Riparium home for my Betta

I moved Crimson into a 10g filled half way up because he was having a hard time getting to the top of his other tank.

I planted it and am just waiting on some plants to go in the back that are semi-aquatic. I didn't realize but someone told me this setup is called a Riparium.  I added a nerite and a few cherry shrimp too :)

From the top looking down:

d5480a37397cfe5d27249b750aadf70a_zps6eqt

bd73aa5d0b9351a33e20ba7f2bbc3601_zpsq6ad

Edited by CindiL

What plants are you getting to grow Riparium style?  I have a few Rain Lilies available if you'd like them:  http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121335-for-sale-plants-and-planters/

Check out some other Riparium examples: 

This is one starting out:

27-VII-12-tank-I-m.jpg

Here is what they can look like when grown in:

c2a6ed.jpg

30-iv-12-tank-i-b.jpg

Oh wow, love love how those look!  Definitely how I want mine to look.

I have on order 2 of the cyperus dwarf umbrella sedge plants (I think whats in most of the photos here?)

and one aluminum plant and 3 of the plastic planters.  Feeling frustrated as I ordered them a week ago.  I "think" they are finally shipping them today as I'm ready to cancel it.

I would be interested in your lillies and a couple planters and maybe a raft.  It wasn't clear to me how they worked?  and any other plants you could recommend to go in the rafts.  I have a regular umbrella plant already (you can see it in my picture.  Right now its just kind of hanging by the heater cord.)

I think I read that anubias, java ferns and swords can be grown immersed? (hope thats the right word).

Edited by CindiL

Oh wow, love love how those look!  Definitely how I want mine to look.

I have on order 2 of the cyperus dwarf umbrella sedge plants (I think whats in most of the photos here?)

and one aluminum plant and 3 of the plastic planters.  Feeling frustrated as I ordered them a week ago.  I "think" they are finally shipping them today as I'm ready to cancel it.

I would be interested in your lillies and a couple planters and maybe a raft.  It wasn't clear to me how they worked?  and any other plants you could recommend to go in the rafts.  I have a regular umbrella plant already (you can see it in my picture.  Right now its just kind of hanging by the heater cord.)

I think I read that anubias, java ferns and swords can be grown immersed? (hope thats the right word).

Yes, umbrella sedge is the tallest plant in the 2nd photo.  I used to have it, it's a good plant, and so is aluminum plant.

Only the Rain Lilies are currently available and I'd be glad to set you up with some.  I can throw in a few odd and ends that will grow well.  I will reply to your PM now.  :D

In a high humidity tank, anubias, java fern and swords will grow out of water, but it needs to be real humid.

This is so cool!  I have never seen tanks like this before.

I always like to promote Ripariums when I can.  It's a nice way to get plant growth with boisterous fish (goldfish, cichlids, etc.) and it's sometimes the only way to get flowers in an aquarium. 

Another gorgeous tank, Cindi.  Your betta must love it.  You've had him for awhile haven't you?  

Arco, I love all those plants in those two photo's.  The tanks are gorgeous also with all those tall plants.

Another gorgeous tank, Cindi.  Your betta must love it.  You've had him for awhile haven't you?  

Arco, I love all those plants in those two photo's.  The tanks are gorgeous also with all those tall plants.

Yeah, in a couple months I will have had him for two years!  He doesn't swim much anymore, just lies in the wisteria at the top these days.  Seems quite happy though.

Yeah, in a couple months I will have had him for two years!  He doesn't swim much anymore, just lies in the wisteria at the top these days.  Seems quite happy though.

Two years almost!  That's great.  I remember you saying somewhere about his health not being the best.  My Diego was with us for only a year but my daughter had two betta's and one of them had a third birthday with us.  The other betta was over two, maybe three, don't remember exactly.  Your betta I'm sure is quite happy in his new home.

That is looking very beautiful Cindi :) Crimson has a nice home in that cool tank!

I haven't seen you on here in a long time! How are your Tropical fish doing?

That is looking very beautiful Cindi :) Crimson has a nice home in that cool tank!

I haven't seen you on here in a long time! How are your Tropical fish doing?

They're all doing great!  I miss being here, I miss the close knit group here.  I've been on some other forums which are ok but they're huge and definitely not as personal.  I feel like I can help out new aquarium owners in those types of places which is nice though.  Just not enough community fish stuff goes on here which I understand as its predominantly goldies :)

He's getting old, I had one for 1 1/2 years, love bettas. 

Yeah he sure is.  I hope he makes it to two!

Your new plants look great in the tank.  I love the top view of them. :)

I was cleaning my betta tank today and found a baby cherry shrimp!  He had actually been taken out with my anubias while I did a vacuum.  I found him swimming in there when I put them back in.  Once I determined it wasn't a bug of some sort, I put him back in.  Very cute.

• 2 months later...