Sign in to follow this  
Niki

New Betta Set up

Thank you! He is pretty awesome looking in his tank!

And doing wc on a 5g is sooooo easy!

He's gorgeous! :)

Thank you, I'm going to get some ferts for the plants today and I might pick up one bunch of carpeting plant to try.

For ferts should I get excel and flourish? Or just excel?

I also plant to get dry ferts for my swords.

everything is going swimmingly!

1FF26890-8053-49A0-B858-26E9CD2E5F70_zps

I am sad to report that Dilophy has passed. about a week ago I noticed pin holes in his tail and started treating him with melafix, once the melafix was over with (1 week treatment) he took a turn for the worse and passed after two days.....his fins started to curl around themselves, he had red bumps on the end of his tail, I have no clue what got him.....I know it sounds like bad water quality but I was changing half of his water every two days.....

Awe, sorry to hear, he was a very nice looking Betta... with the pin holes and curled tail, it was likely water quality issues more than anything. Sounds like the cycle wasn't done or had crashed, if you have chloramines in your tap water that might explain it. Basically if untreated with a water conditioner, it could have sterilized some or most of the bacteria colony, crashing the cycle leaving you with the other half of the equation, elevated ammonia which if you are on city service and tested your tap water I'm sure you'd have (mine tests about .25ppm ammonia straight from the tap here), ammonia causes symptoms you mentioned though. That exact scenario actually happened to my betta a year back too.

That make me sad, I never did test his water as I was constantly changing his water, but I guess I should have been.

I am on city services and I'm going to test it tomorrow, last time I checked it was 0 out of the tap.