Sign in to follow this  
Sieta

Possible tumor? Cyst? Ulcer?

Yesterday morning I found a small bump on one of my young fantail(but I suspect he may actually be ryukin) goldfish. I've had him just over a month and he had just came out of quarantine with flying colors. I did not do any treatments while in quarantine.

Test Results for the Following: (tank was properly cycled,but I did a rookie mistake and threw out my seed material a little soon and sent my tank into a mini cycle).

* Ammonia Level(Tank) .25 (before water change)

* Nitrite Level(Tank) .25 (before water change)

* Nitrate level(Tank) 20 (before water change)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)0

* Nitrite Level(Tap)0

* Nitrate level(Tap)0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4, 7.2, ?

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api master, liquid drops

* Water temperature? 70

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 since march

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70 HOB power filter

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 50%, last night

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fantail/ryukin goldfish around 3 inches. 3 Briggs/mystery snails, a colony of MTS and ramshorn snails

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Api stress coat

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Frozen veggies (peas, broccoli,cauliflower, collard greens) at morning and again a night with hikari lionhead goldfish sinking pellets around noon.

* Any new fish added to the tank? The one in question.

* Any medications added to the tank? None

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? The bump in question

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Active, healthy, normal behavior with the exception that this morning he had a hollow and a stressed small clumpy poop.

In the first pic, it looks like it's oozing white.  Is it?  It's hard to tell in the other pics.

Nice pea in the mouth shot BTW.  :rofl

Also I'd suggest adding another AC 70 to your tank.  You are a bit overstocked and underfiltered.  That would help your cycle keep up.

It's not oozing, it honestly looks like a skin tag that humans get. Kind of a transparent flesh look to it.

And yeah I have another filter I am prepping to add. I had only planned on 3 goldfish and my husband picked one out and brought it home on me.

It looks like a tumor.

That's what I was afraid of :( a tumor is untreatable correct?

My .02, as a fishkeeper but non-mod on this forum :)

As long as it isnt impacting her quality of life to where she cannot easily swim or eat I'd just ignore it and focus on enjoying your pet. There are some ways to remove those growths but there is no guarantee they won't recur and surgery on fish can oftentimes be more traumatic than the condition at hand. It just depends.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thanks for the replies.

I just wanted some more opinions and to make sure it didn't need treatment.

I'll treat him well and as long as he is happy I won't take any action, when he starts to suffer I'll cross that bridge then....

Right now he is actually the most frisky and lively one out of the bunch. :)

Most external tumors are just a cosmetic problem.  Fish live to a ripe old age with them. 

Yeah, the main thing is I just wanted to make sure thats what it was.

So everyone is in agreement then it does seem like a tumor?

So this bump has since significantly decreased to the point that I can barely tell where it is...

Does anyone have any more opinions or advice on it?

I don't believe a tumor goes away does it?

Some do.

Thanks for letting me know!

I checked today and it has completely disappeared. Should I expect to see it come back?

It's so tough to say right now. I'd just consider it a good thing it is gone and if it does pop up again resume cautious watching.