Thinking of doing something more with my tank, any ideas?

EdgarTheFish

He's blending in the bottom right corner of the pic. My black moor, Trez ;)  I've never had any live plants before, working and going to school full time- how much does it add to my tank care? (I'm already battling kh issues and finishing up cycling the tank)

• Supporter

No etra care really. Just light. And not really that much needed there. Anubias us one of the easiest plants to grow and can be attached to a rock or driftwood if you don't want substrate.

I'd recommend getting a bigger tank for them as soon as you can. A 29 would be good or 40B would be awesome for two goldfish. Also not that expensive if you get them on sale.

That's funny for I thought Trez was part of the plant.  An Anubias plant shouldn't take too much care.  About 5 hours of light to keep it alive.  Maybe add some liquid Excel once a week also.  I'm sure you are probably aware of this but two fish really shouldn't be in a 20g long term.  I wouldn't want to do it at least.  Do you have room for a 40 breeder tank?  That could possibly be a forever home for them.  I'm sorry I mentioned this for you had asked for other advice.

I mentioned in my OP that I plan on upgrading again in the future as my fish grow... This is one reason I've been reluctant to post here other than I really like how educational the forum is.. I really don't understand why posters are hounded constantly about this. I understand the need to educate people but it's becoming an obsession on this forum... 

I think an anubias would be a good choice if you want to go with an easy live plant. That's what I have in my bare bottom tank, mixed with fake plants. I just tied them to driftwood (or a rock would work too). Or Java Fern works this same way too. A basic fluorescent light seems to be plenty for that type of plant, and I don't add any fertilizers or anything (the fish waste is enough  :teehee ). Or, you could get a couple large, smooth, decorative rocks to put in there that don't take up too much space. I've found those look nice in bare bottom tanks if you get real pretty ones. :)

He's blending in the bottom right corner of the pic. My black moor, Trez ;)

Oh I love him! And the name. He's like "She's pointing something at us. Perhaps there's food in it for me."  You have his full attention.

I would go with a small piece of Malaysian driftwood and a java fern if the tank gets enough natural light. You don't want the color of the ornaments to compete with your little living jewels. Could you group them together?  

But it is fun, the tank evolves and changes - and of course: gets larger.

I'd stick with the bare bottom you have now.

Edited by mysterygirl

Maybe add in a background?

Some interesting designs at pet stores or you can make one yourself.

It could dress it up nicely and probably won't cost much.

If you get bored of what you have, it's easy to change.

I mentioned in my OP that I plan on upgrading again in the future as my fish grow... This is one reason I've been reluctant to post here other than I really like how educational the forum is.. I really don't understand why posters are hounded constantly about this. I understand the need to educate people but it's becoming an obsession on this forum... 

There have been times when new members (and I observe that you are not new) were greeted with pages of comments about stocking levels, sometimes ordering them to go out and get a larger tank RIGHT NOW.  This is no longer acceptable, and people who think someone needs advice on stocking levels, water changes, etc. should link them to our guidelines.  

I thought the comment from 4prettyfish, was very polite, but I do understand how one can feel hounded by repeated criticisms of one's fish husbandry.  

Plants really don't add work.  You just have to add light if you don't already have it.  

There have been times when new members (and I observe that you are not new) were greeted with pages of comments about stocking levels, sometimes ordering them to go out and get a larger tank RIGHT NOW.  This is no longer acceptable, and people who think someone needs advice on stocking levels, water changes, etc. should link them to our guidelines.  

I thought the comment from 4prettyfish, was very polite, but I do understand how one can feel hounded by repeated criticisms of one's fish husbandry.  

Plants really don't add work.  You just have to add light if you don't already have it.  

While the comment from 4pretty fish, immediately following Daniel E's comment, was polite, Hidr has only proved my point once again by the lovely comment about saving my money for an upgrade.  Feeling hounded and being hounded are different things. This is really obnoxious and rude at this point as I've said each time that I plan on upgrading in the future and still, instead of offering an idea on decor I'm offered financial advice to upgrade the tank. This is the last I'm replying to anyone on this subject in my decor thread. 

That being said, I really appreciate the anubias advice and I'm going to check into the backgrounds, Trez does blend in quite a bit. Thank you everyone for your imput, I used to paint my backgrounds when I had my 30 g before I had to move so maybe I can get a color that suits both fish so Trez doesn't blend as much. When I just had Trez (before my uncle dumped Butch on me) I had black gravel, no idea what I was thinking at the time, it took us a while to find him for anything! 

Wow just WOW.  Sometimes advice is not always what we want to hear that does not make it rude or bad advice. 

PS rocks are free so I like that idea.  Also you can get a back ground for that size tank by  going to the fabric left over table and get something that will fit for just a couple bucks.

Edited by Hidr

• Admin

ETF_Ava

Im sorry that this happened to you.... I know that everyone wants to help and make sure your fish are doing good.

But the problem is that this member "ETF_Ava" didnt ask for stocking advice she asked about decor... Please guys I know you want to help but when we do this "stocking level" thing when someone didnt ask for advice your just going to make the person upset.....

Just take a min and ask your self would you want some one to do this to you, or PM you and harass you about your stocking levels? No you wouldnt...

So Im asking everyone lets stay on topic and use the link that Sharon gave you...

thank you

koko

I painted a background for the tank just for fun and it looks much lighter before its attached to the tank unless I'm using flash, so I'll probably be making another one on my next day off if I get free time again. 

20150513_221847_zpsksnurnpj.jpg

20150513_221951_zpsjoy8v44o.jpg

I also put down this light brown fabric in effort to hide all my supplies under the tank since I don't have a pretty wood stand. Being barebottom, it shows up looking kind of like waves of sand, kinda fun. 

20150513_222112_zps1rmzdpbp.jpg

I painted a background for the tank just for fun and it looks much lighter before its attached to the tank unless I'm using flash, so I'll probably be making another one on my next day off if I get free time again. 

20150513_221847_zpsksnurnpj.jpg

20150513_221951_zpsjoy8v44o.jpg

I also put down this light brown fabric in effort to hide all my supplies under the tank since I don't have a pretty wood stand. Being barebottom, it shows up looking kind of like waves of sand, kinda fun. 

20150513_222112_zps1rmzdpbp.jpg

Hi ETF_Ava, :hi

I love :wub:  the brown fabric effect under the glass... a brilliant solution to having sand 'look' in a bare bottom tank!!!!! :thumbup2:

Edited by Ree