Possible bacterial infection - fluid around eye and gulping

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't apologise! Thank you for the help you've all been giving me. I'm currently arranging with the life saving Lis to buy some erythromycin from her, so I'm hoping I can put Emily in qt by Wednesday. Going to have to buy a new qt tub so I can have her and max seperate. Meanwhile I'm doing water changes in my main tank every second day and continuing to add the melafix and prime.

For Maxine I'm about to do the 100% wc in qt, for how long should I continue the metro and triple sulfa treatment for? She is looking very big today poor thing. Also is it best I fast her completely or just give her peas and lettuce to graze on?

Also can I just confirm, that it is okay to have a filter running in qt and it's not going to remove the antibiotics as long as there is no carbon in the cartridge? Sorry, I am just so paranoid I'm doing something incorrect.

Edited by lillypetal

Don't apologise! Thank you for the help you've all been giving me. I'm currently arranging with the life saving Lis to buy some erythromycin from her, so I'm hoping I can put Emily in qt by Wednesday. Going to have to buy a new qt tub so I can have her and max seperate. Meanwhile I'm doing water changes in my main tank every second day and continuing to add the melafix and prime.

For Maxine I'm about to do the 100% wc in qt, for how long should I continue the metro and triple sulfa treatment for? She is looking very big today poor thing. Also is it best I fast her completely or just give her peas and lettuce to graze on?

Also can I just confirm, that it is okay to have a filter running in qt and it's not going to remove the antibiotics as long as there is no carbon in the cartridge? Sorry, I am just so paranoid I'm doing something incorrect.

The Metro should go for at least 14 days and the triple sulfa for at least 10 days.  Dropsy is difficult to treat as it can be the result of several issues with the kidneys.  If Maxine is pooping normally, you can offer her some food, but not too much.  Frozen bloodworms once a day would be good for now.  

The filter is fine as long as there is no carbon or other chemical media in it.

Okay sounds good thanks a lot, one last question (sorry ????) when I receive the erythromycin, should it be used by itself for Emily's eye or in combo with metro or kana (bearing in mind that Emily, like Maxine, has just finished a full course of kana + metro treatment). And I'm assuming Epsom should be continued with her still at the 1tsp per 5 gal dosage.

Okay sounds good thanks a lot, one last question (sorry ) when I receive the erythromycin, should it be used by itself for Emily's eye or in combo with metro or kana (bearing in mind that Emily, like Maxine, has just finished a full course of kana + metro treatment). And I'm assuming Epsom should be continued with her still at the 1tsp per 5 gal dosage.

Just the Erythromycin and Epsom Salt in a QT for Emily only.  Don't bother with a cycled filter, because Erythromycin will kill the bio filter.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update you and ask for a little advice. So with Maxine and her dropsy - I am on day 9 of her triple sulfa with the metro (metro added every other day) and it's really difficult to tell properly because my qt tank is basically a tub with only a top view. She still definitely is a little bit pineconed, possibly not as bad as she was but definitely still there. I think she's looking a little less bloated. She is behaving well, swimming actively and begging me for food everytime I look at her. Tomorrow when I add the last pack of triple sulfa, should I continue with the metro and Epsom only for 14 days and then what should I do?

Emily is on day 6 of her course of erythromycin. Again difficult to tell but I don't think her eye fluid has reduced in size. She is also really active and constantly begging for food. Also both are pooing very healthy solid poos and they aren't string like at all.

Maxine--yes, continue with metro and Epsom. Can you get more triple sulfa or is that hard to get? Can you post a new pic or two for comparison to the original pics?

Emily--is she in erythromycin only or does she also have Epsom?

What dosage do you have them each in of Epsom?

Thanks so much for your reply. So I've got some more triple sulfa on order from the u.s. which I think will probably arrive Thursday. Emily has the Epsom in her tank as well. Both have Epsom in at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 5 us gallons, so have 2 teaspoons in there as both qt's are 10 us gallons. Will post some comparison pics shortly.

Thanks for the pics.  :D

Continue with the metro with Maxine (possibly beyond 14 days if she's still pineconed).  I'd prefer that you could continue with the triple sulfa continuously for at least 14 days but it is what it is I guess.  She will probably be a couple days without it . . .  Keep the Epsom as is.  :D

Continue with the erythro and Epsom with Emily.  

It's a very good sign that they are both active and eating.  

How big are they and how often are you doing WCs?  ARe you feeding once daily?

I've just had a look at the tracking of my order and my order is with customs in the uk, hopefully it gets released fast!! ???? will continue with the protocol as you've advised, thanks so much. They are quite big girls, especially Maxine, I'm not really sure in terms of weight. I've had Maxine for the longest since August 2013. I'm doing every other day 100% water changes and double dosing prime on non water change days. I am feeding them once and sometimes twice daily depending on how much they are pooing. I'm giving them far smaller meals than they are used to though.

They keep doing such sweet things it's amazing how they're character continues to grow with every day. Getting more attached to them and just so badly want them to get better.

Good news - received the triple sulfa today, so I will be continuing the treatment course, was only interrupted for a few hours. What is the maximum duration I can treat for? Maxine is looking really bloated again today :(

And same with the erythromycin with emi, what is the max duration I can treat for?

Triple sulfa isn't as harsh as kanamycin. I will need to check on how long you can use it. The metro we can use for up to 30 days.

I'll check on the erythromycin also.

Glad you got the triple sulfa already. :)

So Maxine is having triple sulfa (1 sachet daily) and metronidazole (2 measures every other day) and Epsom salts (1 tsp per 5 galls every other day) with 100% water changes every other day and prime added on non wc days.

We are on day 12 of treatment of the above course. Please see pics below:

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/5778A6EA-3F3E-4154-B74C-EC1EB9A42DF9_zpso6jj1h8u.jpg

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/008EEEA1-DD74-4EDB-9E85-03F9510BC6E5_zpsthk6ujgz.jpg

She is looking huge poor thing. She is still quite active although I do feel like she's slowing down. Everytime I leave the room she'll go and position herself underneath the filter. When I come in she begs again. She's still eating and pooing normally.

I think I need to accept she's going to go, just want to make her feel as comfortable as possible. Also feel like maybe I should increase her feeding again so at least she's not hungry :(

This is my first fish I've ever had with dropsy and she is my favourite. I just don't know where I've gone wrong. So upset the antibiotics clearly aren't doing much for her.

Edited by lillypetal

Hello, so my girlies are still fighting. I'm on day 15 of triple sulfa and metro with max and Emily's on day 11 of erythromycin. Have you managed to find out about the maximum treatment course for both? Thank you xx

Edited by lillypetal