Sign in to follow this  
cheney-8@live.com

Relearning Goldfish Care

Hi all, 

I used to be a frequenter on this site but I have not owned goldfish in years. Suddenly today I rescued three goldfish living in terrible living conditions 

( In bags with a previously lived in 10 gallon tank, no filter, never been cleaned, etc) So far I have done a 100% water change and cleaned the sides of the tank but left the the rocks in the bottom of the tank which will hopefully help maintain the tank's nitrogen cycle and put an aerator and a filter for a 30 gallon tank in. Is that ok? and then probably like 90% water changes every two days? I have a 20 gallon but I am trying to get at least a 40 gallon to transfer them into as soon as i can set up the nitrogen cycle. I have found myself frantically trying to remember everything about goldfish and I would really appreciate some advice on what to do next. 

The fish themselves look really healthy, their fins are in excellent condition and they are very energetic. They even appear to be closely bonded.

I used tetra aquasafe plus to treat the water because it is what they had at the petstore and the food they came with. I figure it is best not to switch right away, even if it is something higher quality. Any brand recs would be greatly appreciated. Can you still buy pro gold?

Edited by Chenagoldie

Hello and welcome back!  :hi

Here is a link that may help you remember some of the things you need to get started:
http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121320-kokos-goldfish-forum-guidelines-for-healthy-goldfish/

Switching to a higher quality food right away shouldn't be a problem. I would say doing it the sooner the better. Here is a link on foods that may be helpful to you:
http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121436-best-food/?hl=%2Bbest+%2Bfood

Pro Gold is no longer available because Goldfish Connection is no longer in business. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Welcome back to the wonderful world of goldfish.  Good luck with your new goldfish.

Just wanted to say Welcome Back & hope your goldies do wonderful!!!!!

(Pictures when you get a chance!!) :P

Hi and Welcome back to the forum.

You can probably find all your answers here on Koko's by a little researching if you have the time. 

I do think that most of us use Prime.  It's highly recommended for it's very concentrated and it removes ammonia, chlorine, and chloramine.  A little bit goes a long way.  Some great goldfish food that is easily available in most pet stores are: New Life Spectrum Thera A sinking pellets, size 1mm, Omega One sinking pellets, size 1mm.  Frozen blood worms are great for a treat a couple times a week.  Don't mistake this by Freeze Dried Worms though.  A lot of members feed Gel foods.  I'll eventually be trying some for my fish soon, I think.  I believe you can purchase a newer brand that came out at Petco not too long ago.  There have been great reviews on it.  I can't think of the brand.  It might be in the link that gfg82 gave you. 

Hi all! Thanks for the support! Goldfish are doing well, I moved the two bigger ones to a 20 gallon for now. I am hoping to get a deal on a 60 gallon tank sometime this week so I can get it up and cycling.  :happydance

Would the best way to do that be to put that black biofilter thing from the old tank in the new tank and then transfer some tank water when I do a water change? And does the amount of old fishtank water I put in affect the amount of time it takes to cycle?

Here are some pictures! 

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-CFGFV-lTBwdUtaODBnaFcxcG8&usp=sharing

Edited by Chenagoldie

your good BB's will be in your gravel and filter hun.... you dont need to save the water if you dont want to....It would be like doing a large water change :)

Hi all! Thanks for the support! Goldfish are doing well, I moved the two bigger ones to a 20 gallon for now. I am hoping to get a deal on a 60 gallon tank sometime this week so I can get it up and cycling.  :happydance

Would the best way to do that be to put that black biofilter thing from the old tank in the new tank and then transfer some tank water when I do a water change? And does the amount of old fishtank water I put in affect the amount of time it takes to cycle?

Here are some pictures! 

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-CFGFV-lTBwdUtaODBnaFcxcG8&usp=sharing

Moving the biofilter to the new tank will bring almost all of the "cycle" you have now with it. I recommend you move the biofilter, the stones from the bottom,  the plants, and the fish into the new tank with all new water.  The nitrifying microbes that you need grow on surfaces, not in the water and the fish like clean water.

Do you have a test kit?  You do have to watch ammonia and nitrite until the new tank is completely cycled. 

Your fish look nice and healthy.