* Ammonia Level(Tap) 1.0
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrate level(Tap) 0
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0-7.2
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)  7.6
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master test drops
* Water temperature? 72 F
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 gal about 1 month due to a move (see below)
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear HOB 110
* How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 25 %
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Friday 50 %
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish about 3 " length
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stress Coat and API Stress Zyme 
* What do you feed your fish and how often? sinking pellets 1 time a day
* Any new fish added to the tank? No
* Any medications added to the tank? No
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Nothing, I did move about 1 month ago about 3 streets over-don't know if it's same water source 
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? little bit of redness in tail veins
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting but will swim around if you stay in the room

One additional question to those on the form and what Chelsea asked:   Do you have a substrate?  If so, what kind and how deep is it?  bare bottom tank

I have high ammonia and high Nitrates. Not sure if it's the new water. I brought Callie over in water from our old house and have been adding treated tap water from new address with the water changes. Which I've done about 3 times. The last one being a 50% change: I freaked when I saw the deep forest Green reading on the ammonia. Never seen it that color before!!! I did notice the tap seems high in ammonia. Also, the water company does their "flush" thing in April/May but I usually get a notice-maybe there's residual chemicals still in the tap from that?

Could my bacterial buddies have died in the move? I kept the pellets in the filter with water from the tank. 

Should I do more water changes or is it making things worse? Anything else I can do? I have those ammonia pellets from AquaClear that you add to the filtering system would they help?

Have you tested your tap each time when doing a WC?  With only 1 fish in a 30 gallon a reading of 8 is really really high after less than a week, especially if you're only feeding once daily . . .  your bacteria should not have died in the move as long as they didn't dry out. 

Yes, test your tap.  If it's "only" at 1, do a 100% WC.  I'd also suggest getting some Prime to help detoxify your tap ammonia.

• Helper

Did you only get the high reading once? Once I got a really extrememely high reading like that and it totally freaked me out, I grabbed another test tube, made sure it was super rinsed and clean and did the test again twice and got 0 both times. All I can think was I messed up the test somehow or I didn't rinse the test tube properly and that affected the reading

Edited by FishyMandy

Yes. It has been like this since Monday and I'm not sure when it starting getting into those numbers. I usually check weekly. Today (Thurs) it's come down to 4.0. It's so weird. I've never had it go that high before. Usually my issues are the nitrites & nitrates, I can usually get the ammonia to come down with many water changes. 

If the ammonia level of your tank water is more than twice that of the tap water, do a 100% water change -- daily if necessary.  Also check with your water company about the ammonia level and tell them what you read.   Even if your tank was not cycled, 8.0 ppm ammonia should not happen.  

Please read our guidelines.  Your  regular water change schedule is less than we recommend even when you aren't having problems with parameters.

As Lisa and Jared both said, please get Seachem Prime immediately and double dose it.  This will protect your fish from the effects of ammonia.

Test the tap water. Post the result. Change all the water. There is no way a tiny fish in a 30 should produce that much ammonia in a small period of time with water changes

Thanks everyone; will keep you posted. Found my Prime and another test kit ( Seachem). Going to check with the other ammonia test to see if it's the chemicals. Then do a water change. Fish seems fine. Eating and swimming. Gobbled up a pea last night. Just seems to be lonely. Keeps banging the thermometer for someone to wave to her. We cant even watch a movie without her getting our attention! :)

Hi guys, I'm back. :hi  Been doing water changes like crazy. Double dosing the tank water with the Prime. The ammonia is still up to 2.0 ppm but that's better than the 8.0. Had something go weird on Sunday the Nitrite jumped to 0.25 now it's back down to 0 tonight. The Nitrates have been holding between 20 and 40 ppm. Anyone have any ideas of what could be going on? Fish is eating and swimming normally it seems. The redness in the tail veins comes and goes and doesn't appear to be getting worse or affecting her. She still gets mad when I disturb her home with all the water changes.

Anybody got any more ideas I could try? 

Hi yubonne.

I recently had some strange cycling issues also. I'm fairly new to the game but have learnt a bit so I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

I believe there were probably several factors that contributed to our ammonia issue, namely :

- Poor filter maintenance, When I actually lifted the mechanical layer (mesh sponge), my ceramic noodles were filthy. Cleaning this fixed the problem once.

- Poor gravel cleaning. Our gravel cleaner was not up to scratch and I therefore our gravel was holding a lot of built up waste

- We also added a plant we tried to hold on to for to long. It was going brown, flaking off and rotting in the tank adding ammonia.

I'm aware you have a bare bottom tank, so the gravel could not be the issue. I assume you have just one fish in the tank with no plants?

When you moved, how long was your tank... not running normally for? Perhaps your tank is still in the cycling stage. Im aware you saw a slight nitrite spike on Sunday... Are you getting any nitrites currently?

OK. Do the following.  Do not feed the fish before starting this.

Clean the filter (using tank water).  Just gently rinse the biomedia,  Don't scrub anything.

Do a 100% water change.  Do not scrub the tank, just change all of the water.

Test your tap water before you put it in the tank and report the parameters.

Return the filter to the tank, put the fish back in the tank, and test the parameters again.

Do not feed the fish for 24 hours.  Then test the tank water again and report the parameters.