I have a list!

1. Is there such thing as too many water changes with goldfish?

2. Can goldfish sleep with a lot of water movement? My control valve for my bubble wall broke, so I'm going to replace it today (my day off) or tomorrow (when I go into work). Today, if the goldfish cares at all. She seems to like the bubbles themselves. Swims to the back of the tank to play in them or ride the bubbles up.

3. I think my goldfish is changing colour in places already. At first I thought she had a bruise or sickness, but when I look closer, it looks as if her pigment's changing. It's only on lighter orange patches of her skin/scales. It's darkening around the edges and looks like it's turning brown from a distance, but when I go up close, I see it only looks brown because it's black layering on top of the light orange. In the past few days, it seems to be getting slightly darker. I've had my goldfish for 2 full weeks I think now. Can colour change happen so quickly? Or is this something to keep an eye on? I've been working at a pet store for half a year now, and have seen my share of sick fish. This doesn't look like sickness to me, but I didn't imagine colour changing would be this abrupt. I know some fish will darken in colour if they are not doing well. If anyone could shed some light on this subject for me, that would be great. XD

4. How much do you guys feed your goldfish? I feed two meals per day. Usually pellets in the morning, and then something like duckweed or frozen brineshrimp, plankton, or bloodworms at night. It's a pinch of the pellets, and then a pinch of the frozen stuff. I know what is too much (made that mistake earlier on), but don't know how little is too little. I want to encourage my fish to grow, or at least give it enough nutrients and fat so that if it's trying to grow, it can. I heard that goldfish eat more in the summer. I just moved out, and we don't have an air conditioner yet, but we are hopefully getting one soon. Our apartment also gets lots of natural light, so at the moment, my goldfish tank is at 74 degrees F. I keep the balcony door open and a fan on to help create a breeze sometimes. So not sure how much I should be feeding due to the temperature as well.

5. Also, any tips on keeping the temperature down? DX

Edited by GrumpyFish

No.  However there can be a problem with water changes that are too large.  This only occurs when your tap water is toxic, substantially different from your tank water in pH, or of variable quality.

2. Can goldfish sleep with a lot of water movement? My control valve for my bubble wall broke, so I'm going to replace it today (my day off) or tomorrow (when I go into work). Today, if the goldfish cares at all. She seems to like the bubbles themselves. Swims to the back of the tank to play in them or ride the bubbles up.

Yes.  there is virtually always a quiet area somewhere in the tank.

3. I think my goldfish is changing colour in places already. At first I thought she had a bruise or sickness, but when I look closer, it looks as if her pigment's changing. It's only on lighter orange patches of her skin/scales. It's darkening around the edges and looks like it's turning brown from a distance, but when I go up close, I see it only looks brown because it's black layering on top of the light orange. In the past few days, it seems to be getting slightly darker. I've had my goldfish for 2 full weeks I think now. Can colour change happen so quickly? Or is this something to keep an eye on? I've been working at a pet store for half a year now, and have seen my share of sick fish. This doesn't look like sickness to me, but I didn't imagine colour changing would be this abrupt. I know some fish will darken in colour if they are not doing well. If anyone could shed some light on this subject for me, that would be great. XD

I've had a goldfish go from ~50% each red and white to pure white in a week.  Acquiring black is rather ususual, so you might want to start a thread on  that.

4. How much do you guys feed your goldfish? I feed two meals per day. Usually pellets in the morning, and then something like duckweed or frozen brineshrimp, plankton, or bloodworms at night. It's a pinch of the pellets, and then a pinch of the frozen stuff. I know what is too much (made that mistake earlier on), but don't know how little is too little. I want to encourage my fish to grow, or at least give it enough nutrients and fat so that if it's trying to grow, it can. I heard that goldfish eat more in the summer. I just moved out, and we don't have an air conditioner yet, but we are hopefully getting one soon. Our apartment also gets lots of natural light, so at the moment, my goldfish tank is at 74 degrees F. I keep the balcony door open and a fan on to help create a breeze sometimes. So not sure how much I should be feeding due to the temperature as well.

A mouthful.  A goldfish will grab pellets until no more fit in its mouth, then settle down to chew.  As soon as that mouthful is swallowed, it will be looking for more.  It doesn't need a second mouthful of pellets.  I wouldn't feed frozen brineshrimp or bloodworms on a daily basis.  Vegetables are a better choice for a second meal.  Duckweed is always good.

74F is a midrange temperature for goldfish.  The optimum temperature for a goldfish is the one to which it is acclimated. At higher temperatures, the fish will eat more  and be more active until it gets to a water temperature higher than is comfortable.  This would be in the high 80s for your fish.  The mouthful rule works at any temperature.

Unless the air temperature reaches the 90s, there is no reason to keep the temperature down.  Turning off aquarium lights and removing aquarium covers will help if your house gets really hot.

No.  However there can be a problem with water changes that are too large.  This only occurs when your tap water is toxic, substantially different from your tank water in pH, or of variable quality.

Yes.  there is virtually always a quiet area somewhere in the tank.

I've had a goldfish go from ~50% each red and white to pure white in a week.  Acquiring black is rather ususual, so you might want to start a thread on  that.

A mouthful.  A goldfish will grab pellets until no more fit in its mouth, then settle down to chew.  As soon as that mouthful is swallowed, it will be looking for more.  It doesn't need a second mouthful of pellets.  I wouldn't feed frozen brineshrimp or bloodworms on a daily basis.  Vegetables are a better choice for a second meal.  Duckweed is always good.

74F is a midrange temperature for goldfish.  The optimum temperature for a goldfish is the one to which it is acclimated. At higher temperatures, the fish will eat more  and be more active until it gets to a water temperature higher than is comfortable.  This would be in the high 80s for your fish.  The mouthful rule works at any temperature.

Unless the air temperature reaches the 90s, there is no reason to keep the temperature down.  Turning off aquarium lights and removing aquarium covers will help if your house gets really hot.

Thanks so much! I'll start a thread about the colour then. I'll try out the mouthful rule, and use up more duckweed. XD I'm glad that the temperature is good. I was most concerned with that, since it seemed like the most difficult factor to change.