Cleaning filters/tank routine questions?

I'm in the process of setting up a 75 gallon, & have an Aquaclear 110 & a SunSun JP 23 pump with ATI Hydro Sponge 5 PRO (according to what the specs said, these will provide the 10x filtering recommended - I also have a little air stone running for more oxygen, or maybe the fish will play in it). My previous experience is with undergravel filters, & the little Aqueon 10 (the latter is what I'm running on my 10 gallon right now - I just change the disposable charcoal filter/floss thingie once a month). My question is, care/cleaning for these new filter types; I believe I should unplug them when doing weekly water change, take the whole filter layer thing out of the 110 & swoosh each bag & the sponge in the removed fish water bucket, replace water in the 110 box & turn back on when water is returned to usual level in the tank; & also take the whole sponge filter with attached powerhead out & swoosh & squeeze that in the old fish water in the bucket, then put back? I read that the charcoal bag in the 110 is optional, that I could put another bag of those ceramic tube things in instead, or some sort of other filter material? And the 110 motor area is supposed to be opened up & wiped out with a Q tip every 3 months? What about the SunSun JP 23? It didn't really have any instructions with it, does it need some sort of maintenance?

I don't clean the filter pads weekly, more like monthly. It's great that you know to do it in dechlorinated water. :)

Yes, you can stuff the filter with anything you'd like if you leave the charcoal bag out (which I do recommend, unless you're trying to remove traces of old meds from the tank). More ceramic rings is great if you think you need more areas for the beneficial bacteria to colonize. I just about never rinse those, though.

I'm not good about cleaning the impeller area with a Q tip unless the filter isn't running well. :peeka

• Helper

I'm pretty lazy on cleaning my pumps unless they're making noise. Impellers are left alone for the most part :)

I am a firm believer in swishing filter pads in tank water before sypohinng the tank. No squeezing, just knocking and shaking. Same with sponge filters. That removes much of the detritus without disturbing their biological filtration capacity, and I'm not risking a pH, temp, or chlorine shock, either.

I change out my canister pads every 4-6 weeks at this point, because my fish are gross and messy ;). I try to use two pads in each media tray so I can change one and leave the other, to disturb the cycle minimally. In my internal power filter I swap out half the filter floss at a time, because that is the biological filtration media in there at present (I hadn't even thought about adding a few ceramic rings or volcanic rock to increase surface area!). Again, I went to be as minimally disruptive to the tank as possible, so I swish out the detritus in the tank water, chuck half the floss, and add half back in fresh, clean media. My syphon removes what I shake out very nicely.

Welcome to Kokos, Shahbazin.  You have the filter cleaning routine nailed.  Good job!  I'm a firm believer in removing the dirtiest water in every water change, which means vacuuming the bottom of the tank and emptying the dirty water from the filter, and while you're at it, rinsing the filters.  

You don't have to be particularly gentle when cleaning filter pads unless you are dealing with a tank that is cycling or just recently finished cycling.  The nitrifiers  are not hanging onto the surface by their toenails (or, technically, their pili) but rather are embedded in a thick (compared to a bacterium) matrix along with assorted colleagues in the water purification business, like ammonifiers and other heterotrophic decomposers.  The matrix is secreted by the microbes and gets thicker with time, which is why you should be gentler when cleaning a newly cycled filter.

OK, that's helpful to know I'm not overlooking something. I appreciate the advice about being a little more careful with new filter pads - this is a new tank, & I'm in the process of cycling it right now (using Dr. Tim's One & Only). I do vacuum the tank to get the water out, I figured that's the most efficient way.

One thing I would suggest is to stagger your cleanings. For example rather than doing both every 2 weeks, do the 110 one week, and the sponge the next week, then the 110 the next and the sponge the next... Probably not needed, but offers a safety margin.

Hello and Welcome.

I have the ac110 and two hydro pro V sponges in my goldfish tank.  I do a water change every 5 days and for the most part will rinse out all of my sponges every 10 days in the sink while my syphon is syphoning.  I rinse my media under that water coming out from under the syphon that is attached to your faucet.   Some of it is tank water and some from the faucet.  I don't have any problems with this method and it's been working for a long while.  Some people might think that you'll loose your beneficial bacteria but I've heard otherwise also.   I'll unplug my ac filter once a month and give it a nice rinsing and cleaning inside the unit.