Stocking suggestions for 12 gallon?

So I have a 12-gallon acrylic tank that has been sitting empty in my bedroom for some time. I am thinking about starting it up again, but I can't figure out a good plan on what to stock it with. I'd love to hear some suggestions! :D

• Helper

I love micro fish and invertabrates. A big school (10-12) of Galaxy Rasboras, cherry shrimp, and an apple snail in a planted tank is a ton of interesting fish behavior with a suitable bio load for that tank.

Two dwarf puffers! They're completely freshwater, and endlessly entertaining. Easily in my top 3 favorite fish of all time. They're super-friendly and will totally interact with you. Check out pics, you'll be smitten. :wub:

Here's a care sheet from the world's greatest puffer site:

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/puffers-in-focus/dwarfpuffercare/

I wish dwarf puffers were legal here. I second them, they always look like a lot of fun. If you're after smaller schooling fish some of my favourites include: spotted blue eyes, rasbora maculata, mosquito rasbora, neon tetras, green neon tetra, oryzias woworae and corydoras pygmaeus. :)

I like gouramies. They are so pretty.

gouramis get too big (unless you get dwarfs) for a 12 gallon tank.

Not really wrong just needed to be one of the dwarf varieties. :hug:

What are the dimensions of the tank?

:bingo:

I'm wondering the measurements of the tank also.  I personally think a dwarf gourami needs more space and depending on the length of the tank a school of neons might not have enough space in your tank.  

I love the idea mentioned above about getting a betta or a school of celestial pearl danio's aka galaxy rasbora's with a snail or/and shrimp.  I have a large school of cpd's and I love them.  I had to have three different pet stores/fish stores special order my fish for me.  They can be on the expensive side also but so worth it.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone! ^.^

First off: I absolutely love dwarf puffers, I think they're adorable and I've always wanted one, but I'm afraid they may be a bit too high maintenance for me. My understanding is that they require frozen or live foods exclusively, correct? Would they eat something like Repashy's Meat Pie? I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with keeping them.

I'm also liking the guppy idea. I was thinking about livebearers in general because of my water. I guess I should give you guys some more info:

It's a 12 gallon flat-back hex, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Aqua-Tanks-Uniquarium-Flat-Back-Aquariums/dp/B005VEX1BK

I've had it for roughly a thousand years.

No live plants for this tank. It's already decorated and it's tacky as hell. Pink rocks, fake purple plants, bubbly diver with treasure chest, the whole 9 yards. I've been dying to do a tacky tank. :P

I have super-hard water. pH is 8.2, GH and KH are high, too lazy to test right now, but my water is like liquid rock. So I'm somewhat nervous about doing any kind of tetras, sometimes they don't do so well in my water. I've had some success with green fires and glolights, but I've never been able to keep neons or cardinals alive for more than a week or two. :(  Which really bums me out because I think cardinal tetras are some of the most gorgeous fish on the planet.

• Helper

I have a deep, dark, secret passion for tacky tanks. I don't want them in my living room, but my bedroom? FUUUUN!

• Supporter

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone! ^.^

First off: I absolutely love dwarf puffers, I think they're adorable and I've always wanted one, but I'm afraid they may be a bit too high maintenance for me. My understanding is that they require frozen or live foods exclusively, correct? Would they eat something like Repashy's Meat Pie? I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with keeping them.

I'm also liking the guppy idea. I was thinking about livebearers in general because of my water. I guess I should give you guys some more info:

It's a 12 gallon flat-back hex, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Aqua-Tanks-Uniquarium-Flat-Back-Aquariums/dp/B005VEX1BK

I've had it for roughly a thousand years.

No live plants for this tank. It's already decorated and it's tacky as hell. Pink rocks, fake purple plants, bubbly diver with treasure chest, the whole 9 yards. I've been dying to do a tacky tank. [emoji14]

I have super-hard water. pH is 8.2, GH and KH are high, too lazy to test right now, but my water is like liquid rock. So I'm somewhat nervous about doing any kind of tetras, sometimes they don't do so well in my water. I've had some success with green fires and glolights, but I've never been able to keep neons or cardinals alive for more than a week or two. :( Which really bums me out because I think cardinal tetras are some of the most gorgeous fish on the planet.

Platys is my vote. I'd say around 5. I'd get 5 different colors. Lol Edited by Daniel E.

Platties or guppies would be best in there :) and some Cory cats too! I wouldn't recommend putting dwarf gouramis or mollies in there.

• Admin

If it was me I would do guppies and Mollies or one or the other.... They are very easy to deal with... Just a filter, some fake plants in there.. If you have male and females, you will want some floating plants or plants that go to the top. Reason for this is that the fry need a place to live and to get away from the adults or they get eaten....

The filter I like to use one that will filter the tank 10x an hour just like goldfish.... I found it works for me alot better than the suggested filter advice on the boxes.... A good 50% water change once a week and twice a week if you are over populated :lol like me....

they are very easy to do, they dont mine high ph at all :)

You're correct, dwarf puffers won't eat pellet or flake foods. But frozen bloodworms are a perfect staple diet for them, if you don't want to mess around with live food. (If you do, though, live blackworms are their favorite and are super-easy, you just keep 'em in the fridge and dump their water every other day, and top them off with fresh water at the sink, takes 10 seconds).

I am the QUEEN of tacky tanks!

My dwarf puffer pirate themed tank, including air-action skeleton steering a ship's wheel:

pufftank.jpg

Figure 8 Puffer tropical tiki tank:

fulltank.jpg

The original Tacky Tiki Tank (with bubbling bamboo wall and red-lit bubbling volcano):

totmentry.jpg

Edited by RanchuDressing

• Helper

RanchuDressing, I crown thee with a sparkly, rhinestoned party favor crown in honor of your extremely ostentatious tank designs. They're so awful they're ADORABLE! You somehow managed to balance scale and elements very well, they're just... plastic and plaster instead of plants and rocks.

You win.