Sign in to follow this  
QandD

White stuff in QT?

I've had my new little oranda, Victoria, in quarantine for a week now. She just finished 1 round of Prazi at .3% salt and seems mostly fine (eating, being excited, not gasping or bottom-sitting). 

I am quarantining her in a 10 gallon without a filter. Her poop, from what I can tell, looks OK, but I noticed when I did a 100% water change today that there was a lot of strange light-colored (kind of tan) and white material floating around in her water. It has a gossamer quality. Could it be her slime coat? I also noticed a tiny fray in her tail, so I'm worried that she is stressed. Is this "biofilm"? 

I was thinking of not feeding her for a day or two to see if the stuff is some kind of mystery poo. 

Hi. Sorry to hear you are having some trouble with your fish. I'm not able to give any advice, but it might help if you posted some pics for the moderators to look at, and fill out the D&D checklist, as it will give them a better idea what is going on. It is here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116133-help-request-check-list/ Hopefully someone will be along who will be able to help you figure this out quickly! 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Hi. Sorry to hear you are having some trouble with your fish. I'm not able to give any advice, but it might help if you posted some pics for the moderators to look at, and fill out the D&D checklist, as it will give them a better idea what is going on. It is here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116133-help-request-check-list/ Hopefully someone will be along who will be able to help you figure this out quickly! 

I changed the water this afternoon so the parameters would be all zeros and the gross stuff down the drain, but I'll check to see if it's back tomorrow and post (gross) pics, etc. She's doing OK--I am mostly concerned that it's indicative of some kind of developing problem.

It could have been some slime coat.  Do you have an air stone in the qt tank?  You'll want to make sure the tubing is secure to the sides of the tank so her tail won't get torn more.  How are you dissolving the salt?   If your still concerned tomorrow you should consider filling out the d&d thread that Crystal has provided and post a photo of the stuff in question if you see it again.  

I do have an airstone and I had been dissolve Morton's pickling salt in a stocking, but today I did it in warm water when I did her water change. I will try to pin the air stone to the side or bottom of the tank, but it's hard to get it to stick since I have no substrate. 

Will report back soon!

Do you have any of those little suction things to attach to your tubing?  That's what you need.  You don't wan your fish tail to get stuck in the tubing especially if your fish has a long flowing tail.

Yes, when I add salt to my qt tank I first add all the salt into a pitcher of tank water and stir it all around until it's all dissolved.  Once it's dissolved I add it slowly to the qt tank away from the fish, especially their face.  Sounds like you did it good.

Edited by 4prettyfish