Fish lethargic and seems off balance

I would say just make sure the first thing you do with it after you clean it is suck water OUT of your tank and that will help push any residue left in there out. Or, after you clean it, soak it in a tub with some water and lots of prime. That should also help deactivate any traces left. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helper

Thanks, I'll definitely do that, although now I'm worried if I managed to transfer the ich from Chico to my main tank, that my younger guys will have it too x.x So treating them as well. I'm so Mad with myself x.x

Sorry to hear that ich has manifested in your tank. Your instincts to separate the bn plecos is a good one.

Jared has recently salted 0.3% in his goldfish tank which included anubias and bn plecos. The anubias appear to be okay. As for the bn plecos, they slowed down considerably and one passed (was it the salt though??). I suggest taking out your plecos and salting them separately at a lower dosage initially (I salted to .2% without any adverse reactions), then raising to .3% and observe carefully.

As for anubias, I would also separate them although it appears in Jared's experience the anubias are handling the salt.

• Helper

Sorry to hear that ich has manifested in your tank. Your instincts to separate the bn plecos is a good one.

Jared has recently salted 0.3% in his goldfish tank which included anubias and bn plecos. The anubias appear to be okay. As for the bn plecos, they slowed down considerably and one passed (was it the salt though??). I suggest taking out your plecos and salting them separately at a lower dosage initially (I salted to .2% without any adverse reactions), then raising to .3% and observe carefully.

As for anubias, I would also separate them although it appears in Jared's experience the anubias are handling the salt.

Thanks so much. I will keep a close eye on the plecs with a lower salt concentration than the goldies.

Is it ok to prazi at the same time as treating for ich

I just finished a 14 day treatment of 0.3% salt and double Prazipro in all of my tanks for an unknown parasite (not Ich).  

The Anubias and Java Fern did fine with the exception of a few of yellowed leaves on my Anubias Afzelii.  I think your Anacharis will die, though.  I would just QT the plants with no fish for a couple of weeks and disinfect them with either potassium permanganate or a bleach solution to be sure.  

My Plecos definitely seemed stressed and less active during the salt treatment.  One died, though I don't know the exact cause.  I will be observing them for the next week or so to see if they return to normal.  I am researching Plecos and medicines, but still have yet to find a conclusive answer on what parasite medicines (and what dosages) are safe for them while still being potent enough to kill the parasites.  I can say that in the past, my Plecos have been fine with several rounds of the regular dose of Prazipro without salt.

Yes, you can use Prazi along with the 0.3% salt, but remember to double dose the Prazi if it's Prazipro.  I also recommend doing 2 more 5-day rounds of just Prazipro after the salt is finished.  Powdered Prazi does not need to be double dosed.

If you have a heater, raise the temperature to 78-80 F to speed up the Ich and fluke life cycles.  

• Helper

Thanks so much Jared. Ive only got 0.05 in with the plecs atm and got the anacharis separate from other things

Ill see about getting some pp. I have heaters but no thermometer right now. Should arrive this week.

• Helper

Also If I just salt the anubias and raise temp that should kill the ich, right? All my anubias is rooted to driftwood so I hate the idea of removing it but using any chemicals on the wood scares me too, worried it would like seep in lol. I'm fine with just QTing them with no fish though. Although all my driftwood is planted so I've still got a piece in with the plecos for them to hide under and rasp on

And one last thing, if I buy the PP to treat the anacharis, is this the right thing? http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=57573

I've never use it before, just QT plants or used bleach

Edited by FishyMandy

Also If I just salt the anubias and raise temp that should kill the ich, right? All my anubias is rooted to driftwood so I hate the idea of removing it but using any chemicals on the wood scares me too, worried it would like seep in lol. I'm fine with just QTing them with no fish though. Although all my driftwood is planted so I've still got a piece in with the plecos for them to hide under and rasp on

And one last thing, if I buy the PP to treat the anacharis, is this the right thing? http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=57573

I've never use it before, just QT plants or used bleach

Yes.  This was my problem, too.  I have several large pieces of Mopani wood covered with rooted Anubias.  Removing them wasn't really an option.

