Sign in to follow this  
lizam

Oranda changing colour to black in quarantine

Hi,  I just got Cherub over a week ago and he/she was solid orange with white on her fins.  Now there is black edging and it's showing up on her sides as well.   I did some reading and I guess this could be healing...or is this  the Prazi?  The smaller oranda, Jadzia, looks all clear and in fact the bit of black she had on her  when I first got her completely faded away.  I got Jadzia two weeks previously.

Test Results for the Following: •* Ammonia Level(Tank) .25
•* Nitrite Level(Tank) .25
•* Nitrate level(Tank) 5.0
•* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
•* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
•* Nitrate level(Tap) 0
•* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
•* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
Other Required Info: •* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drop Test
•* Water temperature? 76
•* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons quarantine tank since May 16 with 2 oranda goldfish
•* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear (Fluval) 30
•* How often do you change the water and how much? daily 60%-80%
  •* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 80% yesterday (try to do around the same time of day
•* How many fish in the tank and their size? one 2 inch approx. (head to end of tail) and almost 3 inch (head to tail) - this is the one I am concerned about - named Cherub
•* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
•* What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy Solient Green, New Life Spectrum goldfish formula 3X and then peas/veggie 1X per day
•* Any new fish added to the tank? I had the smaller fish (Jadzia) in a 5 gallon for approximately two weeks before I got Cherub
•* Any medications added to the tank? yes I just completed 5 days of Prazi yesterday
•* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt .1 daily and Prazi (recommended dose for 5 days) and now for the past 24 hours just .1 salt.
•* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No just the colour change in the past few days of Cherub
•* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No none.  Fish swim and eat very happily!

I was going to start Prazi treatment again tomorrow after the daily water change but I am not sure if I should?  Thanks for your help.

post-24797-0-45257800-1432180049_thumb.j

This is another picture...hard to get a good pic because they are so fast.  But that's both of them :)

post-24797-0-47230200-1432180889_thumb.j

Edited by lizam

It's happening to one of mine too.. :( hopefully it's nothing serious (ammonia burn, etc)..

20150520_224843%20-%20Copy_zps8vbz22td.j

Im gonna follow your topic to get some input from the experts..

Best of wishes!!

It's happening to one of mine too.. :( hopefully it's nothing serious (ammonia burn, etc)..

20150520_224843%20-%20Copy_zps8vbz22td.j

Im gonna follow your topic to get some input from the experts..

Best of wishes!!

Aww thanks!  I will follow yours too.  Hope yours does well! :)  I'm already so attached to mine.

That's melanophore migration. The pattern and distribution makes that pretty clear :). The good news is that it doesn't happen unless conditions have improved for the fish. I've had healthy fish get it when I've let my water quality slip a bit, or even over mechanical injuries like spawning bumps, syphon accidents, etc. And it's even happened once or twice randomly - I still don't know why!

That's melanophore migration. The pattern and distribution makes that pretty clear :). The good news is that it doesn't happen unless conditions have improved for the fish. I've had healthy fish get it when I've let my water quality slip a bit, or even over mechanical injuries like spawning bumps, syphon accidents, etc. And it's even happened once or twice randomly - I still don't know why!

Oh good that's a releif :)  Thanks so it's okay to just continue on with the 2nd set of Prazi?

I would continue with the treatment... But I would suggest if you can do more water changes... your nitrites are high and I think the black is the ammonia burns healing now....

It looks like ammonia burn which is healing.  It has absolutely nothing to do with prazi.  As long as you keep changing water daily the fish will be fine.  I think you might reduce the amount of feeding until your tank is completely cycled -- zero ammonia and zero nitrite measured before water change.  I suggest one feeding a day of commercial food with a second feeding of veggies.  This should allow you to decrease  your daily water change to 50%.

I would continue with the treatment... But I would suggest if you can do more water changes... your nitrites are high and I think the black is the ammonia burns healing now....

It looks like ammonia burn which is healing.  It has absolutely nothing to do with prazi.  As long as you keep changing water daily the fish will be fine.  I think you might reduce the amount of feeding until your tank is completely cycled -- zero ammonia and zero nitrite measured before water change.  I suggest one feeding a day of commercial food with a second feeding of veggies.  This should allow you to decrease  your daily water change to 50%.

Thanks for sure I will do more water changes and feed less.  I am just wondering since it's been such a short time that I had her and black started showing up maybe 3 days after having her, if it had to do with bringing her home?  It was probably about 5-6 hours she spent in the bag unfortunately.  The boarder crossing back into Canada was a bit of gong show but that's another story. :no:

The first fish I got, Jadzia, had  a bit of black markings, likely ammonia burns, when I got her and they went away quickly after I got her.

Regardless, I feel bad and thank you for your help. :)

Assuming these are ammonia burns, you should remember they turn black as they are healing.  The initial burns would be reddish.

Lots for me to learn for sure.   Glad I joined the group to get some support.    :)

When I brought my last fish home, he was in the bag for a good 5-6 hours and didn't show any signs of ammonia burns (although he did have a touch of ich :o ).   The black is healing so I would think that the black you are seeing may very well have been from ammonia in the water before you even had the fish.  :D

Clean water will clear it up.  :D

When I brought my last fish home, he was in the bag for a good 5-6 hours and didn't show any signs of ammonia burns (although he did have a touch of ich :o ).   The black is healing so I would think that the black you are seeing may very well have been from ammonia in the water before you even had the fish.  :D

Clean water will clear it up.  :D

Thanks:)  I really have to get over the feeding too much though.   :doh11:  They rush up to the front of the tank when I'm near and I see their little sweet faces and mouths moving. It looks like they are saying, "feed me, feed me!"  Next thing I know the minute after I feed them, they do it again.  :blink: It's pretty hard not to love them.