Who has the biggest Koko's Goldfish?

Ree

Hi,

I was trying to figure out how to measure my two babies, and it got me to wondering, just which of the Koko goldfish is the biggest?

I know my two aren't.  Louie is 6g and pOdge 33g at their last weigh in.

So, tell me how long your fish are, and their weight.  I want to know which of Koko's treasures are the longest or heaviest!

Oh, and how old they are too!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have the biggest or longest fish at all. But only being 1½ year "in the game", and my two fish haven grow from 8 and 10 grams and less than 5 cm long, to over 15 cm (TL) and 120+ grams - that I find a lot of joy in. Just seeing them grow, be happy and thrive is just awesome :) Also they are only LFS finds and not quality fish which often has the biggest growth potential

Edited by Fancyblackgold

Don't have the biggest or longest fish at all. But only being 1½ year "in the game", and my two fish haven grow from 8 and 10 grams and less than 5 cm long, to over 15 cm (TL) and 120+ grams - that I find a lot of joy in. Just seeing them grow, be happy and thrive is just awesome :) Also they are only LFS finds and not quality fish which often has the biggest growth potential

That's the sort of thing I want to hear!  I love that you are proud of your little critters no matter how big they are!  Thanks for sharing how much they have grown in the last year and a half.  Is that between 12 to 15 times what they were?  That's amazing.  You have given me just what I wanted.  Thankyou Fancy Black Gold!

I didn't really make this clear to start off with.  What I am interested in finding out in this thread for myself, and I guess for other newbies, is how big a goldfish can really grow in good conditions, and how fast.  I think this would have made more sense to me with the stocking quota when I first started looking into goldfish again.  That's the main reason I asked, the other reason being that I wanted to see how much growth is reasonable to expect in how much time... if that makes sense!  

So tell me more..... What breed, how big when it arrived home, how long have you had them, and how long/heavy are they now? 

• Helper

Before sending them off to their new home I have to say Tithra's Hashi and Edie are the first that come to mind as enormous. They were also in immaculate health thanks to their careful fish mama :)

Single tail varieties and Orandas are generally very large. It depends more on care and genetics than anything else. Just like there are bigger and smaller people, there and bigger and smaller fish. But pristine water in large quantities and a healthy diet at 3-5% of the fish's body weight as a juvenile will net it excellent growth in the first few years. It is really so individual.

My fish grow 1-2 inches a year, and that will taper off a bit as they age.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Jared's fish are very big and really FAT :teehee

Also, I know Helen has had some whoppers and some old fish too but I don't know the size of her current goldfish :idont

Edited by Flipper

• Helper

That's right! I forgot about Jared's chunky chu's! Maybe Helen will chime in with some measurements.

The theme, again, is great husbandry habits and nutrition. Lots of space, lots of good food, lots of fastidious care and observation by their owners. You can totally replicate these things yourself, Ree, and give your fish their very best chance to thrive.

Edited by Arctic Mama

It's hard to tell with my girls (ever since getting shots, they are much less keen on being held for measurements) but they are at least over 10 inches (we think 12, but again, it's hard to get them to hold still now that they associate being held with shots ... their next vet checkup is going to be fun). The boys are much smaller (Idris and the foster are barely 3 inches and Guy is about 4 not counting his tail).

Also, I know Helen has had some whoppers and some old fish too but I don't know the size of her current goldfish :idont

:bat:

I think my biggest fish now is Maruko at 5 inches without the tail.  She weighed 240 grams a few months ago.  I got her as a baby and have had her for 3 years.

That is also so crazy massive, Jared. :yikes  You need to post photo of your beauty.  A lot of us know what she looks like but for those that don't. :)

Now, try and not be too jealous BUT

at last weigh in, Peanut was a whopping 19.4 g.  :rofl3   I got him in July 2013 and he weighed 5 g.

Compare that to Waldo, my fry, who hatched Jan 22, 2014.  He is now just over 60 g. 

