Shopping:What's good meds to have on hand

lizam

I am not sure I put this in the right place.  My apologies if I didn't.   I am wondering what basic meds are good to have on hand? 

My little babies are in quarantine right now going through the prazi treatment but I don't have access to much.  The reason I am asking is because I live in a small town in Canada.  My LFS pretty much only had General Cure API that was outdated from 2010 :no: So I guess I am wondering if there a couple things that are good to have on hand when I either go to the city or do some shopping online.

Thanks for  the help :)

Good for planning ahead!

Plain old salt (salt with no additives) you probably already have that since you are doing a QT

Seachem metroplex or equivalent

Seachem Kanaplex or equivalent

Tri sulpha

• Helper

If you have a weak local selection like I do, stock up.

Having fought back several illnesses I now see this as a great medicine cabinet and well worth keeping:

Salt (pickling salt, free of ANY additives

Epsom salt

Potassium Permanganate Crystals

Metronidazole

Erythromycin

Kanaplex

Furan-2

Methylene Blue

Malachite Green or Paraguard

Acriflavin or broad spectrum fungal treatment

Praziquantel/Prazipro

Dimilin or Anchor's Away

Buffering agent (baking soda is common)

Water conditioner (Prime, Amquel, etc)

That is really my bare minimum. I probably have double that now, because of all the issues I've run into. I'd so much rather spend $50 on some medications that expire, unused, than spend another day with a seriously sick fish, a diagnosis, and a five day wait on the mail to deliver the needed treatment :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

I would say for some of those, good to look for them now as they are harder to find (especially in Canada), that way you won't be worrying about where to find them in case an emergency comes up later. 

What I would look for first:

Praziquantel / Prazipro

Metronidazole (or metroplex)

Kanaplex

Dimilin (also sold as De-Los on National Fish Pharmacy)

Quick Cure

I didn't list the salt because it's easy to find. :)

Edited by goldfishgirl82

That is really my bare minimum. I probably have double that now, because of all the issues I've run into. I'd so much rather spend $50 on some medications that expire, unused, than spend another day with a seriously sick fish, a diagnosis, and a five day wait on the mail to deliver the needed treatment :(

That's what I was thinking.  To get to where I am things can take over a week or two. 

Edited by lizam