Goldfish Water Conditioner and Salt during Quarantine

Hi again,

So much learning, so many questions!

Currently, everytime we do a water change we are adding the recommended dose of a water conditioner, "Aquasonic's Goldfish Water Conditioner" - To raise the water's hardness.

Here is a link to the product : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquasonics-Goldfish-Water-Conditioner-500g-/251717970462?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Is this a necessity? Or is it a marketing scam we have fallen for when we started off?

I'm asking this as only now have I been reading about quarantining new fish. During the quarantine process Salt is added.

Is this not in some way similar to the water conditioner?

As I am only learning now about the importance of quarantining new fish. Should I assume that my 4 month old Hype, probably has parasites/flukes? And should go through this Salt/Prazi treatment!?

Thanks in advance, sorry for so many amateur questions

PS. We also add 1/8th of a teaspoon of bicarb, as this seems to help maintain our PH at a steady 7.8. I hope this plus the water conditioner wont cause any problems?

PPS. (Couldnt seem to find the edit button to modify my previous post -.-)

Hi again,

So much learning, so many questions!

Currently, everytime we do a water change we are adding the recommended dose of a water conditioner, "Aquasonic's Goldfish Water Conditioner" - To raise the water's hardness.

Here is a link to the product : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquasonics-Goldfish-Water-Conditioner-500g-/251717970462?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Is this a necessity? Or is it a marketing scam we have fallen for when we started off?

Sounds like a marketing scam, particularly when it doesn't even claim to do what we normally use "water conditioner" for -- to inactivate chlorine.

I'm asking this as only now have I been reading about quarantining new fish. During the quarantine process Salt is added.

Is this not in some way similar to the water conditioner?

During quarantine, we use NaCl at specific concentrations.  This product contains 9 unidentified salts at unknown concentrations.  One of these raises the slainity, so that is NaCl, another increases hardness, so that is probably baking soda.  Both of these are cheap and readily available.

As I am only learning now about the importance of quarantining new fish. Should I assume that my 4 month old Hype, probably has parasites/flukes? And should go through this Salt/Prazi treatment!?

Absolutely yes to both questions.  Please read this.

Thanks in advance, sorry for so many amateur questions

We love questions.  

Thanks for your reply :)

So currently every water change I use Fraction (supposedly a part of Prime), to de-chlorinate  water. Bi-carb as a buffer. And this salt conditioning product mentioned.

I am sending the manufacturer an email to try and find out what actual ingredients they use and in what concentrations, for my own knowledge.

If NaCl is used at 0.3% during quarantine... Would adding this salt conditioning product stated above all the time, have detrimental effects in the long term due to constant Salt being in the water?

Should I possibly instead, just add bi-carb to act as a ph buffer... and IF/WHEN needed, use salt for remedial purposes? As far as I can see/read so far, that appears to be the only time's goldfish really need salt to be used?

Well I will have to source some aquarium salt and prazipro and treat my existing fishie in his current/soon to be old tank, before Hype gets placed into his new mansion, not sure if my LFS has this or not... 

What really gets me is the amount of misinformation stores provide you just to make sales. Sure in this world everyone wants to make money, but you would think an aquarium store would give you a bit better run down on QT requirements before they give you a fish.... Then again, they do sell goldfish bowls after all  :thumbdown

Edited by hughesyau

Salt is a valuable mild medication.  If you use salt routinely, it won't work when you need it.  Suppose you could make a headache go away with an aspirin.  Then suppose you start taking an aspirin a day because your doctor said it will reduce your risk of  heart attack.  (OK, you have to pretend you are twice your current age.  :D )  Then you get a headache.  You've already taken an aspirin.  Should you take another? Two more?  A different headache remedy?

The difference between this situation and keeping a goldfish in a low level of salt is that a low level of salt doesn't prevent any disease in goldfish.  Goldfish are freshwater fish.  There is no reason to use salt  on a healthy goldfish except as a part of a quarantine procedure, and to help make producers of .  You can use any salt that is pure NaCl.  It doesn't have to be "aquarium salt."  You'll need some help from other Aussies about how to get prazi.