Another problem--ugh

QandD

I had an accident with Duchess today. She was trying to evade me when I was anxiously doing a huge water change--the dosing of Metro and Kana knocked out my filters and when I tested today, ammonia had leaped up to 1.0 ppm!!! She has now scraped off some scales and is sulking in her waiting bucket; I don't see any blood though. She is a bit bloodshot at the base of her dorsal fins and her tail veins are standing out more. 

Other than the water change, what can I do to make sure she doesn't get another infection? Salt at .1%? Melafix? I feel so terrible. She already is missing scales from all the flukes and so forth.

Are you still dosing metro and kana?

Pics?

Metro and Kana have been done for a few days and there is nothing in the water other than buffer and Prime. 

She is now extremely anxious and ticked off about me having to hold her for these pictures. 

20150522_132912_zpsllnjdg1a.jpg

20150522_132835_zpswxzoyme7.jpg

She is also not swimming at all in the holding tank. She's probably just terrified, I hope, right? I feel SO BAD to have upset her after she was already sick and so forth. There is also a little red spot on her dorsal fin now that was not there before our terrible pursuit. Aghhh!

Edited by QandD

Yes--I always Prime and buffer the tank and try to keep the temperature within 2 degrees F maximum. Before the water change it was 70.6 and now it is 72. Her pH has been around 7.8 lately--after the ammonia spike I checked for any pH crashes.

She seems to be moving around now that she's back home. She really, REALLY despises being handled. Does anyone think something like Melafix--which I know is just like a fish Band-Aid--would help? She has been salted for over a month during Prazi treatments so I am nervous that salt will be ineffective if I keep dosing her with it. I really don't want her to get another infection, which happened after the Prazi rounds. 

Hopefully a Mod will see your questions soon.  For now, I'd just keep her water as clean as possible by perhaps adding an extra w/c to your schedule.  (like if you do weekly water changes add one in the middle of the week and make them large if all parm reading are okay)

• Helper

The salt should stimulate her slime coat, I wouldn't add anything else that would potentially stress her out. But I'm skeptical of melafix in the best of circumstances :). Just make sure you have wet hands when you handle her and keep it to a minimum.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Hopefully a Mod will see your questions soon.  For now, I'd just keep her water as clean as possible by perhaps adding an extra w/c to your schedule.  (like if you do weekly water changes add one in the middle of the week and make them large if all parm reading are okay)

OK--thank you. I will try to not do anything rash with additives, etc. She isn't bleeding other than the red spot on the front of her dorsal fin, so I think I got lucky. I wish I could give her a tranquilizer or speak Goldfish when she needs to come out of the tank!

The salt should stimulate her slime coat, I wouldn't add anything else that would potentially stress her out. But I'm skeptical of melafox in the best of circumstances :). Just make sure you have wet band when you handle her and keep it to a minimum.

Thanks for the advice--so you don't think that treating her (again) with salt after having been in salt for over a month will be ineffective? 

OK--thank you. I will try to not do anything rash with additives, etc. She isn't bleeding other than the red spot on the front of her dorsal fin, so I think I got lucky. I wish I could give her a tranquilizer or speak Goldfish when she needs to come out of the tank!

I'd leave her alone so that she can de-stress.  If your tank lights are on perhaps turn them off for a few hours/rest of the day.  Clean fresh water does wonders for a fish health and especially for any fin issues with tears or red streaks.  When did you last have salt in the tank?  I don't think it would hurt the fish and I don't think it would be ineffective.   

I'd leave her alone so that she can de-stress.  If your tank lights are on perhaps turn them off for a few hours/rest of the day.  Clean fresh water does wonders for a fish health and especially for any fin issues with tears or red streaks.  When did you last have salt in the tank?  I don't think it would hurt the fish and I don't think it would be ineffective.   

She was in salt for her Prazi rounds about a month ago. I might add .1% in the next few hours after she calms down a little.

• Helper

It generally takes a lot longer for salt to be an issue. Many of us have had to do lengthy salt quarantines. Even if it isn't as effective on a pathogen the therapeutic effect on the fish isn't diminished :)

Hopefully a Mod will still see your current concerns.

If there are any changes in your fish appearance please post another photo.  Sometimes it helps to take a pic. while the fish eat/and or chewing.  They aren't swimming around so much.  (this is if a fish in general can eat food that is in the d&d section)

:hi   Sorry, had to bring my daughter to the doctor's office.  Then to get Xrays . . . doctor thinks her arm is broken.  :o

Anyway, I'd stick with 0.1% salt, even if just for a few days.  It should heal up quickly.  :D

:hi   Sorry, had to bring my daughter to the doctor's office.  Then to get Xrays . . . doctor thinks her arm is broken.  :o

Ack! Definitely nothing to apologize for--broken arms are much more concerning!!

Anyway, I'd stick with 0.1% salt, even if just for a few days.  It should heal up quickly.  :D

Thanks for the confirmation. She is now salted and not bottom sitting. Thanks everyone! I'll report back if things take a bad turn. 

Hopefully your daughter's arm will heal up quickly also.  (and during Summer :(  )  I hope she's not in a lot of pain.

Hi all, I just checked and the big water change got D's ammonia down to .25 ppm (she has a good amount of Prime in the tank, so I hope this helps with the situation). The base of her dorsal fin is no longer bright red. However, now she's periodically going to the surface (every 5-10 minutes from what I have seen) and not really gulping but splashing at the tank's surface and then diving and sometimes yawning. I wonder if I hurt her gills in the pursuit? I shut off her light to try to get her to calm down. Could the .1% salt be irritating her? I dissolved it in a stocking (it's Morton's pickling salt). Should I try to increase aeration? I don't know why this spazzing out is happening unless she is still scared in general or the ammonia and/or salt is contributing to the behavior.

I have both filters going and an airstone; I've turned up the airstone to increase surface movement. Sorry--I think I am just feeling worried and guilty after hurting her by accident!

She will be fine.  I've had some awful Python accidents.  2 of them.  Peanut once when he was sooooooo small i could just barely see his lil face sticking out the end of the tubing :yikes then later Bobbie got stuck to the end of it even though it was covered with mesh netting.  :(  They both looked much worse than D and they were back to normal within a day or two.  I think it makes them go :yikes and :scared but they recover quickly.  :D