Sign in to follow this  
Niki

New Betta Set up

I am in the process of setting up a 5g planted Betta tank in my bedroom!

I have the tank, sand, Heater, Light, and Filter, I am going to cycle it using some old filter material from one of my other filters.

I am not putting a betta in it for at least another 2-3 weeks and I want it planted first, but I still have to look for the hard scape items first....its kind of hard to work on a small scale.

I think I want a white betta, and I am going to name him Dilophy, after the Dilophosaurus (look him up)

If you use some filter media from an established tank already you won't need to cycle the tank.  Keep an eye on the param for several days though.

Congrats on starting up a new tank and betta.  Will be looking forward to seeing it all set up.

White Bettas rock!   Here's mine:

4a36a91e-ce04-4527-b121-3de8314e2e3a.jpg

Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Edited by Hidr

I can't wait to see what you come up with! I love nano tanks, and small betta tanks never disappoint. :D

I am not putting a betta in it for at least another 2-3 weeks and I want it planted first, but I still have to look for the hard scape items first....its kind of hard to work on a small scale.

I think it's actually easier; less materials needed, less costly, etc. If you've not tried already, look in landscaping supply stores for bigger rocks. There's a method to my madness. You can always get bigger pieces for much cheaper than at an LFS and you can smash them up with a hammer to make smaller ones. :)

Thanks guys, oh Jared he is lovely! I'm jealous!!!i have gone to several (hundred hahha not really) pet stores to find my betta.....seen one potential but not sure I'll be happy with him.....the search continues!

Today I went to my local river and picked up free rocks, came home scrubbed them and soaked them in boiling water and placed them in the tank.

Now I just need to find a nice piece of drift wood, which is also proving difficult! Pics to come soon on my progression, though the picture doesn't do the tank justice....

Aquabid - the place to find bettas. I have a hard time resisting buying several male halfmoons when I look there.

Thanks guys, oh Jared he is lovely! I'm jealous!!!i have gone to several (hundred hahha not really) pet stores to find my betta.....seen one potential but not sure I'll be happy with him.....the search continues!

Today I went to my local river and picked up free rocks, came home scrubbed them and soaked them in boiling water and placed them in the tank.

Now I just need to find a nice piece of drift wood, which is also proving difficult! Pics to come soon on my progression, though the picture doesn't do the tank justice....

I got mine a at Petco.

He is a beauty, and would look excellent in my tank....I might have to fish nap him!

I've seen some nice, unusual bettas on ebay also. If you can't find a white one you like at the store you may find one there. 

I am in Canada and don't think I can order from Aquabid or Ebay.....I did look at shipping one from ON but it would have cost me close to $80 for a betta.......I am just going to keep looking at local stores......

in the meantime here are some pics of my tank so far......

5G, painted background, black sand, strip LED lighting, 15G filter, I think it is considered internal as it is inside the tank, heater (not yet installed)....the two plants in it now I am unsure of what they are called......

c768bf18-1ab1-4e8f-bef6-29e09e83be0a_zps

rocks added from my local river;

6D3F757F-F7AB-4C3F-ACD3-928244A15A53_zps

my cats new water fountain;

4154AFF6-77F3-4761-AC7B-965E52A26E0D_zps

then I went and found my piece of driftwood, added a misc. crypt, a misc. sword, and some corkscrew vals;

409A5826-7149-44CF-9223-BC6E16751464_zps

I noticed my tank is looking a little cloudy, not sure why, but I know it is most likely due to it being a new set up, maybe I should do a water change?

(I have not added any media from my other cycled tank yet as I do not want to feed the cycle until I get my betta) though I came close to buying one today, he was light baby blue (body) and soft yellow fins, with dark blue rim around each fin.....he was pretty but just not white like I am looking for......its really hard not to buy all these nice bettas while looking for the one......

Edited by Niki

Hey fellow Albertan!!!! I am not from Edmonton, just staying here for a practicum right now, but I have seen some really gorgeous bettas at petland on Manning. I am staying near there so I go check it out all the time

Hi, I would def drive that far for the right betta! Please do let me know!!! I'm looking for a white betta with a sheen to it, I'll post a pic of what I'm looking for in a bit

That cloudiness will clear on its own as it cycles, don't worry about it:)

That's what I thought, though now that I think about it, I didn't rinse the sand as I knew there was no fish in it right away and was too excited to set it up.

Oops, sorry. I didn't notice when I posted that you were in Canada.  :teehee  I don't know if there are any Canadian sellers that do bettas on either of those sites. Yeah that would be quite pricey.  :yikes

Your tank looks like it's coming along nicely. I like the driftwood. Kitty better be careful or s/he will end up getting a surprise bath.  :rofl

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Yea it wouldn't be the first time kitty went for a swim hahha

So after visiting every single pet smart in edmonton I finally found my Dilophy, and of course he was at the very last pet smart....and he was cheap! $8.40!!! I'll post pics soon. He's currently acclimatizing....he looks like a little princess

after looking at Dilophy, I think he is called a pastel'

B774B5D2-7D1C-4FE2-BE81-FEAC18862FE1_zps

95C8A676-C1A5-47D9-80E1-7EFF050D5CFF_zps

He's a cellophane pastel, and a gorgeous one!

What does the cellphone reference? Body color?

And thank you :-)

The transparent appearance of his fins. :)

The transparent appearance of his fins. :)

Thank you, that actually makes sense hahaha

I'm going to try and get some pics of him with out the flash on as he looks like a swimming rainbow....

Congratulations on your new betta.  What a beauty he is! :wub:   I love his colors.  I would have bought him also if I was looking for a betta.  He's going to look gorgeous in his new home and pop against the greenery from the plants and the black substrate.  Your tank looks awesome also.  Love the driftwood.