible on her belly, thick and globby slime coat.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She's eating well and will come up to play with my fingers, but she bottom sits when I'm not actively interacting with her. She breathes heavily and when she first arrived she was flashing and rubbing against the sponge filter, but now she's mostly bottom sitting.
Basically, I'm making this thread to ask if there's anything you think I should change while trying to help this new arrival. I rescued this fish from abhorrent conditions two days ago... her tentative name is 'Clementine'. Her old owner had her in a 5 gallon that looked absolutely filthy... I didn't remember to ask how long she kept Clementine in those conditions, but I hope it wasn't long. This is what she looked like when she first arrived:

tumblr_notvjioxkF1tswl0jo1_1280.png

tumblr_notvjioxkF1tswl0jo3_1280.png

This is what she looks like as of two hours ago:

tumblr_noxapg7Qka1tswl0jo1_1280.png

The ich seems to have gone WAY down--I vacuumed up a lot of ich dots that were sitting on the bottom of the tank yesterday. But her slime coat has gone from 'thick' to 'flaking off in large patches and looking absolutely horrifying'. Is this normal when doing a salt treatment?

So yeah... please let me know if there's anything I've missed or what I could do to treat her better. Here's a bonus video of her being ultra cute in one of her lively moods!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a pretty fish!

You wrote, "...then gradually upped the dosage to 3% over the next 24 hours." Just to clarify: I think you meant 0.3% salt and not 3.0% salt, correct?

For ich treatment, you can raise the heat to 78-82* F.  Leave the salt in for about 10 days AFTER the last spot of ich is seen. If you are using Prazi Pro, make sure to double dose the prazi because of the 0.3% salt concentration level.

Other than that your treatment plan looks good to me. A moderator may fine tune it. What meds do you have on hand just in case of secondary infections (symptoms may include Clementine clamping and bottom sitting doesn't stop in the next couple of days or so)?

Nitrate levels of 10-20 are not bad. If you want help trying to decide which ppm the nitrates are at, you can take a picture of the test tube next to the chart and post it here.

Edited by LisaCGold

Such a pretty fish!

You wrote, "...then gradually upped the dosage to 3% over the next 24 hours." Just to clarify: I think you meant 0.3% salt and not 3.0% salt, correct?

For ich treatment, you can raise the heat to 78-82* F.  Leave the salt in for about 10 days AFTER the last spot of ich is seen. If you are using Prazi Pro, make sure to double dose the prazi because of the 0.3% salt concentration level.

Other than that your treatment plan looks good to me. A moderator may fine tune it. What meds do you have on hand just in case of secondary infections (symptoms may include Clementine clamping and bottom sitting doesn't stop in the next couple of days or so)?

Nitrate levels of 10-20 are not bad. If you want help trying to decide which ppm the nitrates are at, you can take a picture of the test tube next to the chart and post it here.

OH GOD yes it's 0.3% not 3%! My bad for the typo! I am double dosing the Prazi.

I have kanaplex, metroplex, epsom salts, melafix, pimafix, some rid-ich stuff, and, uh... I think that's it.

Those meds are good (especially kanaplex and metroplex). You can update us every day or so to let us know how things are going.

Edited by LisaCGold

Have you seen her poop? If so, what does it look like? :idont

Yesterday, her poop was long, clear/white, and stringy. Today I fed her a pea and her poop was, well, pea-green and very short and chunky. I tried to get some photos but the camera refuses to focus on them.

Update: Okay, I'm very concerned after seeing her this morning. She had some fraying on her fins last night but now the fraying has increased dramatically on all four lobes of her tail fin. Can't tell if it's affecting her dorsal or anal fins because she keeps them so clamped up. Here's a photo -  compare with the last photo from less than 24 hours ago:

OQwzoBM.jpg

She perked up to eat some food, but quickly returned to bottom sitting...

Edited by Witticaster

We are still discussing the antibiotic treatment. In the mean time, we'd like you to try a very short salt dip with Clementine. This will help to eradicate external parasites, remove old slime coat, and to encourage generation of a new slime coat.

Below are the instructions. Let us know how she handles it.

SALT DIP
1. dissolve 15 teaspoons salt/gallon of water (15 grams/Liter, or 56.85 g/gallon). This concentration is 1.5%. Let it match the temp/pH of the tank, and make sure to add de-chlorinator. You can also use tank water, but because you are adding a lot of salt per gallon, you will need to heat up the water. Hence, it's crucial that you cool it back down.
2. prepare a holding tank. This is a tank that is pH/temp matched with the main tank, and has been de-chlorinated. This can be a 5 gallon tub, with bubblestone, or something bigger.
3. make sure you have some sort of timer
4. gently lift the fish out of the tank, and place into temp/pH matched salt solution.
5. start timer.
6. if the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 1 minute. Even for 15 seconds would be good.
7. remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2)to let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.
8. if the fish starts to lose balance and cannot get back before the 1 minute, remove him/her and place in holding tank, as described in #6.
9. after 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank. He/She might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

Okay, salt dip completed... it was my first ever salt dip and I am pretty sure I messed it up (definitely handled her too much, and I feel like I should have taken her out right away as soon as it was obvious she wasn't righting herself? I should have looked up more resources before doing the procedure...) I took a video of it, not sure if it'll help. 

I matched PH and temperature on both the holding tank and the salt dip and used the 1.5% salinity that was recommended. She's currently seeming pretty lively in the holding tank. She was floating about dazed-like for a few minutes but now she seems to have regained her balance and is slowly wiggling about.

Also, I picked up some Furan 2 in case it's needed. Thank you so much to everyone for the help and well-wishes. 

Edited by Witticaster

Sorry for double posting, but I also got a photo of her poo. This is from today after eating some New Life Spectrum Algaemax pellets:

rnz1AmF.jpg

Her poop was floating on the first day, but has been sinking ever since. She seems to produce less poop than would be expected for the amount she's eaten... though maybe it's just getting sucked into the HOB before I notice it.

Haha, beat you to it. =)

Edit: Oh my god, she took a HUGE dump in the holding tank! I see why a separate tank was recommended now!

Edited by Witticaster

You and Clementine did well on your first salt dip! You tapped her a bit to see if she would right herself. She didn't and you took her out. That is the right thing to do. It looks like she was in there for over 30 seconds, correct?

We are still discussing the antibiotic treatment behind the scenes...