Emergency! I can see bones on frayed fins! Dying

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would prazi be helpful at all in this situation ?

Would prazi be helpful at all in this situation ?

No, Prazi only kills flukes and other worms.  You want Metronidazole for internal parasites and bacterial infections and either Kanamycin or Furan-2 for the external skin and fin infections.

He's suffering. I tried feeding him, he spit the food out. I cleaned the water twice today. What can I do? I hate helplessly seeing him there. He's still alive and he's still breathing. His bones are falling off. He probably kn so much pain 4b5aa2b01506527f8694017fd079022d.jpg

• Helper

Can you go to the store and buy clove essential oil? Straight, no blends? Any store with a natural foods/organic section will usually have essential oils on hand, which is where you would find it. It may be time to euthanize your pet of you're up for it. There is a good tutorial here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/114643-euthanizing-a-video-demonstration/

It's a very personal decision and if you decide to try and treat that's okay, too, but he does look very poorly. I'm sorry you have to be faced with this, watching a pet suffer is so hard :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Helper

No ma'am.

-------> Opinion ahoy!

The clove oil is an anesthetic and analgesic. If you put it on your lip it will numb it, for example. Too much is toxic, but that's why Helen puts in just a little in the water firsts. It slows the respiration of the fish and deadens sensation, drowsing it and eventually putting the animal to sleep with the slower respiration and limbic system/telencephalon. They can't feel or respond to sensory input once sufficiently dosed, and clove a topical/local analgesic often used in developing countries for surgeries, or even teething pain. It deadens nerve sensation.

No stinging.

No burning.

No suffocating feeling.

With fish we do not have gas options like larger animals do. Clove oil alone is extremely humane. Notice how her fish isn't struggling or panicking - no frenetic swimming, jerking, color blanching, or clamping to show stress. Our animals cannot talk to us, so we go by their physiological cues as guidance. Clove oil consistently produces solid results without frightening, injuring, or prolonging suffering of the animal. From all we can tell they just slow down, drift off, and are unaware they're slipping away. They just go to sleep. That's the best anyone can ask for with euthanization, I think.

Additionally, clove oil is inexpensive and misdosing won't hurt the animal. Some methods, if not executed properly, are injurious and stressful. This is not. It's far and away the most reliable, least problematic option available for home euthanizing.

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Helper

I'm sorry for the loss of your sweet pet. It's good to keep clove oil on hand as long as you have fish, though, because if they need surgery or anesthetizing you won't be without it again.

:grouphug:

I'm so sorry that your fish passed away.   :hug

I don't think his named was used at all during this thread.  What was his/her name?  Your fish is at rest now.  :angel:

His name is Fin and he's a male. Thank you so much for trying to help and being there with me [emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️ 588868911335197fc61a298fe67a7eb1.jpg9dd3318e9a448d94bba06455382406ad.jpg

Is there anything I can do in my main tank to ensure that the other 2 are unaffected? I cleaned up the quarantine tank well. Should I quarantine them individually to pay close attention and make sure they are fine or is it unnecessary?