Handling goldfish

I've never been one to handle my fish, even when I had my giant EdgarTheFish years ago I always used a net to move him around. Butch has taken it upon himself though to swim into my hands when I'm working with them. This started during water changes and now at feeding time if I rest my hand in the water he'll swim into it and just kind of hang out and eat. I know a lot of people talk about training their fish to do this behavior, is it a natural behavior that's reinforced or is it a learned behavior? 

This was taken during today's WC (currently doing 100% WCs and he was in a smaller container) I just stuck my hand in and he swam right up into it and hung out for a good minute. 

20150513_154517_zpsh7pa8dde.jpg

I think it's fine if the fish comes to you.  Personally, I only handle my fish when I have to for weighing, health examination or transport.  In these instances, I use my hands.  

• Helper

Yes - if it is necessary for health I handle them, and if they swim to me for finger feeding or to investigate I don't see a problem, but I am mindful of the temperature of my hand and their slime coat integrity :)

Yes - if it is necessary for health I handle them, and if they swim to me for finger feeding or to investigate I don't see a problem, but I am mindful of the temperature of my hand and their slime coat integrity :)

I want to use the phrase "slime coat integrity"  in the very near future, preferably out of context.  :rofl

I remember being slightly amused when I first heard the term "slime coat..."  and seriously, now I am very mindful of its integrity. So true. 

But I sometimes gently touch the fish on their backs, like a pat. I tell them (and myself) it is a blessing. 

There is a great video on YouTube of a goldfish that loved to swim into his owner's hand and be tickled. So cute. At that point the fish is in charge of its own coat.  :P  

Edited by mysterygirl