Possible bacterial infection - fluid around eye and gulping

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 40 (nitrates in tap water are 40 also)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines 7.4

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api drops

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 160litres recently upgraded from 90litres which was established for around 2 years

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua internal 400

* How often do you change the water and how much? At least twice weekly dependant on water results and clarity - at least one 80% water change per week.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Changed 80% on Friday.

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Three fish, two large orandas and my recent join a medium oranda.

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Feed hikari oranda and lionhead twice daily

Once weekly peas and lettuce

Once every few weeks prawns, salmon and boiled egg whites

* Any medications added to the tank?

Added Epsom salts on Friday after water change due to fluid around Emily's eye and I thought my fish Maxine was showing signs of being egg bound again.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

My fish Emily has fluid around her eye which is getting worse over time. She initially developed this around 2-3 months ago but it was only a small amount so I added Epsom in for a wk which didn't help. It didn't progress so I wasn't worried and had bigger problems with my other fish so focused on that. This wk after finishing a 4th wk of prazi I decided to focus on getting Emily's eye better.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

So since water change Emily has just been at the top gulping and this is unusual behaviour for her. She's now very airy as a result and keeps flipping. The fluid around her eye looks like it's getting worse and is slightly cloudy. I live in the uk so my access to medicine isn't the best, I currently have in my kit prazipro, melafix, general tonic, seachem metronidazole and kanaplex, api aquarium salt and Epsom salt. I do not have a heater in my tank but if it's necessary for treatment I can buy it tomorrow. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

This is so stressful ????

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/67535DF0-23EE-4FAA-B8B9-2377A5AF7BB0_zpsbvgqkusk.jpg

That's a picture of her eye.

Also I do have a heater that bit in the above post is incorrect I had copied it from my old message.

Edited by lillypetal

:hi and thanks for filling out the form and posting a pic

I would put her in a QT, add Epsom (1/2 tsp per 5 gallons), metro and kana.  If your QT is at least 10 gallons, you can do WCs every other day and replace meds on WC day.  On the days you don't do a WC, add Prime to the water.

Keep us posted.  :D

Thank you so much for your help and support as always ❤ I just went into my room and Maxine my other fish was bottom sitting, she immediately got up when I walked in but noticed that one of her eyes has a small amount of fluid around it as well , no where near the amount that Emily has, but should I quarantine her as well with Emily?

Edited by lillypetal

• Helper

Those are really high nitrates in your tap water. Wow! I'm sorry your fish aren't feeling well, hopefully we can uncover the cause and kick the symptoms so things return to normal in your tanks :)

Can you get a pic of the fish from above?  It's difficult to tell if there is a fluid ring in the pics .. . .  If you're sure there is a fluid ring, then go ahead and QT this fish also.  What size is your QT?

Also, I"d like a full tank shot.  It's strange that 2 fish would develop popeye at the same time.  I wonder if there is something going on in your tank.

So from top view you can't tell there's any fluid there:

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/7050950F-580A-4FBB-84EE-7684E915C2E8_zpsrkwftfgb.jpg

But when she swims I can just see a tiny tiny sac which looks fluid filled next to one of her eyes moving slightly as she swims.

For tonight I've done a 50% water change as one of my filters has stopped working and I've replaced the Epsom I've removed (dosed at 1/4 tsp per 10 us gallons). Tomorrow morning I'm going to set up qt with Emily (and/or Maxine) should I slowly increase the Epsom to 1/2 tsp per 5 us gallons or can I add it straight away? And I will add the antibiotics in at the same. Will post a full shot of my tank tomorrow.

Okay so I've put Emily and Maxine in qt (Maxine I'm not sure if she needs it but id rather I treat her than not) and I've dosed the antibiotics as per instructions on the tube with Epsom at 1/2 tsp per 5 usg. My qt tank is ~ 17 us gallons. Meanwhile do you think I should start preparing to buy other antibiotics from the US just incase things escalate? Emily is bottom sitting a lot in quarantine ????

Other antibiotics as in different ones or more of what you have?  You will treat with kana for 12 days (6 doses, one dose every other day with no WC on the non dose day) and metro for 14 days (7 doses).  If you don't have enough to continue that long I'd get more.  We won't switch meds before 12 days . . .   If you're looking to  pick up different meds, I'd get triple sulfa and more metronidazole (which we use for many illnesses).  :D

Thank you! Will stock up on more of all three just incase so I can follow the schedule without any interruptions and will keep you updated on my little babies. Thanks ❤️

You know on wc day, should I be doing a 100% water change? I've just bought some more metroplex kanaplex tripa sulfa and furan 2 from eBay although it's going to take a few weeks I think before they arrive. Hopefully I won't need them but I'm worried I'm going to run out of the kanaplex before it arrives

I put in dose number 3 yesterday and I'm doing 100% water changes when I redose. So far the fluid isn't reducing at all though, I will keep going of course but do you think this is normal to see no difference? Emily seems to have perked up a little bit though, the first few days of the course she spent her time bottom sitting but she is active now.

Okay so I've been following the treatment protocol as advised, tomorrow will be the final water change and dose of metronidazole added only (7th dose). Emily still has the fluid around her eye, I think it's possibly reduced a tiny bit but it's still definitely there, it looks almost cloudy. Maxine still has the tiny bit around her eye which is barely noticeable but hasn't reduced with the antibiotics. What would the next step be? ????

So you've done 12 days of Kanaplex, and then you will be putting in final dose of metroplex tomorrow (for total of 14 days)? What about Epsom salt? This is in QT, correct?

Can you post a full picture of your main tank?

That's right, I've been keeping the Epsom going as well at the dose recommended.

This picture is from just before I put Maxine and Emily in qt http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/5059D22C-7224-4C98-914A-1BF0CF140683_zpsnhu9vtlf.jpg

I did have a fake plant in there as well but I removed that when I started adding Epsom.

So this morning both were active before I woke up, haven't seen any bottom sitting for a while (apart from occasionally first thing in the morning when they're still asleep). I thought I saw Maxine flashing yesterday but she only did it once and haven't seen it at all since. Emily's fluid eye seems to have reduced in size this morning so im really happy about that. Really want it to go altogether now! Sometimes I see them just floating in one position but when they see me they immediately start swimming around again. I think that may also be because they don't have a light in qt plus I'm feeding them considerably less because I don't want them to be in polluted water right now.