Sign in to follow this  
Ambers_goldies

Eye bright red, appears blood filled

Hello, 

I am a new member here at kokos goldfish forum. I created this account because, well... I have made some big mistakes, and I need help! I'm a younger teenager, and I'm still fairly new to fish keeping. Though I've done countless hours of research, I thought I knew everything you could know. That is until I stupidly didn't put a screen on my siphon, and my new little oranda baby swam head first into the siphon. His eye popped out of the socket. I was in shock, so I filled up a 5gallon tub, put a small amount of aquarium salt in it, stress coat, and water conditioner. I put him in the tub, and he seemed to be in shock. I asked on my Instagram account "ambersgoldies" what to do. No one in the fish community had a clue. I now do not know if I made the right impulse decision, but as it appeared the optic nerve and vessels were still attached, I thought the eye had a chance, so I gently put it "back" into place. After that I have left it completely alone. At first, nothing changed. Then it started healing, and looking great. I was extremely happy. Then I noticed a little dot in his eye that appeared to be blood. It got bigger and bigger, and now it's around almost his whole eye. (Note I do not know for sure if it is blood, or swelling, or infection.) he is swimming around lively, and eating, and other than his eye, he looks healthy. I am doing 100% water changes daily. He is 2 1/2 inches. I have 2 questions, 1, what do you think the red is, and 2, what steps should I now take? Thank you so much. :) 

:hi and welcome

I'm guessing the red is blood.  If you could please fill out the following form as completely as possible.  A pic or two of the eye would be extremely helpful also.  :D

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Thank you for the welcome :) 

Ammonia and everything have to be zero, for I do a 100% water change daily, and I jut did one 10 minutes ago. Filter is an aqeon 5 gallon normal hang-on filter. He's acting completely normal, I feed him blood worms, and tetra fun floating variety pellets. (I let them soak so they sink) and I am currently treating him with aquarium salt, and ick treatment as I believe he may have a mild case. Also I have Aqua safe water conditioner inside of his quarantine tank. He is acting very lively and healthy. 

Instead of assuming, it would be good to get the parameters tested. Even city water changes every once in awhile regarding parameters, so we would need the exact numbers for everything listed for both tank and tap. And please do fill out everything in the form as the form and provide photos. Having everything in the form helps keep things organized, and the photos will help to make the diagnosis easier on the moderating team as well. 

:heart Good luck, and best wishes.

I hope your fish feels better soon :hug

Welcome to Kokos!  Sorry you have to start off with a problem.

Let me explain, Amber.  There are a lot of questions on the form, and we are used to reading it.  In order to figure out what is going on, we frequently have to go back and forth through the thread to collect all the information we need.  Then we come to a paragraph, instead of a form, with most of the info we need not there ...   :wall   We are not supposed to attempt a diagnosis without all the needed information, and certainly not recommend a treatment.

If the reason you don't have parameters is that you don't have a test kit,  take a samples of water (tap water and tank water before water change) to your fish/pet store for testing.  Insist on getting the numbers, not something like "fine, safe, high, low, etc."  Most of us use the API Freshwater Master Kit, which most pet stores carry.

The general recommendation for any injured goldfish is very clean water containing 0.1% salt.  This is one teaspoon per gallon.  We need pictures to see what the injured eye looks like and also to see if the fish does have ich.  If you have an account at Photobucket or another such site, you can upload your pictures there and copy them into your post.

We recommend all new members read our guidelines for goldfish care.