Josie!

Josie

My dog Josie had her first trial today-I entered her in 3 novice A runs at a CDSP trial.  She took first place in her first and third run!  I was so excited.  She did everything nearly perfectly in her second run, but during her down stay she decided that the floor smelled really good and that she should stand up and follow the scent LOL.  Overall I am very pleased with her performance, it seemed with each trial she was more confident and focused than the one before.

The novice class goes like this:

1) On leash heel pattern, with right, left and about turns, also fast and slow time

2) Off leash figure 8 around two people

3) Off leash "moving" stand for exam

4) Recall over a jump with a finish

5) Sit or down stay (your choice) while handler walks the perimeter of the ring

So this means that if Josie has one qualifying novice run at the next trial, she will earn her novice title!  Yay!  Then it will be on to the open class...

Here is Josie with her ribbons :)

qIDqbhjl.jpg

Edited by Josie

Congratulations! That's a lot of work for both of you to get to the point of qualifying - & a big bonus to place, & 1st place at that! I do think Open is more fun than Novice - the jumps & retrieves add variety, & the drop on recall is a useful command. :)

Congratulations! That's a lot of work for both of you to get to the point of qualifying - & a big bonus to place, & 1st place at that! I do think Open is more fun than Novice - the jumps & retrieves add variety, & the drop on recall is a useful command. :)

Thank you!  Yes I agree-open and utility are waaaaayyy more fun for the dog and handler.  We have already been working on dumbell retrieves (flat and over a jump), go outs, and scent articles.  I feel pretty confident in the open class except for our go-outs, which need some work.  The next trial isn't until the end of June, so by then I think Josie should be able to complete her last leg of novice and hopefully qualify in at least one leg of open.  We are also working on agility and flyball, and I plan to have her evaluated for herding instinct.  I have no idea what breeds she is but she is pretty high energy/drive so we will see if she likes sheep too :)

Edited by Josie

So on a whim I decided to enter Josie in a Barn Hunt trial today!  Barn Hunt is a really cool dog sport that I recently learned about.  Basically there is a course made out of bales of hay set up in a barn with rats hidden in them, and the dog has to find the rats in a given period of time!  What a great way to let your dog use their natural instincts!  It turned out to be a lot harder than I thought.  The dog is in charge, and the handler needs to be able to really read their dog to know when the rat has been found.  Josie and I entered in the "instinct test" and novice.  We didn't pass either one LOL but it was our first time ever trying it and it was still a ton of fun.  Watching the experienced dog/handler teams was amazing!  We got to meet a lot of nice people, and in a couple weeks we are going to a different farm so that we can get some practice in before the next trial.

In her "instinct test" Josie found the rat, but immediately decided to pee on the ground next to it, so she was disqualified.  On her novice run I started freaking out because I thought we were running out of time and I didn't let her work the whole course before I guessed where the rat was...and of course I was way off!

Hopefully once we get some practice in Josie will know that she is looking for a particular scent, and I will learn not to freak out, how to read her rat indicators, and to trust her-I am used to being the one in charge so it is a big change for me to be following her lead LOL!

Of course there are more rules to it-like during each course a dog must go through a hay bale "tunnel" and also execute a climb.  And don't worry, because the rats are completely safe.  They are inside very strong PVC tubes so the dogs can't hurt them.  There are also hidden tubes with just dirty rat bedding in them to try to trick your dog!  Oh, and the rats are somebody's pets-they are very spoiled on their days off :)

Here is a picture of Josie hanging out on a hay bale after her attempts:

MtFsIBLl.jpg

Edited by Josie

Wow! Sounds tough! I wonder why she peed :lol2

Keep up the good work you two! :hi5

Wow! Sounds tough! I wonder why she peed :lol2

Keep up the good work you two! :hi5

Thanks!  Well, the event took place in a barn where there was lots of smells and I am sure the farm cats had peed in there already.  About half of the novice dogs peed and were disqualified, so at least we were in good company!  The experienced dogs who knew that they were there to work did not seem to have that problem :)