Sign in to follow this  
lizam

morton's canning salt

Hi! I have two small ornadas, Jadzia & Cherub, in quarantine. I am running out of API Salt but I bought Morton's Canning Salt the other day because I have read that it is a good one to use and it's dirt cheap. It's a fine salt though so I am just wondering how much to use? Is it 1tsp per gallon for a .1% solution? If it's not a good salt to use I will go and get some API for sure.

That's what I use along with so many of us. :)    The no additives, preservatives, or clumping.  You will save a ton of money.

I use about 3/4 teaspoon for each gallon because it's so fine.  If you have a small scale you can measure it out even.  I can't think of how much though. 

.  You will save a ton of money.

I use about 3/4 teaspoon for each gallon because it's so fine.  If you have a small scale you can measure it out even.  I can't think of how much though.

Thanks! :) That's grea

Your welcome :)  

I hope your fish has a fast qt time and that everything goes well for them.

I can't remember the gramage either but Lisa and Jared (the math wizzes) will know the answer to that :)

I'll go find Lisa ;)

Did someone call?  :rofl

If you weigh in grams rather than using tsp, you would use 37.9 grams to bring 10 gallons to 0.1%.  :D

If your tank is in liters cuz you're anywhere but the USA :rofl , then use your tank size in grams to bring the water to 0.1%.  For example, if your tank is 50 liters, then you use 50 g of salt to raise it to 0.1%.

Make sense?  :idont

I love that woman :D

That's awesome :) Thanks very much!

Given how kitchen scales are relatively inexpensive, and chances are you may already have one in your kitchen, I think that the system of using teaspoons and tablespoon really should be done away with, and we go with exact amount in weight. :)

Given how kitchen scales are relatively inexpensive, and chances are you may already have one in your kitchen, I think that the system of using teaspoons and tablespoon really should be done away with, and we go with exact amount in weight. :)

Thanks that makes sense. I do have a scale and I weighed it out. Glad I did because otherwise I would have overdosed!

Edited by lizam