Second hand Juwel Rio 180

Hello!

I bought a Juwel Rio 180 second hand some weeks ago. It was the home of a comet for a couple of days only and was used as a community tank by its former owner. It looks like this now:

17585770500_124f21ee24_z_d.jpg

I shall remove the background ????. I rinsed it with water. No vinegar, no bleach, no potassium permanganate - yet. I must admit I have worries using any of them. Do I really have to use those? ????

The meassurement is: 101x41x50 cm (39.8x16.1x19.7 in)

Filter

The tank came with an internal filter, which according to the manufacturer's website turned water 600L/h (158.5 US gal/132.0 UK gal per hour) only. With the filter inside, the tank only filled about 180L/47.6 US gal/39.6 UK gal. water. Hence I detached it with help of my dad by using a nylon thread. It should hold 200L/55 US gal/44 UK gal now. ????

I've been eyeing this canister filter, Tetra Tec Ex 1200 for a while. I would get two of them.

Here are the specs:

- Turn over 1200L/h (317 US gal/264 Uk gal per hour), 21 Watts

- Capacity: 12L (3.2 US gal/2.64 UK gal)

- Cartridges: 4

Here it is in action

Does anyone of you guys have experience with this filter? Alternatives would be JBL or Eheim (but they are madly expensive though).

Sand/Plants

30kg (66.1 lb) of JBL Sansibar sand and plants good for an 80L (21.1 US gal/17.6 UK gal) tank are on the way and I expect them to arrive this coming Wednesday. After researching, 30 kg seems too much though. I read that I would need at least 5 cm (2 in) soil in the tank for plants to root properly ????. Then I read other contradicting opinions. Help, please?

Stocking

After a fishless cycle, taking one step at a time and depending on my learning curve, I'd love to house 3 fancy GF in this tank. I know I would push it (20 gal per GF), but I'm willing to commit myself to make water changes often. Is it do-able or should I stick with 2 GF?

Fish

And finally... why are the best fish either in America or in Asia? ???? I found one in Germany, who would ship to Austria (http://www.fischfarm-schubert.de/). Has any of you EU residents ordered from them yet? I haven't found THE LFS for me yet. There are still some shops here in the city I have to check out ????

Oh man... sorry for this long post, but thanks for any help, advice, recommendations and tipps!

:hi

That's a nice looking tank! Congrats! Do you know how long it has been empty? There are varying opinions on if/how tanks should be cleaned, and for you it may come to a matter of preference.

Since you will be cycling the tank with no fish, you may feel more comfortable not disinfecting it since there will be no host for any present "nasties" to thrive. This can take up to two months, depending. Others with more experience and facts will chime in, though. :)

As far as stocking, you may want to do just two fish now. Three is doable, but it may be wise to get your feet wet :rolleyes: before going all in. Do you have a really busy, outside of the home, lifestyle? Do you go on trips/vacations often, not allowing for water changes on a strict schedule? Most of us go 7 days max between water changes, but if you are not fully stocked it can be pushed a little longer if you cannot get to it. (uhh.. Just to be clear, I'm not saying less water changes is okay, but rather that if things happen and you change the water a little late, problems are less likely when you have less fish).

I feel like I am not articulating anything well, so I'm going to leave it at that! :rofl

Good luck! :D

Hey there! (Can I already use emoticons as a Fry? If yes... How? )

Thank you! Unfortunately I have no idea how long it has been empty. Cycling for two months... wow...

I will definitely start with one fish only and see how I do and how the fish does with me . And with time I will add a mate... or should I get two at once?

No, you're just being realistic about water changes. Thanks for the questions! They help a lot!

You can use them! When you're typing in the browser, you should see a little smiley face on the top of the reply box. Click on that, and use whichever you like!

I may not take as long, two months is unusually long but it has happened. Hopefully not much more than a month.

Two fish would be perfectly good to start with. I actually only got one fish when my 55 gallon tank was finally cycled. It was a great big home for him, but would have been better (for me, anyway) had I seen a second fish that I really did want! You can do their prazi treatments in the tank, or in a smaller QT tank or tub. Let me know if you are unfamiliar with the treatments recommended here, and I can give you some links to go over. Of course there's time for that though. :D

Those are very nice tanks and yours looks great.  You were right to detach the internal filter, a canister will do a much better job.  Tetratecs are good filters.  They are probably the most popular canister in Norway.  

I would wipe it down with a mild bleach solution, rinse and let dry.  This is your chance to get a clean tank. If you use Prime, it will neutralise any bleach residue.

Fish are a difficult matter.  There is Dino in the Netherlands.  https://www.facebook.com/fancygoldfishstore.yan?fref=ts with just stunning fish, but I have no idea if he would ship to Austria.  

@jenzaar

Thank you! Maybe I can't see them because I'm on an iPad. Will try it once on my laptop. - Well, I'll just let it cycle however long it may take. :) - I will start off with only one fish too. I have a 54L (14 US gal), which I will set up as a QT tank. I'm sure I shall get back at you for treatment matters :D

@Heidi030

Thank you! :D

@motherredcap

Awesome! I will pick up one Tetra Tec ex 1200 on Tuesday . May I ask you to define a "mild bleach solution"? (1:9?) I'm glad I don't have to fill up the tank with a bleach solution. About Prime... I can't seem to find that here in any LFS. The most common trademarks here are JBL (Biotopol?) or Tetra. Might as well order Prime on Amazon. Will check out that link! :) Thanks for your input!

1:9 is perfect.  Just wipe the insides, particularly the corners, rinse, fill and empty.  I can't find Prime in Norway either.  I order from whoever has the cheapest shipping on ebay.

Alright then... Can I fill and empty with my python? Do I have to clean it in a specific way after wards or is it safer if I fill and empty with a regular siphon and bucket?  :huh:

ebay... Totally forgot about it since Amazon. Thanks for that! :)

Bleach is really not so scary :)  I think the diluted bleach is naturally neutralised after a day or two anyway.  Just use the siphon and bucket.  

I pretty much always have to use ebay.  Norway is Europe but not EU; no one ships here. 

The Jewel tanks are really lovely, great find! :D

Bleach is really not so scary :)

This. I bleach a co2 diffuser at least once a week and I'm never worried about using it. I just give it a thorough rinse and prime afterwards.

@motherredcap

Will do as you suggest then. Yay for ebay!

@dan in aus

Yes, thank you! I was lucky! The former owner also gave away a lot of other accessories for € 100.- altogether.

Thanks for convincing me to bleach. Will just have to be careful.

That is a rule of thumb that many people use.  Your tank would be much better filtered with two.  Personally, I probably would not feel like buying two canister filters for the extra capacity in that size tank, but you have gotten a bargain on the tank and can splash out on filtration.  I change nearly 90% of the water weekly and parameters stay in check.

I ended up getting two, second hand, whereas one is like almost new with the filter media and hoses still packed. I'll cycle the tank with that one while cleaning the other one. I bleached the tank, rinsed, waited for the tank to dry and put in the sand after rinsing out as well. I'll attend to the plants and their disinfection today as well as to setting up the filter and checking up my water parameters. Hopefully I'll be able to start cycling tonight.

Thank you for putting up with me. I really appreciate your help. <3

Sounds excellent.  You might want to start a separate cycling thread under water quality.  Sometimes people need a little help adjusting ammonia levels and doing water changes during the cycling process.  The water quality experts won't necessarily check here to offer advice :)

Oh...

I thought 180x10 for the turn over?

Usually yes, but since canister filters hold quite a lot more media, you can get away with less turn over. Provided there's not too much current in the tank, you can always exceed the normal 10x suggestion. :)