Pumbaa jumped the tank!

Reds12

So my fat little ryukin, Pumbaa decided to jump the tank while we were out tonight.  He must have been stressed about the work I was doing on the tank, that I left half done while I went out to pick up some more supplies.

I don't know how long he was out for, but it was at least 45 minutes...he was still breathing some when we found him, and is swimming upright, though slowly.  Honestly he seems not too bad except for being a little quiet/traumatized and a couple of little injuries.

He looks like he may have scratched his eye, and there is a little cloudiness to it, but I'm not too concerned about that...a scratch can heal, and if he has any loss of vision it seems a small price to pay.

The thing I did notice that I'm watching is some light bruising on his belly...it looks shallow, so I'm hoping its just surface bruising.

I've turned an extra bubbler on, and they have pristine, freshly changed water...is there anything else I should do other than waiting and hoping for the best?  I put him right into the 55G when we found him, and I didn't want to move him again for fear of stressing him out too much.

I honestly don't know how such a fat-bodied, short-tailed little fish managed to launch himself so far!

I'm sorry about Pumbaa. You may want to consider moving Pumbaa to a QT tank to avoid being picked on while he heals. Check gills to see if okay and red. If so, then 0.1% salt to help with healing.

Hope you continues to feel well.  DandelionBlue's beautiful black comet did something similar (and he was very injured) and made one of the most amazing recoveries I've seen on the forum.

Thanks everyone!  I'm surprised at how well he's doing so far.  He's a bit sluggish, but is eating and pecking around at things in the tank like he always does...I'm questioning if he is seeing as well as normal, but we'll see the permanence of that in time.

Oh my gosh. :(  I would have freaked out :yikes  if I came home 45 minutes later to one of my fish on the floor, but thankfully still breathing  That is amazing!  I hope Pumbaa continues being okay.  

I'm not an expert (AT ALL), but when my mother had issues with multiple fish hopping the tank, there was a pH crash and then an eventual parasite issue (not sure if they were related--I was pretty little when she was having fish adventures). 

Could we get pics of how fat he is? It's not common for fancies to launch themselves like that.

I can't get a good image with my phone and my camera is not available at the moment.   The ones on my phone keep coming out pretty blurry, ugh.

I'm not an expert (AT ALL), but when my mother had issues with multiple fish hopping the tank, there was a pH crash and then an eventual parasite issue (not sure if they were related--I was pretty little when she was having fish adventures). 

Thank you!  He is the only one that has even tried, and I did check water parameters so I know it wasn't a pH crash, but its still good information to have!  Obviously SOMETHING was up, but I still have no clue what.

The only time I've had to rescue a fish from the ground was when there was a wild spawning orgy going on.  A fish that can't jump at all can be pushed out of the tank/pond.  Usually it's a female that winds up airborne.  Are you sure Pumbaa is a boy?

Glad your fish is doing OK. Out of curiosity, how full was the tank? I don't have full lids on mine do I leave the water level a little ways down.

How is he doing?

Seems to be doing well.  Thank you for asking! :)

The only time I've had to rescue a fish from the ground was when there was a wild spawning orgy going on.  A fish that can't jump at all can be pushed out of the tank/pond.  Usually it's a female that winds up airborne.  Are you sure Pumbaa is a boy?

Nope, I'm not sure.  I tend to call goldfish that I don't know the sex of "he" so Pumbaa very well could be a female.  I'm not really all that good at being able to sex goldfish.  I'll see if I can get a couple of pics and maybe someone else will be able to tell?

Glad your fish is doing OK. Out of curiosity, how full was the tank? I don't have full lids on mine do I leave the water level a little ways down.

Thank you, the tank water was about an inch from the rim.  I like it really full so its not a noisy, but I usually have partial covers.  Like I said before, I was doing some tank work and left them off while I went out to pick up a few things...my fault.  I had never seen any of them even try jumping, or any of them get pushed around so the though didn't even cross my mind.   

Ok, so this is where I'm not sure what to think...the top photo, I would look at the vent and think female, but in the second photo you can see what looks like breeding tubercles, which I thought only male goldfish got.  Thoughts?

Pumbaa%201_zps2pvxk6fh.jpg

pumbaa%202_zps0bw1onws.jpg

Those transvestite fish are so annoying!

Ha, aren't they though?!  This made me laugh.

Beautiful photo's.  Looks like breeding stars and the vent ..............?  

That's wonderful that your fish is still doing well.

Thank you, I'm glad.  He's currently chasing after a fly that keeps landing on the outside of the glass, so I guess he's feeling pretty good :)