New to plants

I have seen beautiful tanks with plants and I have no idea where to even start with them. I have been doing some research but don't understand a lot of it, could you please help me out on where to start? And how do you clean the tank with plants in it? Also do you put the plants in the gravel? Sorry so many questions.

What specifically don't you understand?

Yes, most plants can be planted in the substrate. They will grow in inert substrates or nutrient dense speciality soils. When you have plants in the tank, cleaning is much the same. Wipe down glass, suck up debris, etc. The only difference is there's no need to probe the substrate like you would with a gravel vac. Instead it's best to simply hover a few centimetres above and collect surface debris.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have. :)

For fertilisation there are several options. You can go with off the shelf fertilisers like Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel (which is a liquid carbon source) or mix fertilisers on your own and use a dosing schedule like the Estimative Index. The latter is more economical, but a bit more complex. Once you get the hang of it it's fairly simple though. Regardless of which fertiliser scheme you choose, dosing liquid carbon is beneficial unless of course you're injecting co2.

Lighting is also crucial as this dictates fertilisation rate and the amount of co2 needed. For this reason, the liquid version works great in low light. Do you know what sort of lighting you have/want/are looking at?

As for plants, what do you like the look of i.e. stems, epiphytes like moss or ferns, crypts, swords? While you're somewhat diminished in the amount of plants you can grow in low tech, there's still a wide variety. Some bog standard easy plants include: hygrophila polysperma, hygrophila difformis, ludwigia repens, java fern, amazon sword, cryptocoryne wendtii, jungle val and java moss.

Thanks so much, I have colour max lighting but I can get one for plants, easy to do. I love the look of moss and ferns a lot, moss is the best. Thanks I wrote it all down, going to try it.

Okay this might be a real dumb question but how do you fertalize the plants??? You don't put it in the tank do you, as you can tell I do not garden either, lol

They're fine. Overdosing can have adverse effects, but there's room for error. It's not so much a matter of adding slightly more than necessary, as it is, say, pouring in half the bottle.

Edited by dan in aus