New to Goldfish

GrumpyFish

I've tried keeping tropical fish before as a child, but found it sort of boring. However, ever since I started working at the pet store, I've come to learn a lot about goldfish, and feel that they're a lot more interesting. After a lot of saving up, I finally got everything I needed to get a goldfish! I've had her for about a week now. Her name is Clementine. I got her to suck at my fingers the first day I brought her home, but can't seem to fool her twice. Anyone have any tips on getting goldfish to nibble on fingers or eat from your hands?

And this is the fish. Supposed to be a ryukin, but has minimal amount of hump. I think I read somewhere that it's difficult to breed calico ryukin with a proper hump? She has black on the edge of her fins, which can be difficult to capture in photos. I picked her since she was the most active fish in the tank. She chases her reflection a lot. Do goldfish like mirrors?

20150506_115439_zpsyxriwvs9.jpg

Being grumpy floating in bag.

20150506_183548_zpsjrsyvq6d.jpg

Foraging.

20150510_080632_zpslye1aesv.jpg

Side profile.

20150511_110911_zpshkxzvxy6.jpg

A medium-ish size. Still has a lot of growing to do!

20150510_082201_zpscmeypyen.jpg

Her tank is a filtered 20gal.

66dec05e-0333-44fd-8b4f-241405b4c43b_zps

And this is my favourite photo so far! Looks so grumpy!

Edited by GrumpyFish

Welcome to Koko's GrumpyFish!  This is a great place for advice and support.  The team here are so helpful and kind.  I hope you enjoy your time here!  :hi

Welcome to Kokos!  Clementine is beautiful.  She looks like a fantail to me, which is good because fantails are my favorite fancies.

If you haven't already done so, please read our guidelines for goldfish care.  You might find some useful suggestions there even though you clearly have been studying goldfish.

Did you do a fishless cycle or are you cycling the tank now?  If the latter, we can offer some tips.

:hi Welcome.  What a beautiful fish!  I agree with Shakaho that you have acquired a lovely fantail goldfish.  The color looks to be more of a metallic red and white than a nacreous calico pattern.  Many young fish have some black markings that fade as they mature.  True calicos generally have both matte and metallic scales as well as some blue and black coloration :)

Your beautiful fantail has a lovely home. 

Personally I prefer the less exaggerated hump of your fish to the more extreme Ryukins. 

.Anyone have any tips on getting goldfish to nibble on fingers or eat from your hands?

If you hold a pellet underwater, she'll eat it out of your hands. Then eventually, she'll associate your fingers with food and give them "fishy kisses" even when there is no food.

Best of luck with her.

WELCOME TO KOKO'S  :hi

• Helper

Welcome! Clementine is a beautiful little fish. If she is a Ryukin proper nutrition should help her hump fill in betger as she is growing, but agree she looks like a Fantail or a cross of the two to me. No biggie, she's still a stunner.

Good on you for learning about goldfish care and giving her a nice, roomy tank. It's just right for a single goldfish and I like your decorating scheme :)

Definitely read up here - I've ben keeoing goldfish on and off for just shy of two decades and I am STILL learning so much here. It's a friendly, wonderful, knowledgable board and we are so glad to have you join us.

Yay Clementine!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thankyou for all of the replies!

Shakaho:

Did you do a fishless cycle or are you cycling the tank now?  If the latter, we can offer some tips.

Thankyou very much! I already cycled the tank before I got her.

Jared:

:hi Welcome.  What a beautiful fish!  I agree with Shakaho that you have acquired a lovely fantail goldfish.  The color looks to be more of a metallic red and white than a nacreous calico pattern.  Many young fish have some black markings that fade as they mature.  True calicos generally have both matte and metallic scales as well as some blue and black coloration  :)

I didn't know that! I have noticed that she is metallic; I didn't realize you could tell calicos apart from Red/Whites based on their sheen.

mysterygirl and ChelseaM:

Thankyou for the tips on hand-feeding and finger-nibbling!

ArcticMama:

Welcome! Clementine is a beautiful little fish. If she is a Ryukin proper nutrition should help her hump fill in betger as she is growing, but agree she looks like a Fantail or a cross of the two to me. No biggie, she's still a stunner. 
Good on you for learning about goldfish care and giving her a nice, roomy tank. It's just right for a single goldfish and I like your decorating scheme  :)

Thankyou! I was going to put more stuff in, but she even likes swimming along the bottom, so I was thinking of leaving it like that. Hopefully she doesn't get bored. XD

Goldfishgirl82:

Hello and welcome, nice to meet you! I also have a fish named Clementine, it's a great name!   :thumbs:

lol, great minds think alike! I see yours in your sig! She's golden! So pretty. XD I chose the name because of a children's song; there's a girl named clementine who's bad at swimming. Sad song, but a cute name. :P

To everyone else who I didn't address above:

Thankyou for welcoming me and telling me that my fish is pretty. XD It seems that the general consensus is that she's a fantail, so I'll go with that. I'm super excited to watch her grow and change! It's nice meeting you all. :)

• 3 weeks later...