I would guess Peanut was probably a few months old when I got him, making him about a year older than my fry.  Despite growing up in the same 75 gallon tank, they have grown at vastly different rates.  I'd say it's genetics along with the fact that it takes Peanut probably close to 2 minutes to figure out I dropped food in the tank.  Meanwhile, all the other fish have been eating since the second I dropped the food in.  Peanut is .. .  um, special.  :rofl2

Doesn't Jason have a huge fish also?

My biggest is at a total of 8 inches including tail.  Without tail about 4 1/2 maybe, and probably at least 120g  (Oranda: Dexter)

Another fish of mine about 6 inches total including tail, probably now at least 105g  (Ranchu: Jersey Boy)

That's right! I forgot about Jared's chunky chu's! Maybe Helen will chime in with some measurements.

The theme, again, is great husbandry habits and nutrition. Lots of space, lots of good food, lots of fastidious care and observation by their owners. You can totally replicate these things yourself, Ree, and give your fish their very best chance to thrive.

Thanks for the support Arctic Mama.  That's just what I want to do.  Make my babies healthy, happy and strong. :r030:

It's hard to tell with my girls (ever since getting shots, they are much less keen on being held for measurements) but they are at least over 10 inches (we think 12, but again, it's hard to get them to hold still now that they associate being held with shots ... their next vet checkup is going to be fun). The boys are much smaller (Idris and the foster are barely 3 inches and Guy is about 4 not counting his tail).

ilak, they sound amazing!  I don't blame them for being skitsh after having injections!  OW!  I have been feeding my babies in separate containers away from their QT tank, and they hardly wiggle at all when I pick them up now.  I think they associate being picked up with food..... and we all know how to get to a goldies heart don't we............

:bat:

I think my biggest fish now is Maruko at 5 inches without the tail.  She weighed 240 grams a few months ago.  I got her as a baby and have had her for 3 years.

That is also so crazy massive, Jared. :yikes  You need to post photo of your beauty.  A lot of us know what she looks like but for those that don't. :)

Photo!

Photo!

Photo!

Photo!

:please

Now, try and not be too jealous BUT

at last weigh in, Peanut was a whopping 19.4 g.  :rofl3   I got him in July 2013 and he weighed 5 g.

Compare that to Waldo, my fry, who hatched Jan 22, 2014.  He is now just over 60 g. 

I would guess Peanut was probably a few months old when I got him, making him about a year older than my fry.  Despite growing up in the same 75 gallon tank, they have grown at vastly different rates.  I'd say it's genetics along with the fact that it takes Peanut probably close to 2 minutes to figure out I dropped food in the tank.  Meanwhile, all the other fish have been eating since the second I dropped the food in.  Peanut is .. .  um, special.  :rofl2

Peanut sounds beautiful!  I had a fish who didn't know what to do with food.... until the other fish had been eating a while, then it was like "oh.... FOOD!... I remember now!" :teehee

Doesn't Jason have a huge fish also?

My biggest is at a total of 8 inches including tail.  Without tail about 4 1/2 maybe, and probably at least 120g  (Oranda: Dexter)

Another fish of mine about 6 inches total including tail, probably now at least 105g  (Ranchu: Jersey Boy)

They sound so amazing 4prettyfish, I cant wait till my babies are growing... I think Louie has grown, but pOdge has been too sick... but he is eating again now YAY!  So should be happening soon!

BTW my biggest fish is Saki who was 134 g at last weigh in.  Not surprisingly, I didn't raise her.  She came from Jared.  :Scoff:

:rofl

So Jared is the breeder of the monster fish?  LOL  How long is Saki and how old fantailfan1?  She sounds cute.  I love the name.

He's not the breeder.  He's my ranchu supplier :rofl3 cuz I can't find them near me.  He actually bought Saki for his sister then she decided to get out of GF.  He took Saki in but didn't really have room for her so I got her from him last April on spring break.  :rockon 

I never measure the length.  :idont  She's kinda biggish.  :rofl

Newton is about 5-6 inches exclusive tail. 

How long including tail motherredcap?  He sounds like a beautiful big fish!