Reducing Noise from HOB filters?

With the weather heating up here lately the water in my 55G is evaporating a lot quicker, and the noise from the water coming out of the HOB drives me CRAZY!  

I had planned to just top off the water halfway between water changes, but by the time I get to it I'm only a day or two from a water change so I don't bother.

Between that and the air pump its like ringing in my ears whenever I'm sitting close by...Any ideas to reduce the noise from the water entering the tank?

I've seen ideas with sponges which would work but wanted to see if there were any other ideas floating around that might work better.

I have the marineland penguin 350 filters.

Also, I think I'll add tank covers to help with noise pollution, but there seem to be slightly different dimension covers out there.  Anyone found covers for tetra 55G tank?

Add aquarium filter-floss on the filter. It will reduce the noise very effective and give you a bit of peace. Just remember to rinse it off or change it every so often, as it does get a bit yucky.  

It will carry to water closer to the surface and therefore not make as much sound when it breaks the surface.

A great way to reduce noise from the air pump is the hang it in a string, so that it doesn't touch any surface to vibrate off. This makes mine SILENT from the air pump, of course you can still hear the bubbles breaking the surface, but nothing from the pump it self.

Hi Reds12,

I noticed a big difference in the noise my HOB filter made based on how far down the tank water line was from the filter outtake - so my advice would be to follow your first inclination.

Perhaps you could have "aged" water sitting near the tank so it wouldn't be a big chore, you'd just pour more in when you were noticing the noise?  Granted my tank was in a guest room, but that was what I did when we had guests. Just shorten the waterfall. 

I had a very fine sand bottom, so another thing I would do would be to clean the impeller, to insure something wasn't rattling.

It will be interesting to hear suggestions from others.

It's tricky with a HOB, but the way I eliminate all water noise in my ponds is to have the biofilter empty into a "veggie filter" containing plants in a support medium (lava rock, gravel, or (best) hydroponics growth medium such as hydrocorn).  This has the added advantage of supplying additional bio-filtration, including both nitrification and phyto-filtration to reduce nitrates (and lot of other things).  

I make the outspout of my pond filters come down to the surface of the growth medium.  With a HOB filter you may be able to use something like this right under the outflow.  

I'd just add water. :idont

I have two big gallon-sized salad bowls that I use for my fish stuff. A few of those when the sound is bothering me is enough to quiet the noise going into my 125. In a 55 I would guess you would only need one or two. :)

Although i do love Sharon's idea too! :D

Add aquarium filter-floss on the filter. It will reduce the noise very effective and give you a bit of peace. Just remember to rinse it off or change it every so often, as it does get a bit yucky.  

It will carry to water closer to the surface and therefore not make as much sound when it breaks the surface.

A great way to reduce noise from the air pump is the hang it in a string, so that it doesn't touch any surface to vibrate off. This makes mine SILENT from the air pump, of course you can still hear the bubbles breaking the surface, but nothing from the pump it self.

I have done this before to reduce the turbulence for weaker fish and it totally works, but you're right, it does get yucky!  I could definitely do this until I figure out something more suitable for a permanent solution.  Thank you :)

It's tricky with a HOB, but the way I eliminate all water noise in my ponds is to have the biofilter empty into a "veggie filter" containing plants in a support medium (lava rock, gravel, or (best) hydroponics growth medium such as hydrocorn).  This has the added advantage of supplying additional bio-filtration, including both nitrification and phyto-filtration to reduce nitrates (and lot of other things).  

I make the outspout of my pond filters come down to the surface of the growth medium.  With a HOB filter you may be able to use something like this right under the outflow.  

The basket is perfect!  I've been trying to figure out how to fix something under the filter and the best I could find was this but it wasn't quite right.  I'll pick up one of these today and see how it does.  It'll definitely help keep my floating plants from flying all over the place under the filter water too.  Thank you.  Shakaho, you are a wealth of knowledge and full of suggestions, you have no idea how helpful it is for non-creative people like me :)

Hi Reds12,

I noticed a big difference in the noise my HOB filter made based on how far down the tank water line was from the filter outtake - so my advice would be to follow your first inclination.

Perhaps you could have "aged" water sitting near the tank so it wouldn't be a big chore, you'd just pour more in when you were noticing the noise?  Granted my tank was in a guest room, but that was what I did when we had guests. Just shorten the waterfall. 

I had a very fine sand bottom, so another thing I would do would be to clean the impeller, to insure something wasn't rattling.

It will be interesting to hear suggestions from others.

I'd just add water. :idont

I have two big gallon-sized salad bowls that I use for my fish stuff. A few of those when the sound is bothering me is enough to quiet the noise going into my 125. In a 55 I would guess you would only need one or two. :)

Although i do love Sharon's idea too! :D

Adding water is definitely the easiest solution and probably the most logical...I just know time gets away from me and it doesn't always work out.  I'm going to try having an aged bucket available and combine all of the suggestions above to an extent.  Thank you!

They sell the Tetra specific glass tops at several of the Petco's in our area. They have had them in Poway and Carmel Mountain -- I bought some at these stores before. You may be able to look online and see if a closer store to you has them. :)

How long are you going between changes? I can go 2 weeks easy before it starts to get noisy. What I would do is pour in water

I change the water once a week...maybe a couple days longer if I get busy and lose track of time but I'm usually pretty on top of water changes.  My tank is in sunlight and has an open top which doesn't help, and we have had a lot of desert winds lately which dry the air out a lot so that's not helping either.

They sell the Tetra specific glass tops at several of the Petco's in our area. They have had them in Poway and Carmel Mountain -- I bought some at these stores before. You may be able to look online and see if a closer store to you has them. :)

Thanks!  The one by me didn't have them and the employee had no idea where to get them, so I wasn't sure they carried them at all.

Hi Reds,  I'm in S.D. county also and have seen the tetra glass lids in the past (probably over 18 months ago) at either Petco or Petsmart.  (can't remember which store though.)  I don't go look for them or really notice anymore but I'm sure they do carry them still.

I do a huge w/c every 5 days and I tap off the top with water about every 3 days so I don't hear any water flow coming out of the filter.  I don't like to hear it either.  

Edited by 4prettyfish

I've actually makeshifted a little bog box for it.  I had one of these hanging around that I bought for my 40B tank and didn't end up using.  Cut a slot for the filter intake pipe, and notched out the back a bit and it slides right under the filter and almost clips over the tank lip.  Its the exact width of the filter so it fits just perfectly.

I haven't filled it yet since I need to pick up a couple plants first, but if it works out I'll post a picture.

I have my IKEA colander on my 40B, but I have a pond-type filter.  I have the filter ouflow pipe going into a "holey pipe" that  goes across the colander and trickles through "growstones."   I don't have any houseplants right now to put in it, and I don't have a growlight so all I have in the colander is a couple of puny chard plants.  With a good light, I could grow aquaponic herbs or lettuce there.

I do have a lot of pothos in the top of the filter.

We face this problem in early summers when the humidity is low and the temps high. If adding water seems tiresome for an everyday job, I guess your best bet is an acrylic cover for the tank. The water would evaporate much less, and the sound would be dampened. If you can't get an acrylic cover custom-made, you can buy a 1 inch thick polystyrene foam sheet. Grab an exacto knife and cut it out according to the shape and size of the top part of your tank.

Edited by bagho