Sign in to follow this  
Luna

Oranda Fry - May 2015 Spawn

Thanks! I will ideally like to keep 4 to 5 and breed them back to the female. The rest I am not sure what I'll do with yet!  :teehee

I would keep more, remember that of those 4-5 half will be male and probaby when they are a year old half of those 2-3 will have not developed to your liking or have even died.

Ive read breeders grow out about 25 fry to select 5-10 seeds from after a year of age. So if space and time permits i would try and grow out a few more of the fry.

But anyway, the fry need to change their colour first right, lets hope for many bue ones!

Hello all,

Here is an update! They will be three months old in one week time. Most of them are reaching 1" in length, now. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSK1qOX2vsE

IR0sr00.jpg?1

CeIOoFg.jpg?1

9tlHPn4.jpg?1

Edited by Luna

As you can see, some are webbed tail. However, I did not have a lot of stock to choose from, so I just tried to stick with the best and go from there. 

They're adorable. :)

At 3 month you can savely assume tail that are still closed will not open anymore. Next considerations are 'balance' in their caudal fin and if the top finrays run over the top of the peduncle. They last may or may not be an issue, but is considered an undesireable trait.

Dont worry if you cannot find the quality you are looking for, if you do not mind the work and enjoy breeding the fish ill bet you wil get another opportunity ;)

Fantastic read - your babies are lovely!