Thinking out loud - suggestions welcome :)

Reds12

I currently have 5 young goldfish in a 55 gallon, the last 2 acquired unexpectedly and I just put them all together since they were small, knowing full well the situation would need to be changed as they got bigger.

I was thinking about how to swap everyone around...I have a 40B with neons and a betta, and an empty 36 gallon tall.  Do I put two of the smaller goldies into the 36 gal?  Or move the tetras & betta into the 36 gal and put 2 goldies into the 40B?  I'd rather not move the tetras since that tank was specifically purchased for them and is planted specifically for them - the betta was a walmart rescue we hadn't planned on, but they gave him to my husband for free when he gave them a piece of his mind about the brown water he was living in and the bits of his fins that had fallen off and were floating around at the bottom of his little cup.

I also have about 150 gallons outside that has fry in it at the moment (they will be rehomed) and a 600+ gallon pond, but I've read on numerous different websites that its not a great idea to put single tailed goldies with fancies.  I think I recall that it has to do with fancies not getting enough to eat since the single tailed fish swim so much faster than them, but I don't see that being an issue here, my fancies are pretty darn quick and the fish outside are very polite and take turns eating...its rather adorable, as adorable goes ;)

Now that the 5 of them have been together and are so social with each other I feel a little guilt about thinking about splitting them up...is that just me being anthropomorphic? I worry that they prefer being together.

Thoughts?

I have always heard not to mix fancies and single tails too, but I suppose like so many things it would depend on the individual fish.  Maybe if you hand fed the fancies to ensure that they got their fair share it would help?

I have always heard not to mix fancies and single tails too, but I suppose like so many things it would depend on the individual fish.  Maybe if you hand fed the fancies to ensure that they got their fair share it would help?

Yes, the fancies can't fairly compete with the single tails for food. You'll need to give special attention to your slower feeders. But I don't know of any other issues with mixing fancies and single tails, other than water temperature in a pond. The single tails are more robust through periods of colder waters.

Yes, the fancies can't fairly compete with the single tails for food. You'll need to give special attention to your slower feeders. But I don't know of any other issues with mixing fancies and single tails, other than water temperature in a pond. The single tails are more robust through periods of colder waters.

This is something that I very much disagree with. In general, fancies can swim just as fast and get food just as well as STs. Any of the 'slower feeders' would be a fish-by-fish basis issue. This is both from personal experience and from hearing stories of Sharon's ponds. :) 

I would move the tropicals to the smaller tank and put two goldies in the 40B. This is to give the goldfish as much room as possible, which is important for them. (40B = 45-47 gallons vs. 36) Tall tanks are not very good for goldfish, either, so moving fish that can better handle that environment to that environment would be more beneficial for both 'schools.'

• Helper

I agree that unless you have a severe disabled fancy, like a bubble eye (cute, but a total goner without carefully owner care) you should be okay mixing the two in a larger tank. Just make sure everyone is eating enough and sell the smaller tanks to fun a bigger one.

For what it's worth, I don't usually keep my bettas in more than 5 heavily planted gallons unless they're in a community and doing well. If he gets along with the tetras just keep them in the 40g and call it good!

In a well-established 600 gallon pond there is enough natural food that you can feed once or twice a week and your fish with do fine. I have small fancies in with 9 inch (sl) long-bodied fish.  They are all healthy.  If the fancies were shortchanged a bit in food, it would probably be to their advantage, since obesity is a known cause of swim bladder disorder.  None of my pond-raised fancies has shown any sign of swim bladder problems (knock on wood), and there have been at least 40 adults.

There is one problem with mixing fancies and long-bodied fish (regardless of whether either have single or double tails).  Spawning males like their girls fat.  If you have an excess of long-bodied males, they can worry the spawning fancy females to exhaustion.  So I limit the number of long-bodied males in a mixed pond.  

Space is another factor.  The bigger the pond, the more choices the fish have in the environment they like and the fish they want to associate with even at the same stocking level.  This results in a more relaxed and congenial pond environment, as you have already observed. 

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'd really like to keep them inside for selfish reasons, but might move the two larger ones out to the pond.  They have been in QT with two of the pond fish and got along famously so I'm not too worried about them, plus they're pretty fast swimmers so I know they won't have issues with food.   I don't really like the 36 tall, so I think I'll just trade/sell that one and call it a day :)

I agree that unless you have a severe disabled fancy, like a bubble eye (cute, but a total goner without carefully owner care) you should be okay mixing the two in a larger tank. Just make sure everyone is eating enough and sell the smaller tanks to fun a bigger one.

For what it's worth, I don't usually keep my bettas in more than 5 heavily planted gallons unless they're in a community and doing well. If he gets along with the tetras just keep them in the 40g and call it good!

From what I've been hearing, most people keep them in 5 gallons or less...he seemed so depressed in 5 gallons though, just kind of aimlessly floating around so I moved him.  The 40B was already established, planted, and set up for tropicals so that's where he went :)  He's so darn social and outgoing since I moved him that I think you're right to just leave them be..they're happy where they're at.

I've never actually seen a betta in a larger tank, so I don't know if its having more space, or just his particular personality, but he's seriously so active, and comes to the glass all wiggly and excited when I go to see him.  I'd be curious to see or hear how other bettas act.  The ones in the store in their 1/2 cup of water obviously aren't a great example of character.

• Helper

My old betta, Phil, was in a 30 gallon community and loved it, the current one is in a smaller tank because he was being nipped by an angelfish I recently re homed. I may put my own betta back in the community and use his tank for a crawfish or other cool invert.