Possible bacterial infection - fluid around eye and gulping

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, it to take them off the meds.  We could leave Maxine on the metro for a bit longer but the other meds have run their course.  Could you post some update pics and/or videos so we can see what they look like at this point?  

I've just done a water change before I saw this and put in a new dose of erythromycin and Epsom for Emily and metro triple sulfa and Epsom for Maxine. Can I wait till tomorrow to do a full water change and remove the meds?

Will post a pic of them shortly, they're not in great shape but still very active.

Okay I've just done another water change and so all antibiotics have been removed and so has the Epsom. Should the Epsom still be in there? If so at what dose? Do you think I should carry on with the metronidazole with Maxine or not? Emily's eye looks possibly worse the last few days, Maxine's scales are still raised but bloating has reduced.

So they've both been in Epsom since 26th may at a dose of 1/2 tsp per 5 us gallons. From the 13th June up until this morning they've been in 1tsp per 5 us gallons.

Ah okay, as long as I know I've tried my best to help. Do you think I can put the two girls back in my main tank or not a good idea yet?

I don't know if this is a coincidence but they both seem to be slightly happier since water change and free from the antibiotics. Could just be the fresh water though, but they seem to be slightly more alert and swimming around nicely.

Edited by lillypetal

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update you guys after all the time and effort you put into helping me. So I introduced Emily into the main tank and she's doing well, very active thank god and acting like normal despite her eye.

I didn't want to introduce Maxine yet as she isn't as aggressive as my other two and was worried she would be picked on with her illness. So I've kept her in quarantine but with no Epsom nor antibiotics and I'm doing daily 100% water changes. Some how her scales seem to actually be flattening. Her bloating has definitely reduced and on one side of her her scales have almost flattened 90% I'd say (still near her rear they are raised), and on the other side she's still pineconed but nowhere near the extent that it got to. Praying for a miracle so she can join the other two!

Thank you so much once again x

Just did a massive water change and clean in the main tank and decided it was time to put Maxine back in as I'm having some building work done in the house from tomorrow and worried that in Maxine's open top qt her water might get contaminated. It's really nice to see them all back together, Maxine is swimming, begging and playing but is definitely looking aged since she was last in! Her scales are not 100% flattened still and she is looking very very puffy underneath her chin at the front bit of her belly, but is looking miles better than what she did. Going to keep a close eye on her now and any sign of worsening going to put her back in qt. Meanwhile enjoying the happiness in the tank ❤️ Thank you ALL of you ❤️❤️

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/EDDAFC13-234E-469D-825C-C51610C34182_zpsgrr26mto.jpg

Can't believe I'm saying this but a new problem has just surfaced. ????????????????

Just noticed Maxine has a really dark black patch on her wen, but it's not on the surface like an ammonia burn it looks like it's quite deep inside. She's active and behaving normally but just noticed it. Never heard or seen anything like this. Please help :(

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/E697E06A-FE4A-470E-8756-C6698DF2D069_zpszcocw4cf.jpg

Thank you. The picture doesn't really show it very well but in real life it's pretty obvious that it's not just a surface problem and definitely looks deep. It developed probably over the space of an hour or so. Just so strange.

Thank you so much I really appreciate all your time and effort. It's just the strangest thing, it looks so so deep inside. Yet the surface of her wen is completely intact. I wish I could show you what I mean. She's still behaving normally and really active thank god.

Maxine's been bottom sitting a lot today, really active though when she sees movement in the room and begging a lot but otherwise all my fish seem to want to be cuddling up to her in the corner today.

So it's still there, but not as dark and obvious looking as it was. Her pineconing looks worse again today though sadly, it's gone back to how it was on the last few days of the antibiotics, not at it's worst but very much there. She's not been bottom sitting today though at all which is good. I'm guessing there isn't too much I can do? ????

Maxine's in a terrible way, she's severely pineconed to another whole level, she probably couldn't get worse. Really really bloated and completely distended, has blood streaks on her tummy and her fins have a few tears and look white tinged in places. Otherwise my beautiful girl is really active still and eating well. So distressing to see. The black growth in her wen does seem to have gone. I've left her with Emily and Barbs because they aren't bullying her and I think it's probably best she dies with her friends if no further treatment can be given?

Edited by lillypetal

• Admin

Maxine's in a terrible way, she's severely pineconed to another whole level, she probably couldn't get worse. Really really bloated and completely distended, has blood streaks on her tummy and her fins have a few tears and look white tinged in places. Otherwise my beautiful girl is really active still and eating well. So distressing to see. The black growth in her wen does seem to have gone. I've left her with Emily and Barbs because they aren't bullying her and I think it's probably best she dies with her friends if no further treatment can be given?

The mods and i are talking hun :iwill