New idea for gel food

LouiseAnn

I was exited that Australia has finally got a commercial gel food avaliable. Its called algae gel by new life spectrum.

I was going through the ingredient list and it sounds ok.

Then it twigged.... the ingredients are very similar to a old flake food I used to put in my gel food I would make with fresh produce plus a little extra. i hated freezin the gel and never used it all.

THEN the idea. I grabbed the mortar and pestal and ground the flake up. Added some pro biotic and spirulena. Once a fine powder added the last of my agar agar powder. About a level teaspoon. The ratio of powder to agar is 1 part agar 5 parts powder.

Got a small tub. Filled with aenough water to last 3 days as gel... dusted the surface with the powder mixed together and popped it into the microwave.

BAM a small amount of gel food that set in 5 mins! The gel set quight thick so im going to try add more dry ingredient to it.

Question:

do you think I could use dried peas to grind into the powder?

Has anyone else hot recipes using this method?

Do you think making a flake/grain food into a gel is better than just feeding the flake/grain?

Any other ideas welcome ????

As far as the AlgaeGel goes, I like it and I use it. It's quick, easy, and not as labor-intensive, on top of having so many different algaes and almost no terrestrial plant matter. It is made for fish with ingredients fish would eat. (minus the flours, of course)

Grinding the flake down into a gel powder just seems like more work than is worth it. 

As far as the AlgaeGel goes, I like it and I use it. It's quick, easy, and not as labor-intensive, on top of having so many different algaes and almost no terrestrial plant matter. It is made for fish with ingredients fish would eat. (minus the flours, of course)

Grinding the flake down into a gel powder just seems like more work than is worth it.

Yes thats a great point. The flake was more of a experiment and IMO a great way to use the left over food for my fish.

I'm not dismissing the nls algae gel, just wanting to discuss possibilities for a different method of making gel food.

I'm interested to know if there are other ideas out there. For example I know there is a recipe great for floaty fish when replashy isnt enough. I wonder if there is a way to make your own gel food tailored to your fish out of dry ingredients instead of wet.

I wonder if making your pelet food into gel would be better for your fish than simply feeding pellets. Or if it would help a floaty fish by just using what you already have.

Or maybe the complete opposite and should just stick to using wet ingredients.

????????????

I would think that it would just be another way of getting the food into the fish, since a gel food is  basically  a pellet that hasn't been formed + a gelling agent. 

I've attempted the pellet to gel thing in the past, and it didn't change anything regarding floatiness. This makes me think that it isn't just the form, but specific ingredients as well. 

For one of my fish who refused to eat pellets, I turned them into a gel food mixed with things he would eat to hide the pellet and make it more palatable for him. So in this case it was worth the effort of grinding up the dry food. Not sure if it would be worth it if the fish would eat the pellets by themselves though. It's an interesting way to mix food together though if you want to do that and add vitamins and such. 

I add a variety of commercial pellets and higher quality flakes to my gel food without grinding them first, the liquid will soften them when you feed your fish. I want to be sure my fish get the balanced nutrition a quality pellet contains. I also incorporate pea-like edamame, fresh dark greens and blood worms.