Should I Treat Established Fish w/Prazi?

I'm seeing all these treatments & QT things people are doing with fish, & I'm wondering if I should do something with my current fish - they've never been treated for anything & look perfectly healthy, so I hesitate to stress them out by doing something unnecessary to them, but don't want to be overlooking something needful to their health, either. They're currently in an unfiltered 100 gal. stock tank tub in the backyard, & I plan to move them inside to a 75 gal. tank when it gets done cycling. 

FishPool3762_zpswk9y88b5.jpg

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0 (I think the algae eats it - the water's green)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master (drops)
      • * Water temperature? pretty warm on top, cool on bottom - temp. around here in 80s (F) most days this time of year
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 100 gal. tub, 18 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? none
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50%/weekly
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days, 50 gal.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 fish, 3-4 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aqueon Water Conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
    Wardley Goldfish pellets, 1x/day, plus they eat bugs & stuff
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
    1 fish was treated for Ich when in a 10 gallon, Sept. of 2013
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No - they're all real lively

I do a routine Prazi treatment even on healthy fish twice a year, as a preventive and/or to nip issues in the bud.

But you know what? 18 months with perfect health and no problems? I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You're clearly doing things right!!!

Since you are moving your fish from a very healthful environment (even though they are hard to see) to a less healthful environment.  I think you might want to do a round or two of prazi after moving them.  Losing that lovely (from the fishy point of view) green water and all that natural food will cause stress as will the fear of those transparent walls.  Stress can result in a population explosion of flukes that the fish have been carrying all along but to which they have become "immune".

Expect the fish to be very frightened in the aquarium for at least a week.  When I bring fish in from the pond they sometimes scare me with their reaction -- acting like they have been poisoned or something.  Draping towels over the back and sides of the aquarium so that they see solid sides will help.  Make sure they can't jump out of the tank.

While Wardley pellets are adequate for pond fish who have lots of natural food to nibble on, you will want to upgrade to foods that are based in algae and aquatic animal products with a minimum of flours and other products of terrestrial plants.

That's pretty neat that you have a 100g pond outside in our beautiful S.D. weather.  (even though we are finally getting some much needed rain)  

But then again, having a tank inside is so nice to see the fish better and probably more. :)  I hope you post photo's once your fish are settled in their tank.

Just curious .. .  why are you moving them inside?  :idont

Here's her intro where she mentions the whole story  :) : http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121422-hello-in-san-diego/

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Thanks for the advice, & the suggestions about the towels! The long back of the glass tank & one end (nearest a window) are covered with backing paper, & the tank has a glass lid, but I think I will drape part of the front at first. I've already bought some other food (ordered some Hikari, got some Omega One pellets & seaweed), but Wardley's what they've been eating 'til now.

Yes, re my intro, our first fish was a "free surprise present" & the water tub outside was a sort of panic move to deal with her after she was outgrowing the 10 gallon we got for her (not that she's huge, but I could see where she was headed...). We've since been able to open up more room in the house for another aquarium. I was actually surprised the water quality outside was OK, I thought that with no filtration, it'd be icky. What if next winter is colder & we get frost, & the algae dies off? That tub's pretty impossible to clean too, I do siphon it sometimes to vacuum debris out, but I can't see what I'm doing (green water) & the big rocks at the bottom get in the way (they're also what saved the fish from a Great Blue Heron) - I accidentally dumped a fish in the garden once, since I couldn't see her in the bucket I was bailing with (fish was fine).  Also, my husband doesn't like the look of the tub in the yard, he thinks it's rather an eyesore. It worries me that we don't see much of the fish - the kids & I feed them after taking care of the chickens in the morning, & do water changes on weekends, but otherwise, they're pretty much "out of sight, out of mind" & if in the house, they'd be in the room that everyone spends most of the time in. 

Me personally, I like to look at my fish all the time. I would not be able to have mine out in the yard.  :teehee  You'll enjoy getting to interact with them once they're in the house... after they adjust to the new tank. I don't think it'll take too long.

Edited by goldfishgirl82

• Helper

I'd love to do a pond sometime, but I'm almost positive I'd make one above ground in an atrium, with acrylic viewing windows on each side. Not seeing the animals clearly would be the biggest downside for me, too!