What happened to Rocky's gill..!?

I just did a water change and noticed something unusual in Rocky's gill plate

He's the smallest fish I have (aprox 1.5" of body) so he gets pushed around by the others when feeding

Is his gill plate something to worry about ??

20150513_172601_zps38gfqrfg.jpg

20150513_172603_zpsmvcembz2.jpg

20150513_172601%20-%20Copy_zps48fegzc8.j

I think there has been another member here that had/has a fish with a gill plate bent out like Rocky.   But wait, is it sticking out/bent or is that something in it sticking out?  You should be getting some help before too long. 

I can't help you with Rocky, but my Goldie has the outward turned gills. In some cases it is simply genetic, in others, a sign of a problem. Goldie is healthy and doing fine, she's 4.

Gill Curl or Genetics?

Goldie Hawn might have gill curl from being kept in a bowl or a fair baggie far too long. Not enough room to turn, not enough oxygen, poor water conditions or all three.  I’m posting this as a Before photo so we can check on her in a couple of years and compare.

If she had been treated better in the past I would have hoped that it is simply an expression of out-turned opercula. Our resident biologist Sharon has pointed out in a previous post that this is considered an attractive trait. I guess I still hope that. Her gills seem healthy to me so fingers crossed.

GolidieOtherSide.jpg

Edited by mysterygirl

I don't know 210oranda!  One minute your fish was fine and the next you saw it bent?  Perhaps post a photo of your tank that he came out of.  Any decorations he could have possibly injured himself somehow?

I don't know 210oranda!  One minute your fish was fine and the next you saw it bent?  Perhaps post a photo of your tank that he came out of.  Any decorations he could have possibly injured himself somehow?

Well.. He's the smallest one so every day I have to "fish him" (w/net) & feed him individually so I don't know if "fishing him" 2-3 times a day can mess up with his plates.. Everyone else is faster so if I don't "net" him, he wouldn't get any food..

(I don't know any other way to feed him besides catching him w/ the net :( )

Here's another video.. Now I don't know if is the gill plate (bent out) or something else sticking out..