My Pleco was inside the filter!

A while ago I noticed that the filter was overflowing the filter box's overflow part so I thought the filter pads were clogged up. I checked and they seemed fine. And yesterday on WC day I seen something in the filter by the intake tube that was yellow. I put my finger in to get it thinking it was gunk floating in there. When I put my finger it disappeared. Then it reappeared a few seconds later. I thought the current in the box was swishing it around whatever it was. I put my finger in the filter box again and it splashed! UGH I realized there was a fish inside of the filter! I turned it off and looked inside, I saw Woodstock, my Bristle Nose Pleco looking up at me!! :yikes I took the filter off the tank and poured him back out into the tank. He looked a bit frazzled but OK.

I have no idea how he got in there or how long he was inside the filter box!

Here's Woodstock after I got him back into the tank looking stunned and not moving for several minutes before darting off into hiding. Crazy Pleco! :teehee

102_4722%202.jpg

Glad it worked out and you found him. Whew! There can be a lot of food in there....Queen B. would LOVE to get in to our bio filter to feed, if she could get out, of course.

Edited by mysterygirl

Today Woodstock is missing again.....I looked in the filter but nope....I looked under the driftwood and on the driftwood but nope.....I looked inside the hollow log everywhere but nope again :idont  Then I looked on the floor to see if he escaped the tank somehow, nope. He didn't even come out to eat his beloved algae pellets or bottom feeder catfish pellets :no: He is usually the first one out to get food before Snoopy, my Golden Algae Eater gets out of hiding to eat. :hummm

I keep peeking in thru the bedroom door to see if I can catch him out and about but no, nothing all day. I looked everywhere in the tank again tonight and I still don't see him anywhere!

Woodstock, where are you??? :(

I hope he comes out soon! Do you think he buried himself in the substrate?

Hmmm I have no idea, but it is aquarium gravel on the bottom so it wouldn't be too easy to bury himself would it?

Love the name Woodstock.:)  I hope he is in the tank somewhere and is just playing hide n seek with you.   He's a little cutie.  Hope he's okay.

Several weeks ago I was upgrading my tropical tank filter with a filter I already had and I was transferring the media over and taking apart the tubing and all.  I had set the filter on the counter and was going to get back to it later that night when I thought I saw something moving around in the filter box.  Sure enough I saw one of my very tiny celestial pearl danio fish swimming around.  I was so happy that I didn't originally dump everything in the sink and rinse/clean the filter right away.  He would have been a bye bye tiny fish down my drain and I wouldn't have even noticed.  :(  I now have a filter sponge on my intake tube.

If you don't see him in the next day or so, I would take something like the handle of a spoon and every so gently push it through the gravel.

Did you find him???? I used to keep African clawd frogs and they always would jump out of the tank, I found one dead in my closet, sad day. I don't keep them anymore for that reason but plecos usually stay IN the tank, lol So sorry hope you find him.

:yikes I'm sorry, but was initially kind of a funny story ............. Until now you can't find him :( I hope he comes out soon :hug

I hope Woodstock comes out to say hi soon! Finding him in the filter box is a really funny story -- as long as you can find him so the story has a happy ending.

Ugh I found the little runaway last night! My fiancé went to bed and was too tired to turn off the tank lights in the bedroom last night so when I went to bed at midnight I was going over to the tanks to turn off all the lights when I seen the little booger in his 2nd favorite spot which is under the driftwood tunnel. I was so relieved! Then I waved my finger at him and told him never to scare me like this again! He has done this 3 times so far. First time is when I first added him to the tank as a youngster and he was clinging onto the roof of the crocodile decoration's mouth, then the filter hideout the other day and then under the driftwood when I swear he wasn't ANYWHERE at all in the tank.

I think he does this to scare me on purpose because it entertains him :rolleyes:  :huh:

:teehee he's a :devil: fish picking on his mom like that :rofl

I'm glad all is well :bighug

:teehee he's a :devil: fish picking on his mom like that :rofl

I'm glad all is well :bighug

Thanks! :)

He's just lucky I love him! :wub:

Ugh I found the little runaway last night!  I think he does this to scare me on purpose because it entertains him .

Woodstock is SUCH an appropriate name for him. You have a real talent for naming your critters! And I'm  glad your story had a happy ending. :hug   

I've definitely been through something like that emotionally. 

In my case it took a new female addition to the pond to bring my "dead" fish out of hiding.... ;)

That's a pleco for you!  :teehee  I've had times where I couldn't find mine for over a week or more. I even panicked because I'd pulled everything out of my tank and STILL couldn't find him. When I was putting things back in I found him on the towel on my bedroom floor. He had come out with the driftwood. Apparently he'd been up in one of the crevices all that time. Silly thing. 

I'm so glad you found yours and can stop worrying now. :)