Possible bacterial infection - fluid around eye and gulping

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done the water change and added Epsom only. Pre water change though Emily was bottom sitting until I was close to the tank and the eye looks like it's gone back to how it was. ????

Hi  :hi

Do you have all 3 fish in the QT, now?  How big is this tank?

Let's try the Melafix for the eye problem.  If this doesn't work, I would try erythromycin as it is good for gram positive eye infections.

Thanks for your replies! I will post a photo as soon as I can. Can I put all my fish back in together again for now whilst I use melafix? I can't help but think some of the bottom sitting issues will resolve if they're reunited?! Also, is melafix compatible with Epsom? I've got some so if it is I will add it straight away. I will also try and order some erythromycin, I've never spent so much on antibiotics for myself than I have for my fish!! ????

Thanks for your replies! I will post a photo as soon as I can. Can I put all my fish back in together again for now whilst I use melafix? I can't help but think some of the bottom sitting issues will resolve if they're reunited?! Also, is melafix compatible with Epsom? I've got some so if it is I will add it straight away. I will also try and order some erythromycin, I've never spent so much on antibiotics for myself than I have for my fish!!

What size is the tank that your want to treat them in?

Yes, you can use Epsom Salt and Melafix together.

Okay brilliant thanks, It's a ~160 litre tank.

If the Melafix and Epsom don't work and you decide to try the Erythromycin, I would recommend doing it in the QT as Erythromycin is hard on filter bacteria.

Okay so I added them all back together, added the melafix and all was well. Just had a quick look at them before I sleep and noticed Maxine has pineconed - never seen her like this and just do not know where to go from now. She is still active and begging but I know pineconing is usually a very bad sign. My other two look fine.

Okay so I added them all back together, added the melafix and all was well. Just had a quick look at them before I sleep and noticed Maxine has pineconed - never seen her like this and just do not know where to go from now. She is still active and begging but I know pineconing is usually a very bad sign. My other two look fine.

Okay, then you want to use Epsom, Metronidazole and Kanaplex for the pineconed fish.

Is this okay even though I've just done a full course of metro and kanaplex on this fish which ended a couple days ago?

Hmmm...and she's already pineconed  :hmm  That's not a good sign :(

You can do the Metro and Epsom, but I would hold off on the Kanaplex if you just did a full treatment. 

I know :( really worried I'm going to lose her, I've got 8 hours of work ahead before I can do anything to help her but going to do a big wc, qt her and start with the metro and epsom as soon as I can get home. This morning before I left for work I saw a big white stringy zig zag poo in the tank so I think maybe she's egg bound? Going to hold off on feeding for today or maybe peas in the evening only? In the past when she's been egg bound I thought her scales were lifted at the back near her pectoral fin but now it's very obvious and throughout her body and she's looking bloated poor thing. Still active though this morning.

I know :( really worried I'm going to lose her, I've got 8 hours of work ahead before I can do anything to help her but going to do a big wc, qt her and start with the metro and epsom as soon as I can get home. This morning before I left for work I saw a big white stringy zig zag poo in the tank so I think maybe she's egg bound? Going to hold off on feeding for today or maybe peas in the evening only? In the past when she's been egg bound I thought her scales were lifted at the back near her pectoral fin but now it's very obvious and throughout her body and she's looking bloated poor thing. Still active though this morning.

Can we get a picture of her from above?

How are the other fish?  Is the Melafix working on the eye issues?  

For Maxine, you could try Triple Sulfa along with the Metronidazole and Epsom.  Sometimes, when one antibiotic fails (e.g. Kanaplex), we have to try a different one.

Emily doesn't seem to be responding to the melafix at all so far. I'm just on my way home from work, someone else did the water change for me today whilst I was at work and Epsom and melafix have been added back in. As soon as I'm back ill show you a picture of Emily's eye and Maxine's pineconing. When I qt Maxine with the metro and tripa sulfa can I put Emily in qt with her for her eye? Or should I wait for the erythromycin to come for Emily? (Will probably take about a week or so to arrive) thanks again for your help, would be absolutely clueless if it wasn't for you guys.

Emily doesn't seem to be responding to the melafix at all so far. I'm just on my way home from work, someone else did the water change for me today whilst I was at work and Epsom and melafix have been added back in. As soon as I'm back ill show you a picture of Emily's eye and Maxine's pineconing. When I qt Maxine with the metro and tripa sulfa can I put Emily in qt with her for her eye? Or should I wait for the erythromycin to come for Emily? (Will probably take about a week or so to arrive) thanks again for your help, would be absolutely clueless if it wasn't for you guys.

You can try treating Emily in the QT with Maxine.  However, if this is a gram positive, bacterial eye infection like Streptococcus, I don't think the Triple Sulfa will work.  You will need the Erythromycin for that.

Ah okay I see. Do you think I should wait for the erythromycin or just put her in with Maxine? I know antibiotic overusage is not good due to resistance and kidney damage, but at the same time I'm worried the erythromycin won't arrive in time. Also about to set up qt, what % should the Epsom be at?

Here are some pictures:

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/405141C2-8243-46D9-99C4-D43C0E19FECF_zpscpyhhmof.jpg

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/E8706304-E985-470D-8FA1-466A3190C9D2_zpsougxii31.jpg

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/28B4F59B-8BC0-4C43-9AAA-320286067C2D_zpskkcrfkvw.jpg

Excuse the quality of the pictures, they won't stop swimming around at the moment but I'm not complaining, happy to see them still so active despite all this ????

Just setting up qt and just realised that I've got two different things, seachem metronidazole (100% metro) which I have very little left of and metroplex (70% metro 30% excipient) which is a new tube. Is metroplex just the newer version? Should I dose at the same amt? With the metronidazole I was using 2 measures per 10 gallons but on the metroplex it says 1 measure per 10 gallons. I've got her in qt just set it up but waiting your instructions on % Epsom and metro dose to use.

Just setting up qt and just realised that I've got two different things, seachem metronidazole (100% metro) which I have very little left of and metroplex (70% metro 30% excipient) which is a new tube. Is metroplex just the newer version? Should I dose at the same amt? With the metronidazole I was using 2 measures per 10 gallons but on the metroplex it says 1 measure per 10 gallons. I've got her in qt just set it up but waiting your instructions on % Epsom and metro dose to use.

Yes, Metroplex is just the new version.  You can use 1-2 measures per 10 gallons.  Use the 2 measures.  Dose 1 Teaspoon of Epsom Salt per 5 gallons of water.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/MetroPlex.html

Okay thanks, I only added 1 measure yesterday so this morning I've added the second. I'm a bit confused with the triple sulfa dosage regime, it says on the box empty 1 pack per 10 usg, repeat after 24 hrs and then after a further 24 hrs do a 25% water change. Won't the water conditions be really bad if I only do a 25% water change after 48hrs. Please advise me on what's the best way to go about this. I have two filters in my normal tank so I put one filter in with Maxine (no carbon in the filter just the filter material) just to keep the circulation of the water going and because the outflow breaks the surface of the water to give her aeration. I know it may kill the cycle in this filter but because it's not my main filter I don't mind this. Is this okay otherwise?

Okay things are getting worse and worse, Emily's other eye now has a ring of fluid around it ???????? the erythromycin I've bought hasn't even been dispatched yet, so worried.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/89CBFD7F-A134-4D4D-B893-47AE91B23244_zpsgld3tnx2.jpg

Hi guys, sorry to be annoying but in a few hours it'll be 48 hours since I started the tripa sulfa treatment and I'm due to do a water change. Please let me know what schedule to follow ie should I be doing a 25% water change only as advised on the package or should I just do a 100% change? Thanks a lot