Is this normal goldfish behaviour?

Whoa it's been awhile since I've been on this forum. Hello everyone~

Anyways, I was wondering if I could ask for some advice.

I have a 45 gallon tank and I was housing my ryukin, Thrash, and my tiny telescope goldfish named Scootz. A few days ago I noticed that my telescope was missing and I couldn't find her anywhere, until I saw her huddled in topmost corner of the tank. I assumed the worst and thought she was dead since she was just bobbing near the surface. Thankfully she was still alive. But the concerning thing was that half her back fin was missing and her front fins were almost gone! 

So I rushed and grabbed my spare 10 gallon tank and as I was preparing it, I noticed that Thrash was nipping at her. I don't have anything in the main tank that has any sharp edges to catch on Scootz, so I'm assuming that he was the cause of her missing finnage. At the moment, I have them separated, and her fins seem to be showing some signs of new growth but I'm afraid to put her back into the 45 gallon in case it happens again. I've had them for a year or so, and it's never been a problem before so I have no idea what the cause of it was. I never really knew that goldfish could be aggressive like that. Sigh. :(

:hi

I wouldn't say it's normal behavior for a fish to suddenly become aggressive towards another fish it's been with for a year.  I'm going to move this thread to the D&D section and copy and paste a form for you to fill out . . . .

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

• Helper

Aggression is rare but it can happen - however I usually see it right after water changes and when one is frisky. It tends to be breeding behavior more than real territorial aggression, especially in a tank that size. Goldfish 'aggression' doesn't reach the level of, say, tanganyikan cichlid aggression ;)

So be sure you have multiple hiding places like floating plants or backless terra cotta pots to break up the territory and give him a safe place to retreat. Some big bunches of Elodea can do a world of good for situations like this :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Ah sorry! I didn't mean to put this in the wrong topic~ I think I may have to add some hiding spots for sure, since the tank's pretty minimal when it comes to decorations. Thanks for the suggestions.

·         Test Results for the Following:

·         * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.0

·         * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0.0

·         * Nitrate level(Tank) 5.0

·         * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.0

·         * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0.0

·         * Nitrate level(Tap) 0.0

·         * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0

·         * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0

·         Other Required Info:

·         * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop test kit.

·         * Water temperature? 21 degrees Celsius.

·         * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 45 gallons, and about 2 years.

·         * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval C4 – 264 gph

·         * How often do you change the water and how much? I usually do a 90% water change every week or so, on Tuesdays if possible.

·         * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? About a week ago.

·         * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, I would say Thrash is about 5 inches and Scootz is maybe 2?

·         * What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use Prime.

·         * What do you feed your fish and how often? I feed them twice a day, roughly about 60-70 pellets at a time.

·         * Any new fish added to the tank? Nope.

·         * Any medications added to the tank? None.

·         * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None at this time. I do all my treatments in a separate hospital tank. I’ve just been using some salt on Scootz to help her fins.

·         * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? None.

·         * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None other than the random aggressive behavior from my ryukin.

Edited by GrinningLotus

The form looks good.  You might want to add a second filter as your fish grow to get the GPH around 450.  It's also good to have a second filter in case one konks out.  

Salt in QT is a good plan.  I would recommend a 0.1% concentration (1 Teaspoon per gallon).  Once the fins are healed and if she is healthy and active, I would introduce her back to the main tank on a day where you will be home to observe their behavior.  Add some hiding places and remove her again or divide the tank if he is too aggressive.

I agree with Jared. I wanted to make sure water parameters were good and you were doing regular WCs to rule out behavior issues due to a poor environment. That doesn't seem to be the case. It hink the environment is so good, someone is feeling a little frisky. :ehh

Ah, so it was most likely just breeding behaviour. I'm so glad that it wasn't anything serious. Silly Thrash, he needs to learn to be a little more gentle with the ladies... Heh. :P

I've been meaning to get a canister filter for awhile now so maybe I'll have to look at that alternative, if not I'll definitely grab a secondary filter for sure.

Thank you for the suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it! I'm just happy my little Scootz will be alright.

Here are some pictures of her sad finnage at the moment, Thrash nommed them pretty hard... I'm happy the webbing seems to be mending itself though and her front fins look like they're coming back. 

20150506_201846_zpszrajdks6.jpg

20150506_201843_zps58oqetco.jpg

Awwww, Scootz is a cutie! Sorry to see she got a bit beat up by her tank mate -- seems like he may be taking his name too seriously :teehee . I hope she heals quickly! 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

After seeing the pics, we have some concerns that this might be more than just breeding behavior.  Once Scootz is healed, I would only let them together on a trail basis when you are home to monitor.  Maybe you could get a divider for the tank to use when you are away until you are sure Thrash is going to be a gentleman.