Yes, that's it :)

• Helper

Thanks Jared :)

It's awful I've only ever seen ich on my fish's fins before, never seen it get bad enough to be all over them but it is all over Abraham and Honey. I'm going to order some more Prazi and do the six rounds instead of the usual 2-3 I do for routine. Here are some photos I just snapped with my phone

11214022_10153010714543019_1681446355631

1454780_10153010714713019_73841656480731

11219076_10153010714853019_3951428089647

11120508_10153010715023019_2904589114519

10885593_10153010715208019_5183484049938

11241138_10153010713668019_1974537131_o.

It looks the worst on Honey and Abraham and Abraham seems the worst affected with how he is acting

I wanted to wish you luck and mention that ick on plecos can be treated with just heat. My barn managers son had plecos and would slowly raise the heat to 85 degrees Fahrenheit with large water changes same temp when he ran into ick issue. please note only for the plecos not the goldies. Just wanted to mention that :) 

• Helper

Are you at 0.3% salt yet?  When you get your thermometer, gradually raise the temp to 78-80 F.  Keep that bubble wand going for added oxygen :)

Yep all goldies are at 0.3%, Plecos are at 1%.

I had another question, how long does it take for ich to die without a fish host?

Good luck Mandy. Ich can be very persistent and frustrating to get rid of completely. You need careful strategies and lots of patience. Hope your fishes get better soon. :)

According to my experience, at 30-32 degrees Centigrade, Ich dies off in 7 days without host. At 26 degrees, it takes 10-15 days. Add 5 days to these figures to be double sure.

Look for signs of septicemia that could follow ich, as the organs of the fishes are injured and their immune systems overworked and compromised.

Edited by bagho

• Helper

Are you at 0.3% salt yet?  When you get your thermometer, gradually raise the temp to 78-80 F.  Keep that bubble wand going for added oxygen :)

Yep all goldies are at 0.3%, Plecos are at 1%.

I had another question, how long does it take for ich to die without a fish host?

Without a host, in a planted tank, you're going to be rid of Ich by two weeks, max. It depends very much on temperature, but anywhere from 24 hours to three days for die out is common in a tropical tank, and with Goldies I tack on another few days because of the lower temperature, then another week because I'm a paranoid nutcase about these things.

The heat alone method (86+ F) can work for fish, but is not full proof.  Some strains of Ich can survive in temps of up to 90 F.  

At a temp of 78 F or higher along with 0.3% salt, the Ich should be gone in 2 weeks.  We generally say to keep the salt and heat going for 10 days after the last spot is gone.  

Okay, after some additional research, I am thinking the safest plan for all of the fish is this:

1) Treat the Goldfish, the wood and the Anubias together with 0.3% salt for 2 weeks at 78-80 F.

2) Treat the Plecos and Anacharis together with just heat for 2 weeks at 86+ F.  

3) Let's confer before you put the Plecos and the Anacharis back with the Goldfish.

I don't think 0.1% salt is going to do it for the Plecos and 0.3% may be too much for them.  As I mentioned, 2 of my Plecos survived 0.3% salt and double Prazipro, but one died.  I don't know that the salt and/or double dose of Prazi had anything to do with the death, but I do know it stressed the Plecos.  I will continue to dig for more info on medicating Plecos.  I actually joined a Pleco forum  :teehee

• Helper

Ok thankyou so much. I can't see any spots on the plecos but they are peppermints so hard to tell lol. Hopefully my thermometers will be here today or tomorrow and i can monitor the temp rather than trusting the heaters setting

Ok thankyou so much. I can't see any spots on the plecos but they are peppermints so hard to tell lol. Hopefully my thermometers will be here today or tomorrow and i can monitor the temp rather than trusting the heaters setting

Plecos are pretty resistant to Ich.  I am more concerned about them appearing asymptomatic and somehow carrying it back into the goldfish tank.  Make sure to raise the heat gradually to 86-88 and up the aeration.  

• Helper

Plecos are pretty resistant to Ich. I am more concerned about them appearing asymptomatic and somehow carrying it back into the goldfish tank. Make sure to raise the heat gradually to 86-88 and up the aeration.
I definitely will. I was worried with that with the plecs too