Stocking suggestions for 12 gallon?

So I think I'm going to go with platys. I found this gorgeous picture on google and I can't resist.

Platys_zpsrziysbpv.jpg

I'm thinking maybe 5? I'm not sure what to do about some kind of clean-up crew for the bottom. My favorite is Kuhli loaches, but I would feel guilty keeping them on such a rough substrate. :(  Would shrimp work?

You would need at least 3 cories if you got some. They need groups to do well.

Courtney, I would remove the Cory from your Goldie tank. Once the fish get to decent size they could choke on it.

Edited by ChelseaM

Courtney, I would remove the Cory from your Goldie tank. Once the fish get to decent size they could choke on it.          

Thanks hun, I didn't know that, I will give it to my Aunt, she has corys in a tropical tank.

Edited by CourtneyandThunder

If it were me, I'd go with pygmy cories. I know cories don't get particularly large, but I always feel like they throw the scale of smaller tanks off.

As a person who was once somewhat addicted to having more and more tanks and ponds going, I would suggest that if you have to ask what to put in a tank, you don't need the tank. I have found that to be true for me, and also found that the more tanks and ponds I had, the less care I gave to each. Now I am finally down to one tank and one pond and both are well taken care of.

As a person who was once somewhat addicted to having more and more tanks and ponds going, I would suggest that if you have to ask what to put in a tank, you don't need the tank. I have found that to be true for me, and also found that the more tanks and ponds I had, the less care I gave to each. Now I am finally down to one tank and one pond and both are well taken care of.

We need to pin this advice.

True that.

Things work best for me if I first encounter a variety of fish that I absolutely positively MUST have.  I'm much more motivated to maintain the tank if it's fish that I adore.  I went through a huge puffer phase, keeping dwarf puffers a few times and then Figure 8s, but once they had died off, I realized my "puffer jones" had been satisfied and I dismantled the tanks.  Makes it easy when I run into something else I gotta try, like balloon mollies -- I had everything I needed at hand when I realized I couldn't live without them. ;)

And if I get the puffer itch again someday, I'll have all the stuff ready to go.

Would 3 cories and 5 platies be too much bioload for a 12 gallon?

I don't know if you stocked your tank already but I've heard that cory fish should be in groups of at least 6.  They will show their personality better in larger groups for they are a social fish and they won't get stressed from being in a smaller group.  With that said, I'm not following my suggestion because I have 5 cory fish in my tropical tank.  I see my five sleep, eat, and play together a lot.  I keep thinking about adding another one but I need/want to add a couple more oto's first.